Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Parkinson to Sunderland

Okocha10

8 hours ago, tomski said:

I can’t get past the fact he had Ken’s back for so long and being a bit stronger with him could of avoided the issues we have had.

Can you just explain this ? Because it seems like total nonsense mate. 

5 hours ago, Traf said:

Not Pratley?

Decent Championship player when we got him. shame he was asked to play a totally different role for us.

i don’t buy into the Pratley hating.

Correct 

Our stats with Pratley in the team were always much better than when he wasn’t playing.

He was a victim of his own efforts putting a shift in but often making the odd mistake, it seems with many of our fans your better going missing for 90 minutes and not doing anything good or bad to avoid criticism 

2 hours ago, Ani said:

Can you just explain this ? Because it seems like total nonsense mate. 

Absolutely. If he had of been stronger against Anderson we may have never ended up in the miserable predicament we did. What would of happened if we had landed Wilder as opposed to Phil, I can’t prove it but I suspect it would of ended very differently in a multitude of ways.

Hearing Mcginlay saying parky rang him up (when Mcginlay was banned) telling him to lay off ken was pretty embarrassing in my opinion.

I think Phil knew he wasn’t going anywhere under ken and the relationship probably became unhealthy as I think we can all agree a manager shouldn’t be untouchable etc .

6 hours ago, Traf said:

Not Pratley?

Decent Championship player when we got him. shame he was asked to play a totally different role for us.

i don’t buy into the Pratley hating.

Always liked Pratley. Not sure why so many didn’t. He was superb for a spell under Lennon 

58 minutes ago, tomski said:

Absolutely. If he had of been stronger against Anderson we may have never ended up in the miserable predicament we did. What would of happened if we had landed Wilder as opposed to Phil, I can’t prove it but I suspect it would of ended very differently in a multitude of ways.

Hearing Mcginlay saying parky rang him up (when Mcginlay was banned) telling him to lay off ken was pretty embarrassing in my opinion.

I think Phil knew he wasn’t going anywhere under ken and the relationship probably became unhealthy as I think we can all agree a manager shouldn’t be untouchable etc .

Fair enough. I totally disagree. 😁

Parky took over from Lennon, we had just got relegated with fuck all points. He got us promoted and then kept us up.  Then the wheels fell off. 

During that time Ken was running the club. Wilder and Sheffield United has worked so as you know is an unfair comparison. How about the other 30/40 clubs that we played against over that time ? 

As per previous discussion I fully agree Parky is a good bloke but has always struggled at championship level. But to blame him for how Ken ran the club is IMO unfair. The one thing that he may have been guilty of is cajoling the players to put up with the shit which delayed the outcome. 

As for ringing McGinlay I just see that as someone trying to stop the club tearing itself apart. SJM and the ST were never the answer. The irony of SJM giving out business advice has already been discussed and the ST have no place running the club. 

The whole club was a circus and that was led by Ken. Parky was simply caught up in the farce. You could just as easily blame the players for not striking more and the staff for turning up when not getting paid. They were all just trying to keep the club afloat. 

Edited by Ani

10 minutes ago, Ani said:

Fair enough. I totally disagree. 😁

Parky took over from Lennon, we had just got relegated with fuck all points. He got us promoted and then kept us up.  Then the wheels fell off. 

During that time Ken was running the club. Wilder and Sheffield United has worked so as you know is an unfair comparison. How about the other 30/40 clubs that we played against over that time ? 

As per previous discussion I fully agree Parky is a good bloke but has always struggled at championship level. But to blame him for how Ken ran the club is IMO unfair. The one thing that he may have been guilty of is cajoling the players to put up with the shit which delayed the outcome. 

As for ringing McGinlay I just see that as someone trying to stop the club tearing itself apart. SJM and the ST were never the answer. The irony of SJM giving out business advice has already been discussed and the ST have no place running the club. 

The whole club was a circus and that was led by Ken. Parky was simply caught up in the farce. You could just as easily blame the players for not striking more and the staff for turning up when not getting paid. They were all just trying to keep the club afloat. 

All fair responses and agree it’s all subjective rather than cold hard facts if you like.

Ken is the cunt and I’m not trying to add that Phil was in cahoots with him I simply don’t feel he did enough to push back on him.

I agree working for Ken would of been truly  awful and I suppose another thing I never understood is why he didn’t walk? (That’s not a slant) 

I do disagree regarding Mcginlay as I’m glad someone stood up to Ken and feel this played its part in helping the walls cave in.

1 hour ago, tomski said:

All fair responses and agree it’s all subjective rather than cold hard facts if you like.

Ken is the cunt and I’m not trying to add that Phil was in cahoots with him I simply don’t feel he did enough to push back on him.

I agree working for Ken would of been truly  awful and I suppose another thing I never understood is why he didn’t walk? (That’s not a slant) 

I do disagree regarding Mcginlay as I’m glad someone stood up to Ken and feel this played its part in helping the walls cave in.

👍

20 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

The wheels came off a few times under Parky 

The Parky cycle was feast or famine, in both the promotion season and the one when we stayed up we had long Barron spells and Parky seemed to be completely lost in terms of team selection and tactics 

But equally we had long unbeaten runs in the promotion year. Did the same at Bradford so clearly something about his approach. 

He has gone now so we need to move on. Let’s see how Sunderland works out. I wish him well. 

We have moved on, it’s only a discussion 

All said and done I think he will be viewed more favourably than not, for me he probably has more respect at the end of his reign than he after he kept us in the Championship 

I hope it works out for him, I doubt his dreary style will go down well up there mind, they expect to be Real Madrid at this level, with their wage bill they should be. He certainly won’t be able to moan about playing teams with bigger resources every week 

Parky would do a good job for Sunderland, but like every other manager, he won't be given a chance by their deluded fans.

At some point they might realise that by opposing every manager & refusing to give anyone the time to build, they are a large part of Sunlun's problems - including caretakers, the next manager will be their 20th in 13 years.

Add to that supposed financial troubles & from what we saw at Bolton, an ordinary & uncommitted playing squad, I wouldn't blame Parky or any other manager for steering clear.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, bolton va va said:

What's that got to do with anything ? Parky didn't buy those players.

Don't see that as relevant.

In the end, his lack of tactical noise and shite football caught up with him.

We all recognise and respect his difficult circumstances and dignified manner, but it became a case of nothing being his fault.

Wouldn't accept what we could all see, and would describe atrocious performances as decent etc.

Going round in circles on this, as it's been covered plenty, so I'm not going to continue anymore.

Suffice to say whatever he does henceforth is of no great interest; other than I have Sunderland supporting friends.

10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Don't see that as relevant.

In the end, his lack of tactical noise and shite football caught up with him.

We all recognise and respect his difficult circumstances and dignified manner, but it became a case of nothing being his fault.

Wouldn't accept what we could all see, and would describe atrocious performances as decent etc.

Going round in circles on this, as it's been covered plenty, so I'm not going to continue anymore.

Suffice to say whatever he does henceforth is of no great interest; other than I have Sunderland supporting friends.

In the end, the financial meltdown of the club resulting in us having a division 1 standard playing squad ( at best ) playing in the championship, caught up with him. 

3 hours ago, bolton va va said:

In the end, the financial meltdown of the club resulting in us having a division 1 standard playing squad ( at best ) playing in the championship, caught up with him. 

Indeed. The tactics thing is utter nonsense. He didn't have the players. His football was not entertaining that's for sure.

But I note that we're playing better football now, and I think KH knows what he's doing - but he's got a relatively way better squad for league one than Parky had in the championship last year - and we've yet to win a game. There are reasons for that beyond Hill's control. But still the issues last season were not Parky his tactics or anything else - we didn't have the quality required and everything else at the club went to absolute shit. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Ani said:

Aye. Final straw for me. 

But without that we would not have 

me and my lad watched that again the other day.

greatest day ever, he said.

liverpool and city fans will never understand that feeling.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, HomerJay said:

me and my lad watched that again the other day.

greatest day ever, he said.

liverpool and city fans will never understand that feeling.

City will, if they watched them back in Div 2 and all that

TBF Liverpool ones would as well, like when they won the CL in 2005

they do ok for themselves, the ones that go