Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v Rochdale

gonzo

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Spider said:

A certain amount of perspective might be needed.

It’s only a few weeks since we were signing anyone with boots who could kick a ball.

We were getting humped 5-0 every week and preparing to join Bury in the wilderness.

Its poor but we’re competitive in the main and improving.

the new deduction looms and we are a club basically having the longest pre-season ever recorded ready for a Stroll to the League 2 title.

This is all a marathon and we need to stay as loyal as we can.

that's all well and good, but we won't have a divine right to 'stroll to the league 2 title'

5 minutes ago, Tungsten3 said:

re jay lynch

I was fairly impressed with him apart from a lack of height he looked pretty good.

Although we didnt have many shots on target to trouble him

Looked safe enough with what we threw at him, even with the balls in to the box. Seem to recall his height was one of the reasons we got rid. Or maybe that was Sam Ashton. Or maybe I’m still coming to terms with us being the headline game on Quest and my mind is playing tricks on me. 

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

that's all well and good, but we won't have a divine right to 'stroll to the league 2 title'

For me, this season just needs to show a squad growing and developing.

No team ever had a divine right to win anything, but we ought to be planning to go for it next year. It’s realistic.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Spider said:

For me, this season just needs to show a squad growing and developing.

No team ever had a divine right to win anything, but we ought to be planning to go for it next year. It’s realistic.

agree, there will be a nasty atmosphere next year if we aren't at the top.

on a more positive note, i was impressed with the the attendance and atmosphere today given our current position.

6 hours ago, Kane57 said:

He did thanks. Behaved for the most part but then again he did start cheering when Dale scored their second. We left at that point. McDonald's seemed a far better bet. 

My grandson didn't behave, he was being mard 'cos he hadn't had a sleep so we left at half time, he was only one last week mind so I was expecting an early exit just not that early. 

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Spider said:

It’s only a few weeks since we were signing anyone with boots who could kick a ball.

We were getting humped 5-0 every week and preparing to join Bury in the wilderness.

the new deduction looms and we are a club basically having the longest pre-season ever recorded ready for a Stroll to the League 2 title.

Problem is, it's not a pre season as we will be changing most of the players 

21 minutes ago, tkonion said:

My grandson didn't behave, he was being mard 'cos he hadn't had a sleep so we left at half time, he was only one last week mind so I was expecting an early exit just not that early. 

45mins is a good effort still. Mine is pushing four and he loved it but I think he loved the sweets and the McDonalds after more.

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Bang on.

55 minutes ago, Spider said:

Where I'm pretty much at. We aren't able to put more than half of the assortment signed on D-Day out on the pitch anywhere  near often enough. The back four and two in front that didn't let Oxford anywhere near a few weeks back wouldn't have let Rochdale in as easily as happened today. Was only a matter of time till them bringing Wilbraham on would turn the game their way. Literally man against boys.

Real judgment of Hill and Flitcroft should be made this time next year, 12/13 games into next season, when they'll have had a full pre season with whatever squad of players they've put together over Summer

In the meantime, although I didn't enjoy seeing us lose today, and the manner of the goals conceded, I still enjoyed large parts of the game, seeing young, hungry players wanting to have the ball and showing confidence on it. There were some things done out there today, even in defeat, that were light years ahead of the fare served up week after week under Parky. However taxing it might get over the coming weeks of this bizarre season waiting for us to start winning a game or two, those players should still be encouraged to keep being brave and confident. The benefit of that patience and encouragement may not be seen in results terms till next season but it will be worth it in the long run

5 hours ago, kent_white said:

What was going on with the stewards second half in the WSL?

Not sure what caused it, but there was a bit of handbags between a couple of blokes. I think one was a Rochdale fan, not certain though. Minor slap here and there, and plod/stewards went into overdrive. 

5 hours ago, Spider said:

This!

As long as the management show us enough this season then we can't really ask for more than that, ignoring deductions I'd say a minimum target for them should be 42 points which worked out over a full season would normally keep you up. 

Had to miss yesterday and folk being frustrated is one thing but booing already makes you wonder it really does.

22 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Disappointed that some felt it appropriate to boo at the final whistle.

Its a free world, I suppose 

Yeah I couldn't fathom that. Luckily it was only one or two cerebrally challenged members of the crowd - but it's infectious that sort of thing.

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Spider said:

This

I've sort of grown a shield against the pain of defeat at the moment. Got it in my head that, I'm just pleased to be able to go the game, chat shit with mates and have a beer. Gonna enjoy this season for what it is.

I'll take down my shield next season.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Ratwhite said:

This

I've sort of grown a shield against the pain of defeat at the moment. Got it in my head that, I'm just pleased to be able to go the game, chat shit with mates and have a beer. Gonna enjoy this season for what it is.

I'll take down my shield next season.

I've had this feeling all season but it'll certainly have worn a bit thin by Christmas.