Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Private schools

globaldiver

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, bolty58 said:

The daft cunts are still fighting an ideological class war from the 50's.

They would rather hinder potential genius by placing it with dunces to arrive at their definition of 'fairness'.

Just another nail in their electoral coffin.

Have you ever noticed that whenever Corbyn is out on the streets, he is flanked by a number of ugly, poorly attired women who get stroppy if a reporter tries to ask a question. Like a bloody cult.

• Members
7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Have you ever noticed that whenever Corbyn is out on the streets, he is flanked by a number of ugly, poorly attired women who get stroppy if a reporter tries to ask a question. Like a bloody cult.

I do hope you are not including the delightful Diane Abacus?

If she really was his population paste receptacle I dips me lid. He is  braver man than I.

• Site Supporter
30 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

This is what happens when you let your members decide on policy....it might be democratic but its utterly mental. As mental as asking the population to vote on an incredibly complex and misunderstood trade and economic partnership...oh.....

Yawn. Back to the thickos again.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

You know how normal kids do GCSEs? Well this is the piss easy version the posh kids take. ;)

Are exam results from the town still published?

Don't remember Bolton school doing anything different.

Is this a big thing in private schools then?

8 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It is a cult

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Don’t know what Bolton school do but only independent schools can sit iGCSE 

Decided to have a look at wiki.

Seems state schools could and did (some still do) do them.

Government then changed its approach and funding so not many state ones do it now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_General_Certificate_of_Secondary_Education

Doesn't seem all that bad on the face of it.

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

The DFE seem to disagree.

Now then, going off the dates on Wikipedia, and a quick look at an article in the guardian, it seems that the changes in government attitude towards the IGCSE changed around the time that GCSE was upgraded and made tougher by Gove's department.

So there seems to have been a shift from the IGCSE being regarded as at least equivalent of better in years gone by, to being less rigorous than the newly revamped qualification.

Guess we'll see what happens in time, if the private ones are still around to amend their courses.

• Site Supporter

From what I have read and from speaking to teachers at my lads schools, all exams from SATs to GCSEs are much tougher these days. They don't have an issue with that as such but were annoyed at the way the new exams were implemented without sufficient time to adjust the curriculum accordingly. Basically, a year (maybe two) of kids were shafted which seems counterproductive to me.

• Site Supporter

I gcses will be gone soon enough, 

However forcing kids to retake maths until they pass is a pretty awful policy.

A quote today that stood out "removing private schools will legally make HS2 look like building a station"..

Private schools spokespeople have already pointed out that the last major change to schools by a labour government was in court for 5 years and got rejected, (charitable status rights)

That and 2/3 of Judges being privately educated.  

The legislation would also have s knock on effect for any private educational establishment such as tutoring, nursery, colleges and unis, even driving schools and training facilities.  

Plus not to mention 600,000 more students entering a stretched state system, an extra 3.6 billion for the government to find..

Wont happen..  

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

I gcses will be gone soon enough, 

However forcing kids to retake maths until they pass is a pretty awful policy.

A quote today that stood out "removing private schools will legally make HS2 look like building a station"..

Private schools spokespeople have already pointed out that the last major change to schools by a labour government was in court for 5 years and got rejected, (charitable status rights)

That and 2/3 of Judges being privately educated.  

The legislation would also have s knock on effect for any private educational establishment such as tutoring, nursery, colleges and unis, even driving schools and training facilities.  

Plus not to mention 600,000 more students entering a stretched state system, an extra 3.6 billion for the government to find..

Wont happen..  

Of course it won't, it is bloody illegal for a start!

What is wrong with folk these days? Instead of tackling issues properly we simply blame others instead of finding solutions.

• Site Supporter

That is the crux of it, blaming others. 

Labour want to create a more inclusive education system, and want to level the playing field getting more working class kids into uni, however, rather than looking at the problem from the bottom up, (The pupil premium scheme is fantastic but not always properly utilized to create opportunities). Students should be encouraged from a young age to aim high, told about what they can achieve and the best way to achieve this. This should start at home as its more sincere than through school, but it isn't always the case. 

Open evening last week and I heard time and time again "oh it wasnt like this when i was at school". Parents have the single biggest impact on kids learning upto about 12 years old and by that point most kids have already decided which they they feel about school, after that it's a 50:50 role of DNA and influence from peer groups (David Didau), so if your kid has already decided that school is pointless and don't want to go to uni and college by 12, that boat (in most cases) has sailed. 

Schools are now being asked to try and encourage these things and in some cases it does work, but not all.. I don't know the answer, I genuinely don't, but it's wrong to blame parents who will work hard to send their kids to better schools for that. 

I'm sure that someone else far more knowledgeable than me can explain the technical name for when a government tries to make everyone equal by toppling the successful. It is very hypocritical for a Party who's leader went to a boarding school and prep school, and their shadow education secretary has no formal qualifications or GCSE's. Hypocritical or the inmates running the asylum?

I'd love my daughter to go to Bolton School. MY wife isn't set on it, and wants her to go to St James. There is no changing her mindset on that, Wifey goes to church weekly anyway and we live in catchment so it would be the nearest school. Harper Green is the next closest, and that one just isn't on the cards.