Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Melbourne Cup 2019

bolty58

I've got a screenshot of it on my phone, but can't upload it.
It shows...

Mustajeer @ 27/20
Raymond Tusk @ 6/4
Prince of Arran @ 2/1

and Mirage Dancer @ 7/2. 

I know I was half asleep, but those odds didn't seem right at all. Might need to re-evaluate my position now.

Think Constantinople has an obvious chance, and Coolmore have been after a flagship stallion in that neck of the woods for a while, so the switch from O’Brien isn’t a huge surprise. Think Raymond Tusk is overpriced at around 25s on the exchanges - his staying-on fourth in the Ebor off a big weight reads well enough in this context - and Rostropovich has a few bits of form that would put him in with a shout, so he’s the Hollywood punt at more or less whatever price you want, though he’s obviously not certain to see it out.

• Members
2 hours ago, L/H White said:

this Mer De Glacé, any idea what it's beat? Some serious form Beat Finche, Constantinople etc. in the Caulfield Cup over 2400m as Traf says.

Notice the Middleham Park syndicate have a runner, great for for them that. 

Downside is the only time it has run on a soft track (and it will be today. Downpour last night at and 10am it was still only 8C in Melbourne) it ran 11th and the furthest it has gone so far is 2400m so the extra 800m will be a big test.

I have it at 9.00 for a place where folk are taking 9.00 the win just now so I can't complain. Even if it does fuck all, I'll have been chuffed to have one going around at 44.00 instead of the 'shorts' it now is.

My great hope is Finche. Everything just adds up. Barrier, soft going, jockey, trainer, owner, last years run in the Cup. Favourite now and I have it going around at 14.50 the win and 4.50 the place. We shall see. I've even had an insurance bet on Betfair for it to run in the first 10 as I can't see how I can lose unless it gets knocked over.

Best result for me would be Mer De Glace to win and Finche to run a place.

Edited by bolty58

• Members

Left the winner out due to the wide barrier. Inspired ride by Williams to win his first Cup.

Can't fault the ride on Finche. Loomed at the 400m and I was thinking 'here we go'. Kerrin McEvoy rode it superbly. He just didn't have underneath him what both he and I thought he had. MDG ran past it in the last 100 so I think we can assume that it gets the distance and soft going is not necessarily a big problem.

15 hours ago, enzo gambaro said:

Think Constantinople has an obvious chance, and Coolmore have been after a flagship stallion in that neck of the woods for a while, so the switch from O’Brien isn’t a huge surprise. Think Raymond Tusk is overpriced at around 25s on the exchanges - his staying-on fourth in the Ebor off a big weight reads well enough in this context - and Rostropovich has a few bits of form that would put him in with a shout, so he’s the Hollywood punt at more or less whatever price you want, though he’s obviously not certain to see it out.

Come to the next one!