Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Not forgetting Eddie ...

Benny The Ball

• Site Supporter
49 minutes ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

I'm not going to give you a point by point response because the issue is quite simple.

In summer 2015 Ben Amos was given a 4 year contract at a reported £17k a week. Darren Pratley also signed a new contract, 2yrs IIRC. 

Why did Davies allow these contracts to be given out only for us to end up struggling to pay bills by the autumn? 

Why didn't we start to cut our cloth more accordingly earlier? 

It's possible to ask these questions and still recognise EDs unparalleled contribution to our club. But as I said earlier Iles publicly asking on the anniversary of EDs death stinks. 

Those contracts would have been handed out by those actually doing the day to day running of the club.

I'm unsure how much, if any, involvement Ed would have had.

Rightly or wrongly, but it does seem that he wasn't heavily involved.

This is supposed to be a thread about remembering Eddie but it is turning into taken over part 2. My suggestion would be to wait until later in the season when things have hopefully settled down on and off the pitch and then rename the west stand after Eddie. We could have a family/community day with tickets at £5 in the hope of getting more through the turnstiles and invite his family along. That should show the family that we appreciate all the effort and a thanks for the memories 

26 minutes ago, Chicken dippers said:

This is supposed to be a thread about remembering Eddie but it is turning into taken over part 2. My suggestion would be to wait until later in the season when things have hopefully settled down on and off the pitch and then rename the west stand after Eddie. We could have a family/community day with tickets at £5 in the hope of getting more through the turnstiles and invite his family along. That should show the family that we appreciate all the effort and a thanks for the memories 

Correct -    With the benefit of hindsight - perhaps it would be a more fitting tribute If one of the moderators close this thread 

2 hours ago, Chris Custodiet said:

Yours is the typical response of the terminally evasive and isn't everything simple for the simple-minded?Just answer the first point first will you?

There’s an official club post on FB where you can air your views and further your life’s work and cause. 

Dont think you will will though😉

3 hours ago, Chris Custodiet said:

Two small voices speaking out against the gormless propaganda of Eyewash Iles and the ST dunderheads and you just can't handle it.

Aye you're a feckin hero.  For a bloke who likes to patronise and thinks he's superior to others..you really are a grade A bell end.

Edited by Duck Egg

On 11/09/2019 at 15:44, Sluffy said:

Second how do you safeguard the long term interests of something you no longer own?

What Jack Hayward did after 17 years of funding Wolverhampton with more expensive players than their normal budget would  allow and paying to redevelop Molineux, was to write off every penny of Wolves' debt before selling the club. 

A club with zero debt is obviously in better shape for the future than a club  with as much debt as one that Eddie Davies left Bolton with.

33 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:
What Jack Hayward did after 17 years of funding Wolverhampton with more expensive players than their normal budget would  allow and paying to redevelop Molineux, was to write off every penny of Wolves' debt before selling the club. 

A club with zero debt is obviously in better shape for the future than a club  with as much debt as one that Eddie Davies left Bolton with.

Davies left some of his debt in the club to prevent asset stripping - you can sell of property or land someone has already got head secured credit on.

Good job he did to as that allowed EDT to appoint the Administrator and ultimately do the deal to safe the club from liquidation.

Eddie also wrote off £200m of debt owed to him.

20 minutes ago, Sluffy said:

Davies left some of his debt in the club to prevent asset stripping - you can sell of property or land someone has already got head secured credit on.

Good job he did to as that allowed EDT to appoint the Administrator and ultimately do the deal to safe the club from liquidation.

Really shouldn’t need explaining. 

Jesus wept

9 hours ago, Sluffy said:

Can we clarify something.

Are you arguing that Jack Hayward who left Wolves with zero debts because he paid them all off didn't leave Wolves in a better financial position than Eddie Davies who left Bolton with huge debts ?

I doubt the HMRC who took Eddie Davies' Bolton to court over unpaid PAYE and VAT in 2016  would agree with you.

And I doubt all the creditors who have have just been paid 35 pence in the pound, 3 years after Eddie Davies passed the debts on would agree with you.

It’s nothing to do with the debt that he left in. We didn’t pay interest on the debt, we weren’t repaying the debt, it was completely meaningless other than a safeguard against a rogue owner.

The problem was the level of losses that we were incurring each and every month, mainly because we had players on 2/3/4 year contracts and earning way more than the club could afford once we were out of the Prem.

The only way he could have safeguarded would have been to instruct Gartside and the others running the club day to day to move towards balancing the books and becoming self sufficient, which would have taken 3-4 years due to the length of player contracts. That alone isn’t easy, and lets be honest would have had supporters up in arms as it would have been seen as us going backwards, throw in a relegation, which he could do nothing about, and you have the perfect storm. We either battened down the hatches straight away, sold off everyone we could, let all out of contract players leave and start signing players on similar wages to what we are doing now, or we gamble, spend the cash for 1 or 2 years in the hope that you go back up to the money machine.

It’s well known that Ed gambled, which I’d say was a decision made by the fan in him rather than the business man. The gamble didn’t pay off and we were left with players on contracts too big for the club to sustain alone for another 2-3 years. That’s when shit hit the fan.

Personally I think the only way that we could have “safeguarded” against what happened was to always live to a crisis plan, even when in the prem. That means that you always budget for the worst case scenario, I.e relegation that year and the following 2 years in the championship with the parachute payments. From there you know the minimum amount of cash that will be coming in over the next 3 years and can offer contracts that fit your budget, most of which would need relegation release clauses, and or would have been 1-2 year deals (which aren’t too common for the better prem players). The problem with that is that we were top 8 for 4 years running. Once you hit that level, how do you attract the right manager (or keep him in our case), the right players and keep the fans happy when you are running the club as if you will be relegated that season. 

It’s a balancing act that got harder and harder every year our success grew. The main reason for the demise was on the footballing side, bad managers bought the wrong players on high value contracts with little chance of making good money by selling them on. None of which Ed had much say on.

Jack Hayward left wolves with similar cashflow problems to ours. They had mad contracts and leases on all sorts. 

Steve Morgan came in with £30m of his own dough and sorted it all out then sold to a billionaire. 

It’s really not hard to find this kind of stuff out and I’m really not sure why it’s being discussed. 

7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Jack Hayward left wolves with similar cashflow problems to ours. They had mad contracts and leases on all sorts. 

Steve Morgan came in with £30m of his own dough and sorted it all out then sold to a billionaire. 

It’s really not hard to find this kind of stuff out and I’m really not sure why it’s being discussed. 

Some people like to account for every paper clip.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

On 12/09/2019 at 09:01, Chris Custodiet said:

You won't because you can't. The world is very simple to those who can't think beyond the first thing that comes into their heads.

Spending your days continuing to post almost exclusively about a journalist for a paper you don't buy, who you're upset with because he said mean things about a dodgy businessman you have no connection to, who's only relevance is that he used to own a football club you don't watch and have no interest in beyond its balance sheets.

And you're the clever one here? 

5 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

Spending your days continuing to post almost exclusively about a journalist for a paper you don't buy, who you're upset with because he said mean things about a dodgy businessman you have no connection to, who's only relevance is that he used to own a football club you don't watch and have no interest in beyond its balance sheets.

Quality

7 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

Brutal takedown Tom.

Bravo Sir. 

19 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

When did WWays ban swearing?

Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to. Sometimes it's gets the point across sometimes other terms are better.

Don't want to speak on Custard's behalf, though.I arssume he'd come out with some clichéd tripe about swearing being the choice of those of limited vocabulary. Which I think is demonstrably horseshit. I'm all for a bit of industrial language especially of the creative 'Malcolm Tucker' style.