Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Boltonian Checklist...

Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter

Collecting caterpillars from the trees in Wadsworth's at the corner of High St/Bridgeman St & keeping them in match boxes.

Picking the hot tar off the cobbles in the middle of the road.

Paraffin lamp in the outside lavvy.

Shitting on the iced up lavvy when the paraffin ran out.

Upstairs at UCP in Market St for pudding & chips.

Stone-Dri on Newport St was the first place in Bolton for Levi's - 67/6 a pair!!!

Edited by Steejay

• Members
14 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Awww Smithills Coaching House - sad they’ve turn it into houses, was my first weekend job, which seemed to mainly be sweeping peas up off the floor. Not great food but was ok. 

My grandad worked there post retirement. His job was to keep the bar and cellars stocked. He described it as his 'dream job' ("there are no bad beers lad, only degrees of good").

A bonus was he used to get free marquee tickets for Stones best Bitter Handicap Chase day at Haydock every year. Now that was a real piss up.

19 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

My grandad worked there post retirement. His job was to keep the bar and cellars stocked. He described it as his 'dream job' ("there are no bad beers lad, only degrees of good").

A bonus was he used to get free marquee tickets for Stones best Bitter Handicap Chase day at Haydock every year. Now that was a real piss up.

That’s a description of why I left home

6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

...and Cow Heel!

Of course. I believe UCP stands for United Cattle Products or similar. Not a very snazzy name.

http://www.unitedcattleproducts.co.uk/ucp_memories003.php

Ecky thump. They have a website with 91 pages of memories, many from Boltonians. T'internet. Magic.

Edited by Mannyroader
Internet

• Members
3 hours ago, Mannyroader said:

Of course. I believe UCP stands for United Cattle Products or similar. Not a very snazzy name.

http://www.unitedcattleproducts.co.uk/ucp_memories003.php

Ecky thump. They have a website with 91 pages of memories, many from Boltonians. T'internet. Magic.

Tripe and onions swimming in about a litre of malt vinegar or Steak & Cowheel Pie with mash and mushy peas. My grandads favourite two meals. Used to suck the juices out of the heel bones too. 

I couldn't face eating either but must admit, tripe done the Italian way is a wholly different thing. That big ball of fat and gristle with a few bones in it - why would you? He reckoned the flavour was unbeatable.

42 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Is tripe cows stomach lining? I’d rather be vegan

It is. It was affordable and many liked it. I did when I was young. Hot with chips at UPC, cold with salt, vinegar and pepper in a small tubs from the market. Sure it is still available if you look around.

2 hours ago, Mannyroader said:

It is. It was affordable and many liked it. I did when I was young. Hot with chips at UPC, cold with salt, vinegar and pepper in a small tubs from the market. Sure it is still available if you look around.

Never had it but my Dad said it was nasty stuff, served with milk as well I think? Though I could be mistaken.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Spider said:

It's a wonder Boltonians still exist at all if this was the diet.

That sounds absolutely fucking abominable.

Apparently, it's quite a healthy bit.

I only found out recently, that the stuff we used to have came from a stall on Ashton under lyne market.

• Members
5 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Apparently, it's quite a healthy bit.

I only found out recently, that the stuff we used to have came from a stall on Ashton under lyne market.

Not only quite healthy but a very healthy thing to eat I believe. Totally different in an Italian tomato, oilive oil, garlic and basil sauce. Delicious - especially when you originally didn't know what it was and thought it was calamari or summat!

Raw, cut into small squares covered in raw onion and swimming in vinegar though? Not for me I am afraid and you'd think the acid overdose might negate any health benefits from the tripe!

• Members
5 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Scholes and Scholes was a posh little shop. Anyone old enough to have gone in when Franky owned it and it was called Dalglish? (I think that was the place)

In Nelson Square? Seem to remember brass portholes? Their doorway was a good spot for a little gusset exploration activity back in the day even though it was a little too well lit. 

Went in on the odd occasion looking for hard to acquire American button downs called Dino's to rival Ben Shermans. In the Mod world you were the bollocks if you had a Dino. Every fucker had a wardrobe full of Mr. Sugarmans finest.

Found a Dino once but it was spearmint green. Green is my least favourite colour. When I saw the price tag it was very easy to decline their kind offer! I think I was earning around 7 - 10 quid a week at the time and they wanted summat like 4 weeks wages for it! If it had been in any shade of blue or orange, I would probably have been looking for a bank loan!