Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Boltonian Checklist...

Youri McAnespie

44 minutes ago, enzo gambaro said:

Yes, on Newport Street, roughly where Greenhalgh’s is and Ann Summers/Our Price was. Possible (likely!) that all three were in separate units, but definitely around there.

Slightly further down from Greenhalgh's if we're talking around the time we moved to the Reebok (I know I bought the sky blue 97/98 goalkeeper shirt from there). Before that there was the Centre Spot in Crompton Place, I think.

Lofty the Lion was manager of the precinct shop iirc - but it hardly did a roaring trade, hence it's closure...

Probably would've needed to flog filth merchandise to make it viable.

Did anyone ever get a ticket from JD Sports - either the one on Victoria Square or in The Market Place?

Did The Albert Halls box office do them briefly an' all, or did I imagine that?

• Members
1 hour ago, enzo gambaro said:

Yes, on Newport Street, roughly where Greenhalgh’s is and Ann Summers/Our Price was. Possible (likely!) that all three were in separate units, but definitely around there.

I thought so. Didn’t it become allsports when we moved from Burnden?

47 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Slightly further down from Greenhalgh's if we're talking around the time we moved to the Reebok (I know I bought the sky blue 97/98 goalkeeper shirt from there). Before that there was the Centre Spot in Crompton Place, I think.

Forgot about that! I purchased a pair of joggers, Claus Jensen shirt and Eidurs shorts from there. Didn't take the electric tag off my joggers, went off in every shop thereafter. 

Seem to remember winning a PS tournament (Three Lions) in the Bulls Head Walkden. Prize was a full kit of my choice. Got the whole yellow away kit from there, and never wore the shorts

Allsports predated the BWFC shop by many years, in fact they probably co-existed at one point...

Iirc Allsports didn't really do much in end of lines and other offers compared to JJB and Gibsons.

I think they did the best selection of balls tho' - on wall mounts on the left hand wall up the stairwell and around into the 1st floor.

• Members
1 hour ago, Dr Faustus said:

Right, so that was near where Game is now, had two floors? 

Jjb seemed to have really high ceilings, and football stuff at the back? 

A few doors down.

What was the game shop called opposite Dixon’s, electronics boutique? 

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Then went to the back corner of JD Sports in Market Place for a couple of years.

18 years old... in Ritzy on a Tuesday night. You’ve had several pints of neon, flat, cats piss called Hoffmeister 🤢 and they stick on Nellie the Elephant.. 

cue absolute pandemonium on the dance floor.. women flattened and bouncers piling in.. 😆

As I'm from Bury not many Bolton memories but being a maaaaaaassive nerd my time in Bolton was spent in the Games Workshop upstairs in Crompton place or the arcades playing street fighter, I was a beast with Blanka.

Big Orange weekly and the 400/401 from Bury every day during school hols.

That and matchdays down burnden with all its associated memories.

Edited by frank_spencer

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

I was banging the wife of the guy who owned Gibson’s most lattterly.

Supported t’rovers he did. Whilst I was supporting his wife’s needs. 

anyway that’s for another thread!! 

Did Judge Fudge ever emerge?

Boydell Toys at the top of Newport St.

When I was a little un my dad used to take me on the bus from Kearsley to Boydells every Saturday morning. We then go the bus back to the Legion on Springfield Road where he had a few beers and I had pop and crisps. It was then home for 4pm to watch Professional Wrestling and the football results.

On 12/11/2019 at 11:16, Carlos said:

You aren't from Bolton if you haven't been nonced up by a teacher.

We had the option of being touched by Mr Donley at Moorgate or twatted by Mr Smith at Tonge Moor.

My former Deputy Headmaster at Church Road Primary been done for noncery.

https://aboutmanchester.co.uk/67-year-old-agency-teacher-jailed-for-six-years-for-sexual-assault-on-13-year-old-girls-at-a-manchester-school/