Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Electric Cars / Company Cars

birch-chorley

Anyone had a full electric car? Whats it like to live with in the real world?

My company car goes back in April, the car tax on its got ridiculous now anyway so I'm considering looking at full electric, only thing with suitable range would be the Tesla Model 3 (long range). Its not on my car list but I can go on the allowance then get the car on a lease and hopefully make a tidy sum out of claiming mileage back from the company at £0.15 (should only cost £0.03 per mile with electric)

Not sure if its just too soon for full electric and the intricacies of claiming back mileage if you own an electric car vs a Diesel 

Anyone got a Tesla or a full electric car who can share advise, especially if your back and forth to London for work! 

• Site Supporter

There will be 0% BIK from April 2020 on full electric cars so they become even more tax advantageous.

Agreed, Hybrids are creeping up unless you can get quite a low emission car.

There are pretty comprehensive lists available via google as to which cars fit in which category and how that will change from April onwards

If you can only claim back £0.04 per mile then that will only cover the fuel costs, I will be better off with a Diesel then as I can get £0.15 per mile from my employer (which covers fuel costs) and a further 40% of the difference between the £0.15 and the £0.45 HMRC rate (£0.12 per mile) to cover wear and tear 

That's probably worth an additional £100 a month to cover wear and tear costs

43 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

If you can only claim back £0.04 per mile then that will only cover the fuel costs, I will be better off with a Diesel then as I can get £0.15 per mile from my employer (which covers fuel costs) and a further 40% of the difference between the £0.15 and the £0.45 HMRC rate (£0.12 per mile) to cover wear and tear 

That's probably worth an additional £100 a month to cover wear and tear costs

Just lease then wear and tear isn't an issue.

23 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

@birch-chorley

have a look at these. Maybe more affordable than a Tesla and a decent bit of kit. Unsure if covers your needs mileage wise 

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/passengercars/mercedes-benz-cars/models/eqc/explore/footnote.module.html

over £60k!! Cant get near that

The Tesla Model 3 start in the mid £30k's, the lon grang mid £40k's 

1 hour ago, Big E said:

Don't you get good deals with Hybrids? Sure Sweep changed to a 4x4 thing that was loads better. 

Tax was good on the hybrid, its slowly creeping up though. I've not had the hybrid for a year know and I'm getting property bummed on my current car, I'm just about to change it though to something lot lower on tax....

14 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

How many miles a day do you do?

About 15k a year Business 

Drive to London circa 200 miles, then drive back the day after, repeat most week's with a little bit of personal miles local 

Charging points at work so as long as the range is fine for a London trip then it shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience 

Based on the £0.04 a mile it wont stack up for me to go car allowance and buy myself, it would only be beneficial as a company car as I would save circa £300 a month in company car tax versus an equivalent Diesel car 

I do too many miles to go full electric, the infrastructure just isn't there at the minute, although that will change over the coming years in sure.

I'm just about to collect a car off a colleague that's recentky left work, so I'll only have it for just two years, by which time, I'm hoping EVs will have come down in price and the range will have increased.

The move from my current car to my "new" one will save me nearly £200 per month in tax, so that's quite nice

Edited by Sweep

4 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

About 15k a year Business 

Drive to London circa 200 miles, then drive back the day after, repeat most week's with a little bit of personal miles local 

Charging points at work so as long as the range is fine for a London trip then it shouldn't be too much of an inconvenience 

Based on the £0.04 a mile it wont stack up for me to go car allowance and buy myself, it would only be beneficial as a company car as I would save circa £300 a month in company car tax versus an equivalent Diesel car 

You would need to charge after getting to London in order to get back. So long as there are plenty of charge ports that are handy...remember that depending on charger types available it can be over 30 hours for a full charge...

We've looked into it and as much as they are amazing cars - they just don't work for the sort of driving I end up doing. Can't guarantee charging points everywhere I go. 

21 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

You would need to charge after getting to London in order to get back. So long as there are plenty of charge ports that are handy...remember that depending on charger types available it can be over 30 hours for a full charge...

We've looked into it and as much as they are amazing cars - they just don't work for the sort of driving I end up doing. Can't guarantee charging points everywhere I go. 

The Tesla would work for me as its over 300+ range on the long range model 

I can charge it at work all day then drive it back 

Worst case every services on route now has dozens of those Tesla charging points that give you 80% charge in  decent time 

Its just squaring off the £40k+ cost, you can get them for around £500 a month but if your only getting £0.04 a mile then it kills it financially 

2 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Not if they save you a small fortune in tax they aren’t 

Mid range company cars are now £300+ a month in BIK tax 

Hybrids are about half that 

Full electric £0  

the Tesla model 3 looks great and basically drives itself 

I was with a client in Rotterdam recently and he picked me up in his Tesla and it was a really smart car. He was getting 450 miles to a full charge and he demonstrated the self drive facility too which was amazing.