Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Lincoln away

Marc505

19 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

The Derby match was monday and on sky 

It was Wed 2nd Jan, it wasnt on Sky.  We did our usual thing of not playing on a bank hol so put it back to the following night.  Dont blame Derby fans for not coming but it wasnt on Sky. Still a terrible following for a club getting 30k at home.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That doesnt make good reading.  I admit my initial excitement that he ticked all the boxes for our current situation is a thing of the past.  Bridcutt repeatedly at centre back was no.1 reason, the bizarre treatment of Politic was no.2, his rants and personality disorder no.3, the nonsensical release of Chicksen and subsequent comments no.4 and last night's absolute farce at left back, with Boon nowhere to be seen, is no.5.  I'm happy for him to spend the rest of the season either proving me wrong or digging his own grave.

I don't think boons a left back, is he

I also don't think he will see next season

• Moderators
Just now, Johnnyrotten said:

It was Wed 2nd Jan, it wasnt on Sky.  We did our usual thing of not playing on a bank hol so put it back to the following night.  Dont blame Derby fans for not coming but it wasnt on Sky. Still a terrible following for a club getting 30k at home.

I did a 300 mile round trip for that

That was when I was sensible

We had Campo, Diouff, Anelka and Stelios playing that night and attendance was 17,014,  so not much more than 16,000 of us.  Amazing really how little our crowds have dropped in the last 12 years when you consider the scale of how far we have fallen and everything that's been thrown at us.

1 minute ago, Burnden Pies said:

"We were too rushed, too slow". Ffs can you imagine the team talk: "you need to be bombing forward while tracking back". No wonder we're a fooking shambles. Loon.

I dunno, I think he’s saying that we’ve been both in different times. It can make sense and could apply to fundamental bad decision making in varying scenarios.

problem is when it’s not going well he needs to be succinct and offer as little as possible

I’ve been mulling this over and I think he may come across as uber confident but it could be a skin as his waffle is consistent with neurotics that over justify stuff. Especially when under pressure. There’s a lot of “extroverts” that do this.

Could be wrong obvs. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

I dunno, I think he’s saying that we’ve been both in different times. It can make sense and could apply to fundamental bad decision making in varying scenarios.

problem is when it’s not going well he needs to be succinct and offer as little as possible

I’ve been mulling this over and I think he may come across as uber confident but it could be a skin as his waffle is consistent with neurotics that over justify stuff. Especially when under pressure. There’s a lot of “extroverts” that do this.

Could be wrong obvs. 

Been thinking similar, hope we're both wrong

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Alf Hartigan said:

I'll bet there's players at Watford that already hate Pearson, and they'll be the ones not in the team.

I don't like (hate is too strong a word for someone I've never met) Pearson from what I've seen of him but he's clearly a good football manager looking at his track record.

My instinct with Hill is that I don't like him, and never liked him from schooldays (same age) through to his time at Rochdale.

However, I'm thinking the reaction to him on here recently is OTT. We were always going down this season especially after the first six games, but Hill put together a side at the last minute that gave us a brief glimpse of hope, that our horrendous injury jinx quickly put paid to.

I'm still getting behind Hill and hoping he may have some of that Pearson magic. This season was a free hit IMO, and this is the case more than ever.

Completely agree with that.

Im still baffled over the recent outgoings of Chicksen, Earl and Wright, all of whom are better than what we have or have brought in. Were these forced upon him or by choice? 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Alf Hartigan said:

However, I'm thinking the reaction to him on here recently is OTT. We were always going down this season especially after the first six games, but Hill put together a side at the last minute that gave us a brief glimpse of hope, that our horrendous injury jinx quickly put paid to.

I'm still getting behind Hill and hoping he may have some of that Pearson magic. This season was a free hit IMO, and this is the case more than ever.

That's where I'm at

Am past caring about team selections and results this season, he can fuck about all he wants

Clean slate as of the end of may

He had us playing some good stuff in glimpses early doors so he gets a pre season to hit the ground running next season

Till then, whatever

57 minutes ago, enzo gambaro said:

Bet that’s bollocks, he just managed in an era when every little thing wasn’t blown up into a drama on social media and dissected at length by folk with fuck all else to do with their time.

That’s nothing to do with commanding respect, some managers even today manage to do it. 

1 minute ago, desperado said:

Completely agree with that.

Im still baffled over the recent outgoings of Chicksen, Earl and Wright, all of whom are better than what we have or have brought in. Were these forced upon him or by choice? 

There's been no news on Wright but Hill is quoted as letting Earl and Chicksen go. Although I've wondered if he might just have been toeing the company line.

The only other reason I can think of for letting them go is that we think we can find better players right at the back end of the transfer window. There could well be some logic to that.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

There's been no news on Wright but Hill is quoted as letting Earl and Chicksen go. Although I've wondered if he might just have been toeing the company line.

The only other reason I can think of for letting them go is that we think we can find better players right at the back end of the transfer window. There could well be some logic to that.

Did think along those lines myself. All good reasons as to why we need to give more time for either the transfer window to play out, time for those new players to bed in and time for some more clarity to unfurl as to some of the decision making that’s taken place 

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Was thinking the one where stelios chipped the keeper in the last minute, That was deffo on sky 

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

There could

But that delay condemns us to relegation

And if we follow what he says, we aint looking at players til may, we are after medium term, at least

9 hours ago, Burnden Pies said:

"We were too rushed, too slow". Ffs can you imagine the team talk: "you need to be bombing forward while tracking back". No wonder we're a fooking shambles. Loon.

If you’re too slow in possession you end up rushing your pass because your options are shot to shit and you’re under pressure from the opposition.

9 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

That’s nothing to do with commanding respect, some managers even today manage to do it. 

It’s not, but you’re assuming Rioch had them eating out of his hand because you didn’t have a dozen spurious sources telling you different. Besides, it’s miles easier when you’ve got good players and you’re winning every week.

14 hours ago, enzo gambaro said:

It’s not, but you’re assuming Rioch had them eating out of his hand because you didn’t have a dozen spurious sources telling you different. Besides, it’s miles easier when you’ve got good players and you’re winning every week.

Well the good players bit certainly helps but there’s an argument that you only win every week “if” you command your players’ respect*

Normally behaviour determines result for long term success; if you’re relying on a result to determine behaviour it’s less sustainable 

* of course you can do that without being authoritarian