Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Parkinson to Sunderland

Okocha10

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Just read one or two quotes from there. I wasn't aware Marra was a North East colloquialism. I used to hear it a lot during my apprenticeship, mostly from Westhoughton area, I thought.

1 hour ago, jules_darby said:

It will all be someone else’s fault again 

Lets send Fanny5 up there to fight the good fight and remind them he got us on the pitch last game of season twice! 

We wont mention the rest of the Parkinson experience.  Nah lets rub it in 

4 hours ago, MickyD said:

Just read one or two quotes from there. I wasn't aware Marra was a North East colloquialism. I used to hear it a lot during my apprenticeship, mostly from Westhoughton area, I thought.

I suggest you binge watch "When the boat comes in" - it is frequently used by James Bolam et al.

20 hours ago, snowball said:

Tell fanny5. He is going to need a shit load of excuses. We all know what Parkys teams play like. Dross

You are a bit cracked. He had us celebrating last day two seasons in a row. Hill has just broken the record for not winning on his first 6 games as manager here. I mean I get why and where we are. But Parky achieved what he was asked to until the club became a complete basket case and he did so under horrible circumstances.

I appreciate what he did for us. I hope Hill can do similar. First though he needs to find some wins to convince people that things aren’t sliding away again.

56 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

You are a bit cracked. He had us celebrating last day two seasons in a row. Hill has just broken the record for not winning on his first 6 games as manager here. I mean I get why and where we are. But Parky achieved what he was asked to until the club became a complete basket case and he did so under horrible circumstances.

I appreciate what he did for us. I hope Hill can do similar. First though he needs to find some wins to convince people that things aren’t sliding away again.

Ha ha. Ok i will stay cracked. Parkinson made me hate going to the game. Yes i will give you the players he had were poor but you dont seem to be prepared to give Hill the same consideration. 

And as for that Forest game it was ALF who saved us. The same ALF who was benched and marginalised by the genius that was Parkinson. He will be shit at Sunderland.  Hills not won in 6 games Fuck off youre the crack pot look at the circumstances.  Utterly deluded . Last word to sunlun fan on yesterday 'absolutely disgusting tactics' rolfcopter 

Less than 3 months ago I wasn't even sure I'd have a team to support.

Now, I'm enjoying going to games again and enjoying the attempts at playing decent attacking football.  Yes, I'd love us to score more and win some but do I want to go back to a war of attrition with us aimlessly twatting it upfield to no one in particular? Do I feck.

Hill & Flickers are here for the long term hopefully and given what I've seen already, I'm happy to put my trust in them.

This opinion doing the rounds that Parky's style is rubbish, but of course he'll get Sunderland promoted, is laughable.  He will do what he did here, which is to make the whole worse than the sum of the parts.  Thanks to the freakish contributions of Wheavers and Morais, we got 86 points under Parky, enough to get us 5th place last season, 3rd the year before , 4th in 14-15, joint 4th in 13-14.  He scraped home with the help of playing 10 man Port Vale followed by on the beach Peterbrough.  If we'd been in the play offs we were in no form to get a result in 1 leg never mind 2. Simply lucky, as he was in keeping us above Burton and Barnsley the year after.  Poor Sunderland fans.

I'm not suggesting every point or win was lucky in either of the 2 "successful" seasons, plenty were deserved, but when it came down to the narrow margins of finishing a point or 2 above the chasing pack, it was definitely lucky.  We blew the promotion season by only having 80 points with 2 to go, which would normally put you in the play offs.  The last 2 fixtures were lucky in their own way.  Same the year we stopped up, we all knew Burton was the pivotal game and he blew it massively.  We scraped 43 points with that freakish Forest (on the beach) game , a total which would have relegated us in any of the other last TEN seasons at least.  For me he failed to get the points required both seasons and he'll do the same with Sunderland.

19 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm not suggesting every point or win was lucky in either of the 2 "successful" seasons, plenty were deserved, but when it came down to the narrow margins of finishing a point or 2 above the chasing pack, it was definitely lucky.  We blew the promotion season by only having 80 points with 2 to go, which would normally put you in the play offs.  The last 2 fixtures were lucky in their own way.  Same the year we stopped up, we all knew Burton was the pivotal game and he blew it massively.  We scraped 43 points with that freakish Forest (on the beach) game , a total which would have relegated us in any of the other last TEN seasons at least.  For me he failed to get the points required both seasons and he'll do the same with Sunderland.

Comparing points tallys with previous seasons is pointless

Did or did we not get promoted. Regardless of what previous tallys would have brought 

Did we stay up or not despite what points tally would have relegated us in previous seasons 

Conversely liverpool finished second with a points tally that would have won the league numerous times in the past ten years but they didn't 

The season is the here and now, not ten years ago. 

Of course points totals are relevant.  This season a team will stop up in Div 1 with about 35 points thanks to us and Bury.  If those clubs want to give their managers a 3 year contract on the back of that great achievement, that's upto them, but I'd say they'd failed.  Equally if Parky had got 54 points and gone down (more than possible) I'd have been the first to say he was unlucky and hadn't failed; same if he'd got 95 points in Div 1 and been pipped by a Sheff U and Bradford ripping up the division.  Whatever the league season, we can all see when its working for a manager and it didnt for Parky in any of his seasons.