Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Vegan

gonzo

Sat with the Mrs cousin at a family do last night. He’s a green peace activist. Entered the convo about going vegan with the mindset that I could never do it. Need protein to survive and like having muscles too much. He returned everything I offered with a back hand volley.

Im a proper queer with animals, but a massive hypocrite. If I could go vegan and it not impact my health, strength or physique I’d turn in the blink of an aye.

Do we have any on here? 

Apart from frank Spencer’s Mrs and Crawley of course :)  

I made a choice to stop eating meat 13 months ago. Had a few occurrences where I've ate meat, not going into details why. I still eat fish. To go Vegan takes some doing. Not sure I could go that far. It's been nice eating food that I'd not tried or had neglected.

Just had Chickpea Madras with Rice, and a side potion of Curried Kidney Beans, really enjoyed it.

• Members

I’m a massive massive hypocrite. Some of the people  I work with I tell them all about special diets, a lot of them have small muscle injuries quite frequently. So I went on a course with this Italian doctor and basically told me the diets to recommend, nearly all of them are vegan diets or 4 days out of 7 are vegan, 2 days veggie, one meat day.

And the results are incredible, the decrease in small tear injuries is remarkable. 
Ive tried it I really have but it’s not for me, if I was loaded and a full time chef to do all my meals I may be able to do it.

So I recommend it but don’t do it myself. I’d say more than half my meals are veggie though.

My sister has gone vegan, then again she lives in London and has just left drama school so it’s standard 

A mate of mine went to some wellness camp in Thailand that started with starvation & Enema’s. He shat out shit load of worms, apparently most do. After that he’s barely touched meat or Fish. He likes to train, does a lot of Thai Boxing, he’s not missed the excessive protein 

• Site Supporter

Curry is always better with veg rather than meat. Fucking triple fact with a big fat chickpea on top.

we only need meat in our diet once or twice a week.

Would go veggie no problem but couldn’t live without dairy.

When I was in India I think I ate meat twice at the start of the 7 week stint and then ate purely vegetarian. Didn’t miss meat at all

back in Uk it’s just more convenient to eat meat so back to normal. If I had the skill to cook what they do I would gladly go vegetarian I think. 

Carr’s vegan sausage roll is a revelation

Lily’s Indian restaurant in Ashton under Lyne is awesome

If I put my mind to it and sought out decent quality stuff I reckon I could do it. When it’s done well it’s great. Problem is there’s a lot of shit vegan stuff out there 

Granddaughter is dairy intolerant (made up obvs) so we have lots of dairy free stuff in the house (oat milk, dairy free cheese, etc) for when she’s around and tbh I can’t tell the difference most of the time 

Tried it years ago for about 6 months until i got a bit bored and it seemed too much like hard work.  Felt better for it but i tend to be a touch lazy/impatient when it comes to food.

Keep telling myself i'll give it another go. There seems to be more options around these days, so i might. Convenience is a bitch.

Edited by deane koontz

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Missus is veggie.

Cheese and chocolate are the main things stopping her going vegan.

I'm too much of wuss when it comes to my vegetables so couldn't go veggie never mind vegan

I'm sorry mate, but she does love a bit of sausage.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, MancWanderer said:

Carr’s vegan sausage roll is a revelation

Lily’s Indian restaurant in Ashton under Lyne is awesome

If I put my mind to it and sought out decent quality stuff I reckon I could do it. When it’s done well it’s great. Problem is there’s a lot of shit vegan stuff out there 

Granddaughter is dairy intolerant (made up obvs) so we have lots of dairy free stuff in the house (oat milk, dairy free cheese, etc) for when she’s around and tbh I can’t tell the difference most of the time 

This, got one at the beer festival , purely downto the fact there was nowt else left, but would get one through choice next time. 

Could probably go without meat per se at a push but think I enjoy it too much , but could not be restricted to non animal products and dairy entirely. 

I have a friend who is v v anti Vegan. He’s super smart too.

doesn't mean he’s right but he reckons it’s awful for you 

Apparently your brain can use 40% of all your calories. It’s why humans became dominant as we learnt to cook meat to digest more calories quicker to feed our brain.

Also apparently tofu has plant oestrogen that blocks muscle growth and the pro sports folk that are vegan have a huge supplement list to “supplement” :D their vegan diet (more so than meat eaters)

don’t shoot the messenger 

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, jules_darby said:

I have a friend who is v v anti Vegan. He’s super smart too.

doesn't mean he’s right but he reckons it’s awful for you 

Apparently your brain can use 40% of all your calories. It’s why humans became dominant as we learnt to cook meat to digest more calories quicker to feed our brain.

Also apparently tofu has plant oestrogen that blocks muscle growth and the pro sports folk that are vegan have a huge supplement list to “supplement” :D their vegan diet (more so than meat eaters)

don’t shoot the messenger 

Once saw one of these TV series, about evolution. Said something similar about changing to meat eating and brain development.

A balanced diet always seems sensible to me.

13 hours ago, gonzo said:

Sat with the Mrs cousin at a family do last night. He’s a green peace activist. Entered the convo about going vegan with the mindset that I could never do it. Need protein to survive and like having muscles too much. He returned everything I offered with a back hand volley.

Im a proper queer with animals, but a massive hypocrite. If I could go vegan and it not impact my health, strength or physique I’d turn in the blink of an aye.

Do we have any on here? 

Apart from frank Spencer’s Mrs and Crawley of course :)  

Vegan? Not even veggie I’m afraid.