Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton v Rochdale

gonzo

• Site Supporter
54 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

I watched more than enough mind numbing and ineffective hoof ball over the past two seasons and am quite happy with what Hill and Flitcroft are trying to do with resources that seem to change and diminish every week. Those two lads at the back were comfortable and confident on the ball, passed it out well under pressure and did their defending  well, at least until Wilbraham was sent on to bully them. They'll make an odd mistake but, knowing Hill and Flitcroft of old, they'll not be discouraged from playing as they did. 

I enjoyed again how we tried to play and will be fine if it's persisted with for the foreseeable future. The injury situation is having a major impact, put Bridcutt Buckley Hobbs and Wright in that team yesterday and we'd have won, no danger. Let's see where we are after Xmas when, hopefully, we might be able to turn out teams with most of all of those included

Are any of your quartet prolific goal scorers because unless they are I'm still not seeing who gets to score the goals required to have "won, no danger!". 

9 hours ago, MickyD said:

Are any of your quartet prolific goal scorers because unless they are I'm still not seeing who gets to score the goals required to have "won, no danger!". 

Yeah its a good point this. I think lots are saying full squad and we win and I get the logic. But our deficiencies in the main were going forwards and creating proper chances. Not sure that even with a full squad we'd be any better there. The ability for Rochdale to walk through and score those goals would have been reduced with Hobbs and Bridcutt there no doubt. But our issue in the main is still that for 60 minutes we dominated but barely troubled their keeper. Had we been 2 or 3 to the good as you need to be when you've had that much of the ball - we'd have won regardless of our centre backs being younger....

6 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Yeah its a good point this. I think lots are saying full squad and we win and I get the logic. But our deficiencies in the main were going forwards and creating proper chances. Not sure that even with a full squad we'd be any better there. The ability for Rochdale to walk through and score those goals would have been reduced with Hobbs and Bridcutt there no doubt. But our issue in the main is still that for 60 minutes we dominated but barely troubled their keeper. Had we been 2 or 3 to the good as you need to be when you've had that much of the ball - we'd have won regardless of our centre backs being younger....

I fear Murphy isn’t going to be the saviour.

not sure how he fits into this new system as we are reluctant to go long.

And when we do it’s down the channels which isn’t his game (despite him saying he would do that if asked to. If he ain’t got the speed to get to it first it ain’t gunna work)

12 minutes ago, Eavesy said:

And when we do it’s down the channels which isn’t his game (despite him saying he would do that if asked to. If he ain’t got the speed to get to it first it ain’t gunna work)

Maybe Murphy might benefit more having another striker alongside him, maybe try Dodoo or O'Grady, but presume this will mean a change of formation.

29 minutes ago, Eavesy said:

He looks like a player who hasn't played much. I think he'll be ok - though it was noticeable how much better Wilbraham looked compared to big DM.

However, I don't think up front is the major issue - he had one chance the whole game and that came from Dodoo beating his man and putting a cross in and the scramble. His shot was blocked.

The service into him is poor - the first half we had so much ball but the delivery into the box was non existent. The decision making in the top half of the pitch was also poor as are set pieces. Asking Graham to be the attacking midfield player was odd - he clearly isn't one. He worked very very hard - but should have been deeper to suit what he does well, intercepting and spraying the ball left and right. 

On 19/10/2019 at 20:20, MickyD said:

Word off one of the Rochdale Whites lot were that it's a dragon called Dale. I didn't get the correlation between Rochdale and dragons.

It's actually Desmond the Dragon. Not that it matters, they still tonked us AGAIN!!

• The topic was unpinned