Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Just looked int fridge

Whitestar

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, deane koontz said:

I always thought Simon Charlton was somewhat underrated for us. Was surprisingly good at CB too for a midget.

Good shout. He was excellent once, when he had to move inside during a game against Arsenal, and did really well against Henry.

2 hours ago, Traf said:

Thinking of a reply to this has reminded me that we've had some really shit full backs over the years.

Struggling to think of a decent right back. 

Mark Fish was as good a centre half as you’ll ever see when he was on form. Total nob head mind 

8 hours ago, deane koontz said:

I always thought Simon Charlton was somewhat underrated for us. Was surprisingly good at CB too for a midget.

I’d say he played much better as a centre back than he ever did as a left back. 

Laville could have been an all-time great for us if it wasn’t for the timing of his injury. And who knows how far Dean Holden could have gone.

As far as ill-fated full back choices go, I’ll throw in Tal Ben Haim at left back at Wigan  

LB Gardner, you just can’t ignore how many games he played for us at the top level. You could say Alonso for what he has achieved since, but he never really did it for us.

CB Bergsson, no explanation needed  

CB Cahill, probably as much for what he achieved afterwards but a serious top level player

RB N’Gotty, out of position really but just beating Hunt because, just because really. Easy to forget that N’Gotty was a seriously decorated player when he came to us and gave us some decent service.  

• Members
Just now, gonzo said:

Mark Fish was as good a centre half as you’ll ever see when he was on form. Total nob head mind 

A bit of a distant relative lived next door to him and I met him a few times, off his head. He once fell through a glass table naked whilst pissed. 

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Fish looked ace because of those ‘recovery’ tackles that he always used to do, and I used to love doing similar when I was playing in that period. In reality though, if he was any good then he wouldn’t have let them get past him in the first place. 

28 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Fish looked ace because of those ‘recovery’ tackles that he always used to do, and I used to love doing similar when I was playing in that period. In reality though, if he was any good then he wouldn’t have let them get past him in the first place. 

I think Zouma is modelling his game that way.