Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Chicksen

Johnnyrotten

He’s been a brilliant signing, when we signed him I thought ffs why we signing a Bradford cast off. Bradford fans giving him all kinds of shit for his performances for them. But it reminds me of Morais, he’s always give 100% every game that’s all you can ask for, hopefully he keeps it up. 

I was only saying to one of our lot yesterday that Chicksen had something about him. Folk don't  measure players on what they do well, but more on what they don't do so well. He's steady and doesn't do much wrong. Reminds me of Mike Whitlow.

Edited by Underpants

Too soon to say. All this about him controlling the ball nicely, him passing nicely, him attacking nicely, blah, blah......he's a full back & first & foremost he needs to be a good defender.

To be clear , i like him & think he's done well so far, but it's when his defensive abilities - his tackling, his positional play, his covering & recovery etc - have been properly tested, that i'll be making a judgement.

16 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Too soon to say. All this about him controlling the ball nicely, him passing nicely, him attacking nicely, blah, blah......he's a full back & first & foremost he needs to be a good defender.

To be clear , i like him & think he's done well so far, but it's when his defensive abilities - his tackling, his positional play, his covering & recovery etc - have been properly tested, that i'll be making a judgement.

I think most have already made their assessment in the things you have mentioned. I know I have.

I like Chicksen - does everything solidly without being spectacular at anything particularly. I'd definitely want to keep him till summer and probably beyond. 

Emmanuel on the other hand - if he sorts out his mental side he has everything to be a very very good player at the level above this. He just needs to stop running into people with the ball. 

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Is the defensive improvement since Hill got him and others in indicative that he might be decent defensively?

Ok the whole team has improved on that front, but as a unit the backline is, for me, the best and most consistent section.

42 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Is the defensive improvement since Hill got him and others in indicative that he might be decent defensively?

Ok the whole team has improved on that front, but as a unit the backline is, for me, the best and most consistent section.

Aye, I feared a Coyle/Lennon type disaster when Hill was described as an "attacking" manager but the improvement & obvious work in the defence has shown him to be an intelligent manager. Having to blend in so many new players & being forced to chop & change the centre halves, makes it even more impressive.

Individually, Matthews has flown under the radar but has been rock solid & is clearly trusted by the defenders ( that should be the kiss of death for Saturday !! ) , Emmanuel looks well capable of playing at a higher level, & despite his rushes of blood, Zouma has the potential to be very good long term & back to Chicksen....as much as i like him, i'll reserve judgement until we've seen him when we're under the cosh or when he faces a really good opponent !!

Re Chicksen's defensive capabilities or otherwise, I think after the 10 games or whatever he's played, we can be reasonably sure he's got what it takes for this division.  That's not to say someone at Peterbrough or Sunderland wont give him a roasting occasionally, but show me a full back that doesnt happen to (OK, Ream didnt get beat much for pace!).  These days passing, crossing, controlling etc is just as important in a full back, otherwise you are just coughing up possession every time you get the ball instead of creating a half chance or winning a corner.  We needed to attract a player to play for peanuts on a short term deal whilst 15 points adrift in Div 1 but who had to be an improvement on what we had in recent Championship and promotion seasons.  He beats them hands down in every aspect for me, apart from arm waving (Taylor) and "long" throws (Moxey).

I'm not defending terrible performances, and I wasnt there so probably dont appreciate just how bad it must have been, but last time we lost 7-1 our left back was Tim Ream, as good as any of our full backs in the last 10 years.  Another top left back was Alonso, and he had plenty of nightmares for us defensively.  As I said in the original post, every full back gets roasted occasionally and I've seen enough of both Chicksen and Emmanuel  to think it wont be a regular thing in this league.

• Site Supporter
18 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Opposition manager looks at team sheet, picks side were Verlinden is likely to play, attacks it and full back on that side gets ripped a new arsehole. And repeat.

Verlinden also made a big difference against mk when he came on, by attacking their full back.

Not sure it's quite so simple, sometimes attack is the best form of defense.

That said, I'm concerned that, once down to 10 players, we apparently failed to make the necessary adjustments in defense, simultaneously weakening the midfield.

Seems things could have been done differently, but if the whole team is having a bad day then perhaps KH was always onto a loser.

Whether he starts or finishes he seems to play in bursts.  He looked like a great impact sub v MK Dons and turned the game but his explosive starts against Rotherham and Accrington brought us 2 cracking goals.  He seems to fade out of the game though, definitely not a 90 minute player.