Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Statto question

SatanGreavsie

4 hours ago, Morizio said:

Well done you! He is one and he was immensely shit as well

Ray Deakin scored one in the 8-1 win over Walsall didn't he? Others were Caldwell (5), Valentine and Rudge. 

Ray Train? Brian Smith? Not sure either of them played 100 games though. 

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Ray Deakin scored one in the 8-1 win over Walsall didn't he? Others were Caldwell (5), Valentine and Rudge. 

Brian Smith was a prolific scorer in the games he played... he just didn't get enough starts. (I think)

edit - 3 in 49 appearances. Wonder why I thought he was a great striker who just didn't get enough starts..

Edited by MickyD

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Brian Smith even scored on MOTD I think

V millwall, fluked a cross?

11 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

You could well be right... I was a big fan of his but my memory isn't that reliable either. 

Brian was a busy midfielder but only played when Ian Greaves's prefered options ( Reid Greaves Morgan or Train) were injured unlucky not to get more games .Played one of his best games in the League cup win at Derby  ( same season we lost in the semi-final to Everton)

• Site Supporter
45 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Brian was a busy midfielder but only played when Ian Greaves's prefered options ( Reid Greaves Morgan or Train) were injured unlucky not to get more games .Played one of his best games in the League cup win at Derby  ( same season we lost in the semi-final to Everton)

Wagged school to attend that game (Derby) Next morning I waited for my dad to go to work then asked mum to write an absence excuse letter.

She wrote it, shoved it in an envelope and sent me to school.

Dear Miss Westhead,

Michael was absent from school yesterday because he decided watching Bolton play at Derby was much more important than his education.

Mrs D (Snr)

On 28/11/2019 at 11:10, ZiggyStardust said:

I'm going to throw Paul Warhurst in there - no idea if he played 100 games or not, or if he scored, but I don't remember any

Fantastic player Paul Warhurst, didn’t he score two direct from corners in the same match?

9 hours ago, MickyD said:

Wagged school to attend that game (Derby) Next morning I waited for my dad to go to work then asked mum to write an absence excuse letter.

She wrote it, shoved it in an envelope and sent me to school.

Dear Miss Westhead,

Michael was absent from school yesterday because he decided watching Bolton play at Derby was much more important than his education.

Mrs D (Snr)

This was one great game what went under the radar, Derby Co had a talented team at the time and we matched them that night.

My mate asked me this question Thursday night when I phoned him up for our weekly chat. 

Without looking it up I got Tony Dunne and Brian Borrows right but guessed wrong on Dave Sutton, Paul Warhurst and Nicky Hunt I think.

And between us we got Derek Scott. 

Barness technically played 100+ times for us (92 appearences + 24 substitute)

P. S. Useless bit of trivia, but Bolton Wanderers have had a H. Simpson and a P. Griffin play for them over the years (Harry (I think) and Paul not Homer and Peter) 

Edited by DavidLeesMullet

On 28/11/2019 at 11:46, Dr Faustus said:

Honestly can't remember him getting one. Considering he was a key part of a team that scored 120 in a season, I accept it was a shitty guess 

He scored 7 that season, our strikers haven't even done that in the last few seasons.