Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Accrington away

radcliffe white

20 hours ago, Marc505 said:

I rank losing 7-1 to Accrington Stanley as worse than losing 7-1 to Reading, absolutely.

Both right at the bottom of the barrel being scraped but I can accept a tonking off a side with Le Fondre and a Russian international striker in it slightly more readily than one from Accrington Stanley with anyone in it.

Hard to disagree when just looking at the scoreline.  But surely being down to 10 men (unjustly) after about 15 minutes is a mitigating factor when comparing it to other disastrous scorelines.  If we'd been down to 9 men we would take it into account, so we should for 10 to an extent.  Can anyone remember an away game when we've had a man sent off so early?  I cant think of one, in that respect there's not much precedent.  And I'm well aware that if our opponents in 1 of our home games were down to 10 men so soon, we'd struggle to score 2 never mind 7.  It seems to be inbuilt into our DNA to always settle for a low scoring win.  Every week you see a few teams get thrashed and going back decades it never seems to be us handing out the hammerings, speaks volumes for the managers we've had, Allardyce included.

39 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Aye & he missed the guy with a two footed sythe  , think it was Kenna the full back .Shearer & Sutton made sure the card was red  0-3 I think .

3-1 that season. My first ever away. Purple kit.

Should’ve been 2-2 but Blake missed a sitter clean through on 90 mins. Wilcox went down the other end and made it three. 

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, enzo gambaro said:

Earl appeal unsuccessful.

“...denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal...”

Not sure which bit of that they saw.

Or whether their own double- jeopardy rule was infringed

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, enzo gambaro said:

Earl appeal unsuccessful.

“...denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender's goal...”

Not sure which bit of that they saw.

Perhaps the bit where it says "as Bolton weren't punished enough, well fuck them over however we can"

On Saturday I was shouting about the double jeopardy or triple jeopardy rule but looking into it now I'm not too sure.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

If you look towards the end of that page then denying a goal scoring opportunity with pushing or pulling and no direct attempt to play the ball is still a red card, and being honest that is what it looked to me like Earl did.

11 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

On Saturday I was shouting about the double jeopardy or triple jeopardy rule but looking into it now I'm not too sure.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

If you look towards the end of that page then denying a goal scoring opportunity with pushing or pulling and no direct attempt to play the ball is still a red card, and being honest that is what it looked to me like Earl did.

But when you watch it back the turn mean the guy is actually going slightly away from goal and a player is getting back. The ball is further away from him than I thought at the time. I think by a strict interpretation of the rules you can argue red card but 99/100 he stays on the pitch. 

Its not so much whether the letter of the law was correctly applied, its the fact that the same incident could happen 100 times this season up and down the country and the other 99 will get a booking at worst.  If one of our players takes a player on in the box, gets a bit of a shirt pull that is no worse than what you see at every single corner, we'd all scream for a penalty and none of us would be asking for a sending off, we'd be more than happy with a pen.