Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pensions

Spider

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, masi 51 said:

Used two financial advisors during my life, The first told me to get a endowment for my house.The second told me not to transfer a pension. Both rank bad advice. Just go off your gut feeling it has worked since.

At one time endowments were regarded as the obvious way to go.

I too got a bit stung, as a good while after taking one out, they started to go tits up.

Don't blame the ifa though; he gave the best advice at the time, and couldn't have foreseen what was to come.

A later ifa however, effectively stole money from me, together with his own business partner. An absolute cunt of a man.

• Site Supporter
On 25/02/2020 at 10:11, Biggish Dave said:

I'll almost guarantee it. The wife and myself both have reasonable pensions - or at least should have by the time we come to retire but we do throw quite a lot of money at it.

There's hardly any of our friends got savings to speak of, let alone pensions and most are now in their mid 40's. People are going to be working much later than they would like I believe. It's a ticking time bomb

don't worry about him, it's the people with money the council will be after

24 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Pension fund taking a bit of a battering at the moment.  Fingers crossed for a bounce back once this virus is under control. 

Big bollocks time

So, I've now gone into this salary sacrifice thing, and looking at my wage slip this month, it looks like a no brainer, so I may sacrifice a few more quid moving forward................I'm assuming that I now have to contact the tax office and let them them know what I'm doing, as I currently claim back quite a bit on personal pension relief, which I'm guessing I'm no longer entitled to........

10 minutes ago, Sweep said:

So, I've now gone into this salary sacrifice thing, and looking at my wage slip this month, it looks like a no brainer, so I may sacrifice a few more quid moving forward................I'm assuming that I now have to contact the tax office and let them them know what I'm doing, as I currently claim back quite a bit on personal pension relief, which I'm guessing I'm no longer entitled to........

If you do a tax return then I expect that you’ll not need to

• 3 weeks later...
On 27 February 2020 at 09:37, Mounts Kipper said:

Pension fund taking a bit of a battering at the moment.  Fingers crossed for a bounce back once this virus is under control. 

How's it doing now mate 😡😡  mine went down £2k 2 weeks ago but now it's down £18k😪😪 not sure what to do ride the storm or get out.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Tel said:

How's it doing now mate 😡😡  mine went down £2k 2 weeks ago but now it's down £18k😪😪 not sure what to do ride the storm or get out.

if you get out now you've lost that money. don't know how old you are but you just have to wait for it to comeback 

23 minutes ago, Tel said:

How do pal, you’ve got to ride the storm.  I’ve a small pension down 25% I dare not looking at the larger pension. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

24 minutes ago, Tel said:

Depends on your financial resilience

On 27/01/2020 at 12:04, masi 51 said:

Pensions dont have to be a minefield 1 Most of them you can now access online and change your funds as most are linked to the fts 100  they could get one hell of a hit this coming month or so.

I am by no means a expert on pensions but my advice would be to move all now to low risk funds and sit tight until at least Easter

Pity no one listened !

• Site Supporter

Everybody may have listened but not everybody may be able to swap and change pension pots from one area to another. I've never really had much dealings with my pension, I just paid at source each month. I was never in a position to advise the keeper of pensions that, "A guy on Wanderersways has told me to shift my whole pot from X to Y in order to make the most of a dip in economy. Oh, by the way, he did start the advice with, "I'm no expert on pensions, but..."

Yes looking at it that way I can certainly see how it comes across...I was really just saying anyone at any time can access there pots and change investments. 90% of people unfortunatly do not know this.

And for what it is worth I wish I was wrong

Edited by masi 51