Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sunday dinner

Whitestar

Do people still have a proper Sunday dinner?, We're off to a carvery at 3pm it's only £8 and very nice.

I bet up and down the country chavvy eatery's like McDonald's and KFC and nandos are packed out with fat families paying over the odds for shit junk.

Just wondering is it old fashioned to have a Sunday dinner or can people just not be arsed?

We normally make our own BTW.

2 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Do people still have a proper Sunday dinner?, We're off to a carvery at 3pm it's only £8 and very nice.

I bet up and down the country chavvy eatery's like McDonald's and KFC and nandos are packed out with fat families paying over the odds for shit junk.

Just wondering is it old fashioned to have a Sunday dinner or can people just not be arsed?

We normally make our own BTW.

Table for one at Breightmet Manors, a couple of bacon Beauties and off to the pub.  Single life is great

Although I've no doubt supped in many, pissed up and oblivious to the fact food is their main trade, I've only ate at a carvery once - the food was pretty mediocre but that was of no concern to the assembled peasantry - who piled it high and troughed it down...meanwhile their kids ran amok ripped to their tits fuelled on sugar, e-numbers and caffeine from the bottomless glasses of pepsi/tango etc.

I felt like a French Anthropologist at a South Seas cannibal feast.

StevieB is reet - they're just another form of repast for scutters..

Except for unlimited sausage establishments on The Fylde 😉

1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Although I've no doubt supped in many, pissed up and oblivious to the fact food is their main trade, I've only ate at a carvery once - the food was pretty mediocre but that was of no concern to the assembled peasantry - who piled it high and troughed it down...meanwhile their kids ran amok ripped to their tits fuelled on sugar, e-numbers and caffeine from the bottomless glasses of pepsi/tango etc.

I felt like a French Anthropologist at a South Seas cannibal feast.

StevieB is reet - they're just another form of repast for scutters..

Except for unlimited sausage establishments on The Fylde 😉

My other half had never been to one, I’ve eaten at one once, never, ever again. Rough as - at that was just the food. 

Sunday dinner most weeks for us home cooked. If we fancy a change then it’s one of the local pubs that provide quality fayre

ive been to carveries and whilst the quality isn’t great neither is the cost. And it’s unfair to label folk who do go to them really. A lot worse places and a lot worse clientele 

Toby Carvery at Watergate is decent value during the week at about £6.50 each. Not worth the hassle on a Sunday, far too busy. Much the same at Pine Tree Farm over the road from it, where the meat is far inferior to Toby, I must add.

Will have roast chicken at home on one or two Sunday’s a month, maybe roast pork every couple of months. Have given up on buying beef or lamb joints other than for special occasions, cost far too much for the sake of one meal (two if you can resist nicking little bits here and there and before you know it the whole thing is gone). 

Made a cottage pie (of sorts) this morning for tonight. Turkey mince filling, butternut squash topping. Massive portion each between three of us, serving with broccoli, green beans and cabbage. Cheap to make, ridiculously filling and very low calorie. 

• Site Supporter

I went to Pine Tree Farm last Sunday. It’s on the roundabout near the new Aldi distribution place bottom of the M61. Family birthday so had  no option, had to go.

well, fucking hell 

There were kids running riot - gravy, fizzy drinks and ketchup all over the walls and floors. Parents ignoring the little cunts just tucking into pints of cider and wolfing down mountains of cheap meat and roast potatoes.

The queue for the carvery was like the bar under the Lofthouse Stand, loads of people were wearing track suits and the stench was how I imagine a prison canteen smells.

The staff, bless ‘em, just looked shell shocked.

A dreadful experience.

10 minutes ago, Spider said:

I went to Pine Tree Farm last Sunday. It’s on the roundabout near the new Aldi distribution place bottom of the M61. Family birthday so had  no option, had to go.

well, fucking hell 

There were kids running riot - gravy, fizzy drinks and ketchup all over the walls and floors. Parents ignoring the little cunts just tucking into pints of cider and wolfing down mountains of cheap meat and roast potatoes.

The queue for the carvery was like the bar under the Lofthouse Stand, loads of people were wearing track suits and the stench was how I imagine a prison canteen smells.

A dreadful experience.

The " Farm " chain is a chav paradise.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Traf said:

If we're up at the caravan, then we'd go out for Sunday Dinner. 

The Royal at Bolton le Sands, Longlands at Tewitfield Marina or New Inn at Yealand, all decent.

Apparently, the canal at tewitfield has a number of sizeable grass carp in it. Get one of them buggers for your Sunday lunch.

36 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Apparently, the canal at tewitfield has a number of sizeable grass carp in it. Get one of them buggers for your Sunday lunch.

Loads of fish there, you can see them quite clearly from the canal bank.

I rarely eat fish, though.

3 hours ago, stevieb said:

The irony of calling fat families going to maccys when you are having a fucking carvery. 

Wow wow wow, a choice of 4 different roasted meats (chose the turkey), freshly cooked vegetables and accompanying seasonings, eaten at a table on a plate with cutlery and no out of control kids in sight.

Of course its their choice and their money .

And no I wasn't talking Toby.

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, Traf said:

Loads of fish there, you can see them quite clearly from the canal bank.

I rarely eat fish, though.

Indeed. Remember watching a solitary tench cruising up and down between two lock gates. I reckon it had become separated from its mates.

Nice part of the world- once heard they were considering reconnecting the separated bit to Kendal. Be a big job.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Wow wow wow, a choice of 4 different roasted meats (chose the turkey), freshly cooked vegetables and accompanying seasonings, eaten at a table on a plate with cutlery and no out of control kids in sight.

Of course its their choice and their money .

And no I wasn't talking Toby.

Rarely go, but the watermillock has been good on the couple of occasions I've been. Toby or not.

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Indeed. Remember watching a solitary tench cruising up and down between two lock gates. I reckon it had become separated from its mates.

Nice part of the world- once heard they were considering reconnecting the separated bit to Kendal. Be a big job.

Yeah, they still want to do it, but cost seems prohibitive

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Spider said:

well, fucking hell 

A dreadful experience.

I'm there for the same reason on Friday.  Can't wait 😂