Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Vegan

gonzo

• Members
16 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

If they were eating lots of beans and pulses and so on then protein was readily available, not having meat is not the same as not having protein.

Fair point. I should have expanded a little or said meat wasn't readily available. Wasn't comfortable with the fact they were eating horse when I first visited in the mid 70's.

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, London Wanderer said:

Pretty impossible not to buy something that's had an impact somewhere down the line. Cutting out beef and dairy has been identified as one of the single biggest things we can all do. I still eat chicken, fish and an occasional lamb roast. No more than a couple of days a week. As others have posted, there are some cracking veggie/vegan recipes out there. Why anyone would want the proccessed stuff when you could have a veggie curry or falafel is beyond me. 

It's hard not to be a hypocrite at some point but Lewis Hamilton can do one. Saying he did it for the environment whilst being sponsored by half a dozen oil companies. Tosser. 

I agree. Just rankles a bit when individuals use it to grab some sort of moral high ground.

If we're doing our bit that's fine.

19 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

What does she eat then? I am not a fan of most veg either but wish I was.

She eats potatoes, pasta, rice, couscous, bulgar wheat, quinoa etc

Veg-wise :  carrots, sweetcorn, peas, peppers, cucumbers

She will have baked beans occasionally, also eggs on occasions.

She gets protein from quorn and nuts etc

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I’ve just no idea how you can have a physical job and not eat meat. Protein synthesis is vital, creatine is too. 

Other foods contain protein - not only meat. In fact there are far healthier sources of protein.

And creatine can be taken as a supplement where necessary. Some vegans simply make enough themselves....

I have 3 meal kits delivered in a box each week, from a firm who offer 16 seasonal gluten-free choices each week. I always choose 1 veggie option, 1 meat (usually chicken but can be anything) and 1 fish. Typically there are 3 fish options, 4 veg and the rest meat.

When it comes to Thursday I usually have enough leftovers to make a meal (this week I know I have halves of cauli, aubergine, red onion and brown onion), so cauli cheese plus chips maybe.

Friday I have fish or fishcakes with chips and maybe some leftover veg.

Saturday and Sunday I have something from their frozen g-f range of 8 ready meals (4 veg choices).

If I'm out for a meal during the week I switch my fish delivered meal to Friday, and if I'm visiting family I can take a frozen pack.

17 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Other foods contain protein - not only meat. In fact there are far healthier sources of protein.

And creatine can be taken as a supplement where necessary. Some vegans simply make enough themselves....

Aye I’m aware of that. None of which have anywhere near the same amount or other attributes that go towards a healthy balanced diet that repair and strengthen your muscles adequately.

Decent Creatine costs a fortune as well. As do most other supplements. 

For strength and power there’s just no substitute for meat. 

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Taking it further I’d rather my kids have every tool possible to grow and become stronger. Especially as they both play football 2-3 times a week. They’ll be stronger and fitter eating meat imo. 

Especially with all the growth hormones in it 💪

• Members
56 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Taking it further I’d rather my kids have every tool possible to grow and become stronger. Especially as they both play football 2-3 times a week. They’ll be stronger and fitter eating meat imo. 

To put on muscle yeah, to stay fit not necessarily so. 

If you get the right amount of protein in for whatever training/growing you are doing then up to a point it seems like it's neither here nor there where it comes from. The standard figure bandied about is that you can use about 25-40g of protein per meal which is easily obtainable using a veggie diet or a meat based one.

Look at someone like Hulda Waage who apart from a couple of years eating fish has always been plant based, she's 83kg and a month ago benched 142.5kg, squatted 230kg, dead 180kg in a competition. Can't argue she isn't strong and you can't say she had the base from meat eating like some people try to say about Patrik Baboumian who went veggie when he was about 25.

14 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

If you get the right amount of protein in for whatever training/growing you are doing then up to a point it seems like it's neither here nor there where it comes from. The standard figure bandied about is that you can use about 25-40g of protein per meal which is easily obtainable using a veggie diet or a meat based one.

Look at someone like Hulda Waage who apart from a couple of years eating fish has always been plant based, she's 83kg and a month ago benched 142.5kg, squatted 230kg, dead 180kg in a competition. Can't argue she isn't strong and you can't say she had the base from meat eating like some people try to say about Patrik Baboumian who went veggie when he was about 25.

It's not necessarily the protein content but the amino acid build up of the protein. On a plant based diet you need to consume protein from more varied sources in order to get the right amino acid profile. You could of course just take a shed load of BCAA's but I'm not sure if they would be vegan or not

15 hours ago, Escobarp said:

He doesn’t really get a choice. Well I suppose he can give up his job but would you? In reality very very few would I think you will agree. 

He did say he felt like giving up on everything and shutting down to be fair. I'm overeacting and I take back the point of him being a tosser. We're all hypocrites but I couldn't take on a job where I am sponsored by and therefore supporting some of the world's worst polluting companies. It would feel like a step too far for someone who is saying we need to look after the planet more. Whether or not he has a choice I don't know. Can you be a F1 driver and not be sponsored by these people? Probably not. 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

He did say he felt like giving up on everything and shutting down to be fair. I'm overeacting and I take back the point of him being a tosser. We're all hypocrites but I couldn't take on a job where I am sponsored by and therefore supporting some of the world's worst polluting companies. It would feel like a step too far for someone who is saying we need to look after the planet more. Whether or not he has a choice I don't know. Can you be a F1 driver and not be sponsored by these people? Probably not. 

Also remember the research some of these companies undertake as part of formula one racing, produces products and data which then goes into the general car industry. Safety and improved efficiency.

Formula E too.

As you say nothing is clear, no one can be perfect.

• Site Supporter
17 hours ago, victor meldrew said:

My eldest son and his girlfriend are vegan, have to go to Tesco express for soya milk every time they come round, pain in the arse.

Your eldest son gets to make the rules under your roof? Tell him the choices are black, cow's milk or whatever he brings with him.

• Members
13 hours ago, gonzo said:

Aye I’m aware of that. None of which have anywhere near the same amount or other attributes that go towards a healthy balanced diet that repair and strengthen your muscles adequately.

Decent Creatine costs a fortune as well. As do most other supplements. 

For strength and power there’s just no substitute for meat. 

Reminded of this scandal.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-drugs-in-serie-a-italy-sinking-deeper-into-scandal-1178042.html