Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Looks like we do what we want....

tomski

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Give over let’s fill the ground for them. I’ve Still not got over the 3-0 battering at their place about 30 years ago. 

Obviously we need to support our lads, but Traf's sentiments are spot on. 

Ok, we should have gone about the postponement in a better way, and for that we've been punished.

However the reasons and complexities behind it are not totally clear for us as Bolton fans, and neither fans of other clubs. Moreover, none of their fucking business.

Perhaps, as I've said before, they should have shut the fuck up instead of bleating and let the panel make a truly independent decision.

Anyway, will away fans need to bring dinghies?

If I have to read someone  else say "what is to stop clubs calling matches off in the future if they have a few injuries/suspensions so they can play it later when they have a fully fit squad". 

ITS NOT THE SAME CIRCUMSTANCES YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKING MORONS. 

26 minutes ago, Andy Gee said:

Don't know why Doncaster are complaining not like they are a serious promotion threat or in danger of relegation, just a mid table side like us. 

Because in the late 90s they had a rogue chairman and a season which began like ours. They finished a long way behind everyone in the fourth tier (goal difference -89) and then spent six seasons in 'non-league'.

They used over 40 players in the season, a mixture of young kids and loan players at the end of their careers.

The biggest crowd they got was over 5,000 for an FA Cup tie against Forest. 0-8.

So of all clubs to have missed out on a "certain" 5-0 Donny would be the sorest. Haha.

12 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

We'd have to win 25 out of 30 matches to get the historic points tally to finish 6th, cant see that myself. 100/1 for top half is good value though, would need to win about 18 out of 30. Unlikely but much more likely than a 100/1 chance IMO.

Fuck that, have some faith man 😀

Just stuck a tenner on the top half bet. 100/1 with SkyBet, 7/2 with PaddyPower! Don’t think it’ll last long!

• Site Supporter

Not sure about play offs, but getting somewhere close to relegation placed teams before Christmas would be superb. Likely to mean we can keep a couple of lads on and/or strengthen to keep the push to stay up going.

If we're way off, then you could understand some "cutting of losses" with a view to getting the league two set up ready.

30 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

We'd have to win 25 out of 30 matches to get the historic points tally to finish 6th, cant see that myself. 100/1 for top half is good value though, would need to win about 18 out of 30. Unlikely but much more likely than a 100/1 chance IMO.

But this is a 44 match season. Can't remember why.

25 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

By the time this away fixture rolls around, they'll have forgotten what they're meant to be upset about.

Oh I can assure you that they won't. Was working in Donny on Tuesday. They are serious not-rights. They'll cling to this forever. They could get beaten 5-0 every game from now til the end of the season and they'll cling to this decision and blame us

Mrs Manc's uncle and two cousins are ST holders there. One of them isn't going to that game. I've no hope of a ticket being a non-ST holder but I'll be there. Strangely I'll be convening a work meeting at the Donny Holiday Inn the day after the game which will mean staying there the night before. Fuck em, and the rest of the whining bastards in the league

3 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Oh I can assure you that they won't. Was working in Donny on Tuesday. They are serious not-rights. They'll cling to this forever. They could get beaten 5-0 every game from now til the end of the season and they'll cling to this decision and blame us

Mrs Manc's uncle and two cousins are ST holders there. One of them isn't going to that game. I've no hope of a ticket being a non-ST holder but I'll be there. Strangely I'll be convening a work meeting at the Donny Holiday Inn the day after the game which will mean staying there the night before. Fuck em, and the rest of the whining bastards in the league

I won't be going to a midweek game in Donny, you can use my ST reference to get a ticket, not that we'll sell out.

6 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

But this is a 44 match season. Can't remember why.

Still gonna need more than 70 points out of a possible 90, which is 2.33 points per match. I've just looked back over last 10 seasons, no team in league 1 has ever achieved that average over a whole season, so it's pretty unlikely. A chance of promotion will have to wait till next season I think.

9 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

All this talk of play-offs/top half.

I'll be overjoyed if we stay up on goal difference, thats the limit of my hopes/expectations at the moment.

Same here, but if you're a gambler 100/1 for a top half finish is extremely good odds. We've got a much higher chance of doing it than that, but I wont give a toss as long as we stay up.  A wilbraham type nail biter will do me.

4 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Still gonna need more than 70 points out of a possible 90, which is 2.33 points per match. I've just looked back over last 10 seasons, no team in league 1 has ever achieved that average over a whole season, so it's pretty unlikely. A chance of promotion will have to wait till next season I think.

And folk forget we ain’t that good anyhow. 

I have said before that Sharron Brittan has built a decent relationship with Debbie Jeavons. Two, maybe 3 with Emma B, women have probably sorted this out better than anyone could have imagined.

Everyone at the club needs to ensure that euphoria does not turn into complacency. Ipswich apart, this looks a poor league so we should stay up.

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

All this talk of play-offs/top half.

I'll be overjoyed if we stay up on goal difference, thats the limit of my hopes/expectations at the moment.

Exactly. This season should still be considered a write-off. If we managed to stay up, it would be one of the most incredible footballing achievements of all time.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

And folk forget we ain’t that good anyhow. 

Indeed

However

Saturday was about beating a team happy with a draw

Let's judge when we play some teams who open up

Saturday could be a good gauge

3 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

That 1st comment - call games off when you fancy.

cover your pitch in a big tarpaulin sheet when it’s raining you massive fannies

I wanted to join the conversation and took the trouble to register, but I dont have enough 'privileges' to comment.  What's that guy going on about saying we're borrowing £40mil to fund our successful season and we'll be back in admin in 18 months?  Either I'm completely uninformed or there's a load of misinformation out there.

Just now, Cheese said:

Exactly. This season should still be considered a write-off. If we managed to stay up, it would be one of the most incredible footballing achievements of all time.

I really think we've got a good chance if doing it. From what I've seen since Keith, we are realistically a mid table standard team. Unusually (and luckily for us) everyone from 16th down  (Rochdale) has relegation form points average, so it's highly probable that a lower than usual points tally will be needed to stay up. Mid table form is usually win/draw/lose a third of matches, which would give us 41, which might be enough.