Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Are you happy with your seats?

Burndens Bogs

First game in our new season ticket seats- ESL three quarters way back & 25 seats or so towards the North Stand. The view is fine, but the atmosphere is a tad dull in that area - not much passion coming from the folk immediately around us, it feels a bit like the WSL tbh. I suppose we’ll just have to grin and bear it for this campaign & it won’t stop us from getting behind the lads, but it’s a bit weird when those around us don’t.

24 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

First game in our new season ticket seats- ESL three quarters way back & 25 seats or so towards the North Stand. The view is fine, but the atmosphere is a tad dull in that area - not much passion coming from the folk immediately around us, it feels a bit like the WSL tbh. I suppose we’ll just have to grin and bear it for this campaign & it won’t stop us from getting behind the lads, but it’s a bit weird when those around us don’t.

You make your own atmosphere. WSL row M seat 226 does. It's nasty. ESL sounds shit going off what you say.

5 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Similar area to us

few games have been ok this season but that’s when uppers was shut so more in lowers 

no peasants though 

Definitely no peasants, but no passion either.

1 minute ago, Underpants said:

You make your own atmosphere. WSL row M seat 226 does. It's nasty. ESL sounds shit going off what you say.

I wouldn't say the whole of the ESL is shit, just the folk around us just sit on their hands and keep quiet.

For the Oxford and Sunderland games i was in the ESL 25 seats towards the South stand and the atmosphere was beltin' - when it came to buy our season tickets i couldn't get 2 together in that area.

Happy with mine, it's red, it's plastic and it's the one I've had for a few years.

There was a young lad sat to my left last night who couldn't keep still, but I'll sort that out 😉 and our section seems to have acquired a bloke whose only input is to shout "Switch It!" at every opportunity, so I'm blaming him for Jack Hobbs' 20 diagonals. 

New seats for us as well in WSL, looking across at where we used to be in ESU there looked to be even fewer people near where we sat so we've probably done the right thing.

Apart from one bloke and his lad who might start to grate after a couple of games the rest seemed fine and although I don't suppose it is true I think the view from WSL is better than ESL for some reason.

9 minutes ago, marple whites said:

WSU seemed particularly empty - ok if they want to keep an upper tier open, but why not put East and West together and just keep one open.  Are the costs of having all open really justifiable ?

Only needs about half a dozen Mick Brown’s and it pays for itself really. Even more so with people paying a premium in LoV to sit in ESU. 

Must admit I’ve always been happy with my seat on row Z smack bang behind the goal, but now I would much prefer to move to the north east corner having sat there for the non-ST games. 

3 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Only needs about half a dozen Mick Brown’s and it pays for itself really. Even more so with people paying a premium in LoV to sit in ESU. 

Must admit I’ve always been happy with my seat on row Z smack bang behind the goal, but now I would much prefer to move to the north east corner having sat there for the non-ST games. 

In one.

What are the costs? A few stewards and turnstile operators on minimum wage?

The kiosks will surely turn a profit every game.

Makes absolute sense to open the upper tiers.

14 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

In one.

What are the costs? A few stewards and turnstile operators on minimum wage?

The kiosks will surely turn a profit every game.

Makes absolute sense to open the upper tiers.

Indeed. There’s a certain fixed cost for opening the stadium in the first place, with the additional cost of opening certain areas being relatively minimal in comparison. 

• Moderators

Pure guess work but to me it didn't look like there'd be room in the east and north lower to accommodate all those in the upper

It'd be tight

And if you sit in the upper for the view you aren't going to want to sit at the front of the lower, so you'd probably not bother

So be daft to shut the uppers

9 hours ago, Morizio said:

Back in the ESU and like it. We’ve got great seats. 

It seemed busy though with a fair few new folk around so I thought the club had done well on ticket sales, different story when seeing the pics on tv🤷‍♂️

Its amazing how much more empty it looks on TV than being sat amongst it.  Even the games prior to Sunderland when crowds were sparse, it felt really busy in the ESL.  That's exactly the reason I go to the game as opposed to watching on TV, the involvement with the crowd is buzzing but on TV probably looks dead.

7 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

FV are reviewing the upper tiers aren’t they next year? 

Its easy to quick sums but I’m guessing there comes a point when it’s not viable, other clubs have been closing tiers for years 

I must admit, I'd got used to just the lower tiers being open and was happy with it.  But it hit me last night what had been missing, just that feeling of it being a football stadium fully occupied (not in the full sense obviously, but that each stand was populated).  It just felt like a football crowd again.  

6 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I must admit, I'd got used to just the lower tiers being open and was happy with it.  But it hit me last night what had been missing, just that feeling of it being a football stadium fully occupied (not in the full sense obviously, but that each stand was populated).  It just felt like a football crowd again.  

West & north upper looked very sparse 

not a hope next season they will have 3 open, 1 tops 

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

West & north upper looked very sparse 

not a hope next season they will have 3 open, 1 tops 

Should close WSU.

Half of the coffin dodgers will have fucking died by next season anyway. 😁