Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Vegan

gonzo

• Moderators

had a vegan sausage roll, was nice

been to a couple of vegan places in the NQ - did a chicken burger and loaded fries - was nice, couldn't really tell the difference

had veggies curries in India when the meat option was not fancied, amongst the best curries Ive ever had

come across tofu in a chinese, no complaints

went to a buddist templte in Japan and stayed with them 2 nights - got basic vegan meals throughout - by the end of day 2 I was sick of it

don't mind eating owt veggie or vegan here and there, but unless someone makes it for me, I don't think I could be arsed doing it all the time

Other half has decided she wants to do 2/3 veggie days a week so I've generally been following suit, or at least my tea has been veggie anyroad if not my dinner. Found I can make a cracking chickpea and butternut squash vindaloo, and I made a 'vegan bean chilli' the other night (recipe on BBC Food) that was lovely. Done a veg pasta for tonight (courgette, peppers, jalapenos, red onion, sweetcorn, cannellini beans) which couldn't be improved with any meat I reckon. Massive portion and, even with all that veg, cheaper than buying stewing steak or whatever. Certainly couldn't give meat up though both from a taste and convenience point of view and there's not a fucking chance I could go vegan.

• Site Supporter

Thing is, why make stuff that is supposed to taste like meat?

Doesn't that suggest that either folk are shit at preparing tasty veggie based food, or that it is largely shite?

I love curries, and some veggies absorb the flavours well.

On the other hand, a plate of steamed veggies and a bit of nut roast certainly doesn't appeal.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Thing is, why make stuff that is supposed to taste like meat?

Doesn't that suggest that either folk are shit at preparing tasty veggie based food, or that it is largely shite?

I love curries, and some veggies absorb the flavours well.

On the other hand, a plate of steamed veggies and a bit of nut roast certainly doesn't appeal.

aye, you don't see meat eaters making sprouts out of pork so not sure why veggies should bother with fake chicken and all that

maybe it's to help with the transition

the one that really gets me though

is when someone, normally on social media, announces they are now semi vegetarian

where they now only eat veg

but still eat fish

and chicken

just not other meats

bollocks

eating a chicken roast dinner or fish and chips but choosing not to eat steak or burgers doesn't now mean you're semi vegetarian, or in anyway vegetarian

so fuck off

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

aye, you don't see meat eaters making sprouts out of pork so not sure why veggies should bother with fake chicken and all that

is when someone, normally on social media, announces they are now semi vegetarian

but still eat fish

and chicken

just not other meats

bollocks

eating a chicken roast dinner or fish and chips but choosing not to eat steak or burgers doesn't now mean you're semi vegetarian, or in anyway vegetarian

so fuck off

Surely that’s just cutting out red meat rather than being anywhere on the veggie scale?

3 hours ago, HomerJay said:

excuse my massive ignorance on the subject. but why go vegan?

A lot of them are doing it for environment reasons 

I believe that globally an area the size of North America has been de forested in order to produce Beef and Dairy Milk. Brazil are currently cutting down the Amazon as they can make more using the land to raise cattle that they can then sell to the world

Beef is the worst one, Pigs and Lamb don't require the same acreage to produce X calories but they are still worse than Poultry & Fish. Veg is the most efficient acre to calories 

Quite a few famous people are doing it for this reason, Lewis Hamilton is one 

1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

A lot of them are doing it for environment reasons 

I believe that globally an area the size of North America has been de forested in order to produce Beef and Dairy Milk. Brazil are currently cutting down the Amazon as they can make more using the land to raise cattle that they can then sell to the world

Beef is the worst one, Pigs and Lamb don't require the same acreage to produce X calories but they are still worse than Poultry & Fish. Veg is the most efficient acre to calories 

Quite a few famous people are doing it for this reason, Lewis Hamilton is one 

Any mention of Lewis Hamilton doing something for environmental reasons is pure bollocks.

He flies around the world in a private jet and drives a fucking F1 car for a living. 

Very green.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Traf said:

Any mention of Lewis Hamilton doing something for environmental reasons is pure bollocks.

He flies around the world in a private jet and drives a fucking F1 car for a living. 

Very green.

He offsets all his carbon footprint by tweeting prayer emojis

• Members
1 hour ago, Traf said:

Very green.

1 hour ago, Traf said:

Very green.

Yeah but it’s a hybrid engine so it’s pretty much a golf cart

5 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

but still eat fish

and chicken

just not other meats

bollocks

so fuck off

The term they use is flexitarian

It's code for 'I'm a massive cunt who wants to jump on a bandwagon without putting any effort in' 

Akin to massive virgins calling themselves A-sexual

26 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Yeah but it’s a hybrid engine so it’s pretty much a golf cart

Aye 

I was at a sportsman's luncheon on Friday, David Coulthard was one of the speakers, he said that all the fuel consumed in all races was half as much as a transatlantic flight 

Didn't mention all the actual transatlantic flights moving stuff and people back and forth 

• Members
6 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Aye 

I was at a sportsman's luncheon on Friday, David Coulthard was one of the speakers, he said that all the fuel consumed in all races was half as much as a transatlantic flight 

Didn't mention all the actual transatlantic flights moving stuff and people back and forth 

Interestingly enough if you're a vegan for the environment where does it stop? Don’t have a car? Don’t use electricity? 

9 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Interestingly enough if you're a vegan for the environment where does it stop? Don’t have a car? Don’t use electricity? 

I said the same to my sister, she wants to go to the Far East 

I said you might as well eat less meat and fly less for a better overall impact 

Each to their own I guess 

Apparently roughly 30% of global carbon emissions are due to production/processing and delivery of food...The World on average bins about a third of produce...

Correction - the women of the world buy in excess and the powfagged menfolk chuck said excess shit after it's creating its own microbe civilisation int' fridge unused three to four weeks later...

My sister (two aspirins on a plate) is fucking terrible for it - she buys shit just to 'have in' and rot - I'd guess half of what she buys gets slung...

You don't get single blokes doing that - as long as I've a bottle of Encona Hot Sauce in the cupboard I make do with what I've got.

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Presumably, they don't wear leather footwear. So what do the think about synthetic materials and trainers derived from oil products?

Similarly waterproof coats: synthetic materials and plastic.

11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Presumably, they don't wear leather footwear. So what do the think about synthetic materials and trainers derived from oil products?

Similarly waterproof coats: synthetic materials and plastic.

I don’t know, you’d have to ask a vegan who is doing it for environmental reasons 

I guess the vegan piece is about the meat industry cutting down Forest to raise cattle 

Not sure you need to cut down trees to pull oil out the sea for trainers though 

Edited by birch-chorley

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I don’t know, you’d have to ask a vegan who is doing it for environmental reasons 

I guess the vegan piece is about the meat industry cutting down Forest to raise cattle 

Not sure you need to cut down trees to pull oil out the sea for trainers though 

Indeed. But you need big fuck off oil rigs. Which need steel. Which burn coal/gas to power it. Also ore, which is mined and transported all over. Using fuel in the process.

A double whammy.

Not having a go at those who want to go meat free, it's laudable. We're reducing beef in particular.

It's just not so clear cut.

Good to see plastics now available from vegetable sources, hopefully industry will develop and stuff like this will take over in time.