Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford

jeep

Hobbs was the go to man at the back to get play going forward which was a surprise,  but he did fine. Couple of last minute challenges and a couple of ffs moments but he's played hardly any football for 3 months. 

Very enthusiastic about the team tonight should have been a couple up at least at half time thought Buckley did a decent job.

• Site Supporter

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The team was set up well, the players showed great team spirit and they all seemed to know their jobs and wanted to be on the front foot at every opportunity.  But Hill doesn't know what he's doing, he picked the wrong keeper, he's supposed to set the team up to defend while he waits for the strikers to get fit, and if he's been chewing gum in the post-match interview he can piss off back to Rochdale.

I'm assuming your interview went well then. Were they headhunting you?

Teams set up, great spirit but he doesn't know what he's doing..

Most Bolton fans are over the moon, get real!

Enjoyed that. No buckley fan but he had a thankless task tonight and did well apart from not scoring obvs.With some actual strikers up top we can win some games and am excited at the style of play for first time in ages. Played some lovely stuff in first half. Hope springs eternal.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic. 

15 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The team was set up well, the players showed great team spirit and they all seemed to know their jobs and wanted to be on the front foot at every opportunity.  But Hill doesn't know what he's doing, he picked the wrong keeper, he's supposed to set the team up to defend while he waits for the strikers to get fit, and if he's been chewing gum in the post-match interview he can piss off back to Rochdale.

8 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

I think JR was being sarcastic + having a pop at the moaners  to be fair.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

Really enjoyed that game and a clean sheet will do wonders for the confidence after the Rotherham game. Some really impressive performances tonight, thought Bridcutt, Crawford, Chickson, Lowe and even Buckley considering his striker position were superb, we played some great stuff at times, decent football on the floor, this squad will only get better, especially once Daryl Murphy is fit and ready to go.

42 minutes ago, Ani said:

A very good night. 

This Will Buckley seems a lot better than the one we had last year. 

The Stoke lad very good but tired, thought he was still more of a threat than Politic so was surprised by the sub. 

Lowe and Bridcutt could make a good midfield 2. Ginger from Doncaster had a good game too. 

The defence need more experience together but promising signs. 

The ref only booked dives in the second half. Trying to buy a pie was a nightmare. But home by 11. 

If we improve at the same as we have since Saturday for rest of season we will win FA Cup. 

Great support and good to see so many stay at the end. 

100%. It was also telling that so few went down for an early pint at 35-40 minutes - the applause at the half time whistle was fantastic. As others have said, the bug, the feel good factor... I think it's back.

59 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

52 minutes ago, only1swanny said:

9c9.gif

• Site Supporter

Very pleased with everything I saw last night, just a pity we didn’t nick a goal our football deserved. I presume ALF played for Hill at Rochdale? He’d get a panful in that team last night.

I knew Bridcutt could play but was impressed with a few of the other new boys. We’ll be fine at Full back once these 2 get a few more games under their belt and I think Wright/Hobbs has the makings of being solid.

The 2 which pleased me most though were Crawford & Verlinden, both work hard and will create plenty in time.

Refreshing to see everyone happy with the way we played. There’ll be some defeats and some of them still heavy but if that’s the sign of things to come then saturdays will be enjoyable again

I’ve had countless disagreements on here, mainly with Parky’s number 1 fan, that even though we are relying on freebies and cast offs they are professional footballers and can play positive, attractive football with intent. Only to be told these type of players were fit for one thing only. Well... 

Thought they played really well - and first time for a long while I sat in the car on the way home thinking "I enjoyed that".

Get the 2 new strikers in and we will certainly win a few.

Closed down very well to win the ball back, gave the opposition very little time and tried to play football on most occasions.

Roll on Saturday.

20 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Refreshing to see everyone happy with the way we played. There’ll be some defeats and some of them still heavy but if that’s the sign of things to come then saturdays will be enjoyable again

I’ve had countless disagreements on here, mainly with Parky’s number 1 fan, that even though we are relying on freebies and cast offs they are professional footballers and can play positive, attractive football with intent. Only to be told these type of players were fit for one thing only. Well... 

You and me both brother

The big positives are that everyone seems to want the ball, everyone seems prepared to run and slug it out until they drop and there are already signs of a unit gelling together. 

Hard to highlight a particular player (although Verlinden will have caught many eyes), but I'd suggest that Josh Emmanuel at RB typifies what's going on at the club. He looked sluggish & lost at Rotherham and had a pretty miserable time of it. In fact I was sure that when Lowe came on, it would be to replace him, but Hill was canny : he kept him on and got Lowe to coach him through the rest of the game. Fast forward three days and Emmanuel looked a different player, not Cafu-esque, but he'd a much better all round game and seemed to have picked up what Lowe had shown him.

Yes, it would be great to start winning (we deserved to last night) and clawing back the deficit, but the changes being made/seen will stand the club in good stead for longer than just this season, if it continues as it has promisingly started.

Sunderland is a much tougher task, but if these lads can put another big shift in, who knows?

PS Re : Jason Lowe, fair play to him too. No moans from him last season etc, but I expected him to be one of the first casualties of the Hill era. If he plays as he has so far this week, he's here for a while, he's even started attacking and shooting now!