Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

F A Youth Cup

MalcolmW

9 minutes ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

I went to Burton,  cracking game , both teams playing pass and move footie. 

Every bwfc player was assured on the ball and confident. 

Stand out performances.

Keeper Alexander , a penno save  with last kick of match on 90 mins to keep us in the cup. He is going to be a top keeper 

Centre halves senior and Richards were a good pairing .

Wingers lockett and king harmes, were both really skilful and pacey,  

White in midfield reminded me of a Peter Reid type player hard , picked a good pass and sometimes ran direct at the defence .

Toure was hard to knock off the ball when in possession .

One thing I wasn't impressed with was when brown sterling was subbed Spooner shouted aggressively at him as he went to the dugout, saying he didn't shake hands properly.  I thought it was poor from spooner ,  he humiliated the lad. He was upset about it in the dugout . All that was needed was a quite word . It upset me !! 

Two of Burton shoot out pennos were john Terry style ... slipping on the approach and shooting really wide . One nearly hit the corner flag. Both were left footed and standing foot slipped .  Not nice for  the two young lads .

Really cold evening . I think they should have gone to penalties at 90 mins.  The extra 30 mins seemed to be a big ask after 90 mins. Several players went down with injuries in the extra 30 .

More enjoyable game than my last visit there with the wanderers .

Thanks for the report, agree it is ridiculous these lads doing 120 minutes on a cold winter evening, should be straight to penalties. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh dear. Not a bad start but conceded soft goals, then a missed penalty at 0-3 that might ( but probably wouldn't ) have got us back in it & after that it was just a matter of how many. No complaints, Millwall were stronger, faster & better than us.

A few of ours looked to be too young even for this level,  Senior at centre half looked the best  but they mostly look miles off 1st team level.

We always seem to lose out on physical strength at youth team level. Our best team in recent years was the one with Clough, Holding, and some others who you thought might have made the grade. They got muscled out of it at Forest. And despite mostly playing with a big lad up front at 1st Team level we've never had anyone like it at youth level.