Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sunderland (H)

Okocha10

3 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

Enjoyed the last 2 performances more than 99% of what I had seen over the past 4-5 years 

a plan (which had attacking intent), composure, ability, fight & determination 

a decent performance, happy but disappointed with a point, almost feels like a defeat but looking at the bigger picture, absolutely made up 

positivity amongst everyone else too. What a difference a month or so makes 

Great summary.  To add to it, I like the players.  I mean, when did we last have a team we liked?  No Pratley, no Taylor (Andy or Chris), no Madine, no Trotter, no Wildschut, no Proctor, no Wilbraham, no Thorpe.  Just footballers.

2 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Important to remember the leader almost lead Barnsley to relegation before he got sacked and almost lead Rochdale to league 2 obscurity before he got sacked.

Rochdale have almost always been in League 2

33 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Not many penalty takers ‘place’ the ball these days. Yes, they pick their spot but hit it with pace. Make a guess or stay rooted and hope it hits you are the only 2 ways these days 

In fairness McGeady tried to place one v Rotherham in midweek and had it saved  So Remi would have been aware of that you would hope. 

2 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Important to remember the leader almost lead Barnsley to relegation before he got sacked and almost lead Rochdale to league 2 obscurity before he got sacked.

So he kept Barnsley up in the championship is what you're saying.  Not many have done that in recent times.  And the reason Rochdale nearly got relegated is because they were in the highest division of their history, because he put them there.  

7 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Fucking hell custard just when I thought you couldn't excel yourself! 

Go easy on him pal, it's good to see him talking football. 

Though like you I'm unsure what relevance the late, great Eddie Hopkinson's technique has in 2019? Even Jussi's penalty style is out of date now as stepping off the line has been stamped down on. 

Mathews.....those saves in the 2nd half were the best set of saves I've seen in 1 game from a BW keeper for donkeys years.  Breathtaking.  It beggars belief that some fans don't rate him, for me he's been quality from day one.  But he made a mistake v Wigan which seems to be the only thing some fans remember.

6 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Mathews.....those saves in the 2nd half were the best set of saves I've seen in 1 game from a BW keeper for donkeys years.  Breathtaking.  It beggars belief that some fans don't rate him, for me he's been quality from day one.  But he made a mistake v Wigan which seems to be the only thing some fans remember.

He made a mistake against Wycombe as well. Not really fair to single him out during the run of goals being conceded otherwise this season. Personally I prefer Alnwick, but in fairness to Matthews he was excellent on Tuesday and even better today. 

Quest didn’t show us hitting the post, shithouses. 

And, speaking of shithousery, looks like we’ve finally been coaching the ball boys not to give the ball back when we’re winning judging by the two efforts in the second half 😂👏

Edited by Leyther_Matt

In my opinion Alnwick doesnt get near a couple of those saves today, he's simply not tall enough or agile enough. And the reports would have said the keeper had no chance. Last time we were in Div 1 I think the only quality shot I saw from distance by the opposition was Oztumer for Walsall.  Sunderland produced 3 Championship standard shots today and Alnwick doesnt save them, but I like him and he'll do what's required against most sides in this division when called upon.  Mathews mistake at Wycombe probably wouldnt happen now that he has a normal team in front of him, he was probably trying to do too much as its not his style to come rushing out to play like a sweeper.  He wont be playing much more of his career below Championship level.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

They would have to be unattached.  I looked through the unattached list the other day and I'm struggling to think of anyone that would improve on Buckley to be honest.  Be grateful for Buckley, we didnt even have that luxury at Rotherham.

What happened to the Rangers lad?

After only 2 games these lads already look like a team, something that's been lacking for a couple of years.

I'm not that bothered if our points deduction proves too much and we get relegated, i don't think this current crop will go down without a fight, but if we do go down we'll start again in div 2 and enjoy the rebirth of our club.

Our vocal support has been absolute quality so far this season, it makes me proud.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

3 hours ago, victor meldrew said:

the  two games have been a breath of fresh air

hopefully the start of a  new era

if we go down  , as we might do , we will hopefully build a new squad of hungry young and experienced players,

just need the lapsed fans to come back, if you know some one , tell them how good  the  feel good factor is, and they are a complete wanker for giving up on our team.

They can fuck off forever for me, that includes lads I’ve been to loads of games with and stood shoulder to shoulder off the pitch with, don’t need them back rather sit with the 6-8k brothers and sisters in arms. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

11 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Can’t condone getting stuck into lads who’ve got kids with them, poor form. 

The lads that were fighting didn't have kids with them.

When the trouble started a bloke with his young lad ran away towards the away support.

Why would you take a young kid in the home end next to the away supporters? Not the brightest thing to do

2 hours ago, Walkden White said:

Totally agree. Surprised me how quick they were to get on players backs.

Expectations. Their fans expect to walk the league, get promoted and certainly beat a team in our position.

We on the other hand are still in la la land simply because we exist and so far we expect nothing.

A couple of decent performances and some signs of improvement from the regular 5 nil thrashings may bring a swift end to that - I'm already hearing talk of survival and that's the first step down the road to having expectations. Bit daft really seeing as today Southend and Tranmere both won and Stanley managed a draw so now we're 15 points behind Portsmouth and they have a game in hand on us so that task got bigger if anything.

Question is how much further can we improve this season? The lads seem to be putting in 100% already but they can certainly gel more as a team when they know each other better, getting a striker in may help and not every team we play will have the quality of Sunderland so there is some hope, but folk should be very wary of getting carried away.

Personally I won't mind if we get relegated, but the moment folk start expecting us to survive will spell the end of the feel-good factor that has become the inspiration of the squad and the manager and ultimately the driving force behind our renaissance. I'll be gutted if all the progress is undermined by wankers who are incapable of simply being grateful that we still exist and start getting on the players/managers back if we have a bad game or we don't survive. Rebuilding from scratch is a long, slow process and there will definitely be bumps along the road.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, 1969 said:

Loving the way us fans have really got behind the team making it us against the world 

I think Portsmouth fans will treat this as a big love-in pre game as they've been where we are. After the game may be a different matter once we've stuffed them.