Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Not forgetting Eddie ...

Benny The Ball

Seems like the SupportersTrust has forgotten and so has Iles. Not suprised in the least by either of them but for those who missed my earlier posting, here's a memoriam published in IOM Today.

EDDIE DAVIES 11th September 2018 One year has sadly passed. With treasured memories of a dearly loved husband. You are in my thoughts every day and I miss the love and laughter we shared for 32 years. With all my love, Sue.

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, HomerJay said:

id name the bloody stadium after him.

Unfortunately, there are a number of "climate change denier" types who will not have a good word said about him.

Seemingly lost money on shares in the club that they thought would yield huge profits.

I agree with the sentiment though. Perhaps a stand, or even the area upon which the stadium site. Davies park for example.

31 minutes ago, Chris Custodiet said:

Seems like the SupportersTrust has forgotten and so has Iles. Not suprised in the least by either of them but for those who missed my earlier posting, here's a memoriam published in IOM Today.

EDDIE DAVIES 11th September 2018 One year has sadly passed. With treasured memories of a dearly loved husband. You are in my thoughts every day and I miss the love and laughter we shared for 32 years. With all my love, Sue.

Thought it would be appropriate of reminding us all of the ST's stance on Eddie Davies (and the EDT) from the public forum they had a few months ago in April -

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/17577994.bolton-misery-started-with-eddie-davies-claims-trust-chairman/

34 minutes ago, Sluffy said:

Thought it would be appropriate of reminding us all of the ST's stance on Eddie Davies (and the EDT) from the public forum they had a few months ago in April -

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/17577994.bolton-misery-started-with-eddie-davies-claims-trust-chairman/

Don't they have a point here?

The guy pumped millions of his own cash in and should rightly be lauded and honoured.  What he didn't do (or rather the bloke he put in charge didn't)was safeguard against the inevitable day when we got relegated.

41 minutes ago, Sluffy said:

Those words don't paint Eddie in a positive light.

5 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

The guy pumped millions of his own cash in and should rightly be lauded and honoured.  What he didn't do (or rather the bloke he put in charge didn't)was safeguard against the inevitable day when we got relegated.

Which relegation are you talking about? He'd already spent about £140m when we  were relegated in 2012. Why don't you try going through the accounts and see how much money ED pumped in after that? Sue Davies must have had the patience of a saint.

How many years funding are you expecting FV to provide for next year in case we get relegated and then get relegated again?

20 minutes ago, Chris Custodiet said:

Which relegation are you talking about? He'd already spent about £140m when we  were relegated in 2012. Why don't you try going through the accounts and see how much money ED pumped in after that? Sue Davies must have had the patience of a saint.

How many years funding are you expecting FV to provide for next year in case we get relegated and then get relegated again?

Either or both.

He chose to spend all his millions on the club, without using some of those millions to safeguard the long term interest's of the club.

Wigan enjoyed as many years in the prem as we did, went into Europe, won a trophy and employed Owen Coyle without coming as close to bankruptcy as we did. 

10 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Either or both.

He chose to spend all his millions on the club, without using some of those millions to safeguard the long term interest's of the club.

Wigan enjoyed as many years in the prem as we did, went into Europe, won a trophy and employed Owen Coyle without coming as close to bankruptcy as we did. 

That's because they sold the club - to people wanting to take it on.

ED's failing (or the people who worked for him) was not selling the club at a point where it could attract interest. But in fairness it was a perfect storm of events - we were relegated just as prem money had huge increase. Whilst there were signs - it was also not exactly expected we'd go down that season either. 

6 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

That's not what is being said though???

What Rigby is saying is that Eddie turned down much better bids to sell to Holdsworth and sold off and mortgaged everything he was able to before leaving the club in the lurch!

He also goes on to say that EDT had not acted in the best interests of the club (in his and no doubt the ST's Boards views as per Nightingale's outburst at the end of the meeting).

Also where does Rigby and the ST believe the story's of other bidders being turned down come from?

This is what Eddie said at the time of the sale to Holdsworth -

“That is people coming to great conclusions with zero information,” he said of suggestion his decision to sell-up hastened the club’s decline. “We didn’t deliberately put ourselves in this position".

“I think a lot of the local press publicity has been very, very negative, not based on real information but on rumour, and in fact based on downright lies.

“I think the thing that does gall is that I believe when they print these things they should state their sources of the comments, not just publish them as facts, which quite a lot of people will assume they are facts, which they are not.”

Also -

Eddie Davies claims his four-year effort to sell Bolton Wanderers culminated in just one bidder coming up with the cash.

Commenting on his departure as owner after 13 years, the Isle of Man businessman revealed the Sports Shield and Inner Circle consortium fronted by Dean Holdsworth and Ken Anderson was the only viable option when he handed over control of the club earlier this month.

Davies claimed previously up to 50 parties had expressed an interest in buying his majority stake in Wanderers since they fell out of the Premier League in 2012.

Nevertheless, the club came within a whisker of going into voluntary administration or even liquidation before a deal was finally struck.

“That (finance) is what it all boiled down to,” said Davies. “I have been quoted as saying we dealt with four different parties and these (Sports Shield) are the only ones who showed us they had the money to do the deal. So we did the deal with them.”

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk/t13521-eddie-davies-takeover-ended-up-being-a-one-horse-race

Seems to me the ST much rather believes our esteemed club reporter than the words of Eddie himself!

And where did Mr Iles get his information from - well certainly not from Eddie or Phil Gartside!

Mr Davies once shook my hand in the tunnel at Portsmouth and I recall Phil Gartside leaning over to tell me: “That’s the closest you’ll ever get to an interview.”

That is the way things worked for years. Gartside was the voice of the boardroom until he too withdrew from the public eye. And I am sorry to say that was long before the sad illness that claimed his life.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk/t13537-refusing-to-talk-then-blaming-the-press-for-bad-pr-is-a-standard-fall-back

Maybe Iles and the ST got it from this man?

Iles article continues...

Dean Holdsworth has already shown a willingness to communicate that bodes well for the future, and thankfully the long-suffering media department are no longer operating under the restrictive shackles they once did. They too may now be able to operate with the creative freedom afforded to their counterparts at other clubs.

It will take some time but things appear to be improving, heck, there was even talk of Mr Davies giving a press conference the other day in his new role as club president.

I’ll be front and centre. I wouldn’t want to miss it.

Holdsworth, the ST and Iles all on the same side since the beginning it seems to me - even before Anderson's name was even really mentioned.

Just a coincidence?

22 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Either or both.

Eh???

First a fact Wigan spent 8 seasons in the PL, we spent 13.

Second how do you safeguard the long term interests of something you no longer own?

Davies is on the record as saying that he was trying to sell the club for four years before his finances ran out and he sold to Holdsworth as the only bidder to show proof of funding to do a deal.

And the he wrote off around £200m of his own wealth in order for the sale to even be achievable

What else would you have had him to be done?

9 minutes ago, HomerJay said:

Sluffy, you really need a hobby mate.

My career's been about sorting fact out from fiction, so stuff like this is really second nature to me.

If you know where to look it really doesn't take much time doing so either.

Thanks for your concern about me though.

I appreciate it.

I think Eddie pretty much left the financial side of the business to Gartside and trusted him too much and perhaps turned a blind eye to his profligacy. Things appeared to have come to a head shortly before Gartside died at which point Eddie decided enough was enough and started to look for an exit.

1 minute ago, Hoppy510 said:

I think Eddie pretty much left the financial side of the business to Gartside and trusted him too much and perhaps turned a blind eye to his profligacy. Things appeared to have come to a head shortly before Gartside died at which point Eddie decided enough was enough and started to look for an exit.

If you had bothered to read the thread you might have noticed that Eddie had stated that he was looking 'for an exit' for the previous four years before the eventual sale to Holdsworth.

13 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

Just isn't the case. Eddie was happy to fund it as he was doing but then started to turn the taps off. PG was working on a plan to bring some people together (including one of our current owners) to buy the club from ED - then sadly was suddenly taken ill and never recovered. 

ED knew the position of the club and plans of the board - its not a case of him being "too trusting". He also knew he wanted out for while but was persuaded to keep supporting it till the plan to take it off his hands could be realised. The redevelopment of parts of the site that PG proposed were part of his ED succession plan.