Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Electric Cars / Company Cars

birch-chorley

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Had a drive of our Maudes new electric Volvo. I’m sold. 
Wanna get a new car this year, need to get a charging point installed so might as well go down the electric route as well. Been having a look and seen a few. Fairly spacious room enough for two car seats going forward and the dog and golf clubs in the back 😁. Only really drive to Manchester. 

Looked at the Mustang Mach E. £40k. 280miles on one charge, 10 min charge for 50 miles. No tax no petrol. 

Any better deals out there?

• Site Supporter
15 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Wanna get a new car this year, need to get a charging point installed so might as well go down the electric route as well. Been having a look and seen a few. Fairly spacious room enough for two car seats going forward and the dog and golf clubs in the back 😁. Only really drive to Manchester. 

Looked at the Mustang Mach E. £40k. 280miles on one charge, 10 min charge for 50 miles. No tax no petrol. 

Sounds decent that.

16 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

The mustang looks a good vehicle. Unsure around build quality as if it’s a true mustang it will be excellent if it’s a standard ford with the mustang badge unsure. 

wouldn’t put anyone off one. 

Personally I would never buy a brand new car. my Company cars are brand new when I get them and they go back into the used network at 7.5k miles and are effectively 8/10 weeks old. 90% motorway miles 

My current car would retail at 61k. Will be sold for around 48k I imagine when it goes back this month. 

you can also pick up demonstrators etc which have a huge saving on them.  

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

The mustang looks a good vehicle. Unsure around build quality as if it’s a true mustang it will be excellent if it’s a standard ford with the mustang badge unsure. 

Personally I would never buy a brand new car. my Company cars are brand new when I get them and they go back into the used network at 7.5k miles and are effectively 8/10 weeks old. 90% motorway miles 

My current car would retail at 61k. Will be sold for around 48k I imagine when it goes back this month. 

Our current Passat was an ex demo/vw owned. Not sure how it finished up in Bolton, but was conveniently there when we went in to see if we could swap our previous one for one with a bit more power.

Couldn't afford it new, and would never buy another new one. Possible exception being if some fantastic scrappage type thing for going electric.

• Members
1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

If I trade my RS in with they’ll give me £20k or I can probably sell it for £22k £23k max but that’s hassle. If I trade it in with them they’ll knock off £2k off the price as well as the trade in price. So that’s a £40k for £18k with no petrol to pay. 4 year warranty. £200 for a charging station at ours for two cars.  
Only downside is having to plan out long distance journeys to aim for a charging spot.

6 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

If I trade my RS in with they’ll give me £20k or I can probably sell it for £22k £23k max but that’s hassle. If I trade it in with them they’ll knock off £2k off the price as well as the trade in price. So that’s a £40k for £18k with no petrol to pay. 4 year warranty. £200 for a charging station at ours for two cars.  
Only downside is having to plan out long distance journeys to aim for a charging spot.

Couple of things for you mate

firstly focus rs which I think you have? Are one of the most desirable hot hatches around bar none. I know people who have them in storage and they are appreciating in value. Just a thought. They will want your car for that reason 

secondly the mustang mach e is subject to the 3.5k government grant. Make sure they are not building this in to the deal you are getting thus being a bit sneaky and saying give us your car and we will knock 2k off. Thus pocketing An extra 1.5k margin 

I would shop around and use carwow also 

• Members
7 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Couple of things for you mate

firstly focus rs which I think you have? Are one of the most desirable hot hatches around bar none. I know people who have them in storage and they are appreciating in value. Just a thought. They will want your car for that reason 

secondly the mustang mach e is subject to the 3.5k government grant. Make sure they are not building this in to the deal you are getting thus being a bit sneaky and saying give us your car and we will knock 2k off. Thus pocketing An extra 1.5k margin 

I would shop around and use carwow also 

2.3 2015 Rs eco. 

Ahh right I see I see, sneaky bastards. I’ll have a look on carwow then and see what comes up. 

On 04/01/2020 at 14:16, Escobarp said:

I’d never buy second hand anymore 

As long as you shop around on Carwow and are flexible with specs and colour etc you can always get 25-30% off a brand new car 

We ended up getting a deal on a brand new Renault Kadjar that had been pre registered, discounted by a third. After 12 months and 6k miles it had barely depreciated 

Just now, birch-chorley said:

I’d never buy second hand anymore 

As long as you shop around on Carwow and are flexible with specs and colour etc you can always get 25-30% off a brand new car 

We ended up getting a deal on a brand new Renault Kadjar that had been pre registered, discounted by a third. After 12 months and 6k miles it had barely depreciated 

I get upto 40% off new cars cos because my job . But if I didn’t I would never buy a new car even with car wow. But that’s just my own preference. 
there are some great deals out there granted but if you know the industry then for me used is the way to go but it can be a faff to get what you want. 

so can see the attraction of buying one and would always point folk to carwow 

I should imagine the battery life reduces, be a bit like a blower 

after three years your stopping at 2 services on the way home for a quick charge up 

Just get yourself an extra long lead off Amazon and leave it plugged in all the time 

Edited by birch-chorley

Just now, Rudy’s Message said:

So these electric batteries, do they decrease in range and power overtime? start off doing 250m and then a year down the line fully charge to 200m and drain quicker?

Too soon to say with accuracy what the decrease in performance is as tech is moving so quick and it’s all relatively new. 

it will decrease but would imagine marginal.  Anything more should be covered by warranty within the set timeframes obvs 

I will try and get some Specific data for you when I’m in the office next week and will post it on here pal 

• Members
5 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I should imagine the battery life reduces, be a bit like a blower 

after three years your stopping at 2 services on the way home for a quick charge up 

Just get yourself an extra long lead off Amazon and leave it plugged in all the time 

I’ve ripped off a solar panel off the neighbours roof, and stuck it on our maudes, I’ll report back.

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Too soon to say with accuracy what the decrease in performance is as tech is moving so quick and it’s all relatively new. 

it will decrease but would imagine marginal.  Anything more should be covered by warranty within the set timeframes obvs 

I will try and get some Specific data for you when I’m in the office next week and will post it on here pal 

Yeah the guy who I asked was a generic salesman so kept referring to the onboard computer to tell me the range. 
Cheers pal

• 1 month later...
  • Members
29 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

New Porsche electric car on top gear. 0-70 in about 2 seconds. What a piece of engineering that thing is. Unbelievable 

Say for example an average family fully Electric car. Say you get 200miles on one charge, you need to charge every 3 days, whats that looking like in terms of home electric use?

If the future is moving away from petrol, doesn’t that have a knock on effect on the government and the economy? Is the price of electric not just going to replace the money made from petrol?

Edited by Rudy’s Message

• Site Supporter
39 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

New Porsche electric car on top gear. 0-70 in about 2 seconds. What a piece of engineering that thing is. Unbelievable 

16 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Say for example an average family fully Electric car. Say you get 200miles on one charge, you need to charge every 3 days, whats that looking like in terms of home electric use?

If the future is moving away from petrol, doesn’t that have a knock on effect on the government and the economy? Is the price of electric not just going to replace the money made from petrol?

The bit about there being only four suitable chargers in UK to fast-charge it was kind of important. Home charging would take 24 hours. Didn't say how many watts it would consume.

59 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

https://www.edfenergy.com/electric-cars/costs

Not sure what loss of tax revenue will be tbh and sure they’ve thought of a way to replace it by taxing something else 

43 minutes ago, MickyD said:

The bit about there being only four suitable chargers in UK to fast-charge it was kind of important. Home charging would take 24 hours. Didn't say how many watts it would consume.

Absolutely and really not a feasible car for mere mortals micky   But some piece of kit that was. 

13 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Your looking at around £0.02 to £0.03 per mile charging at home 

A reasonable Petrol / Diesel needs around £0.12 to £0.15 per mile 

You can get decent home chargers for £800, then claim £500 back from the government 

Anyone looking at leasing and fancies Electric, the Audi E Tron is currently going for around £450-£500 a month on leasing.com - not bad for an £80k car 

• Members
25 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Your looking at around £0.02 to £0.03 per mile charging at home 

A reasonable Petrol / Diesel needs around £0.12 to £0.15 per mile 

You can get decent home chargers for £800, then claim £500 back from the government 

Anyone looking at leasing and fancies Electric, the Audi E Tron is currently going for around £450-£500 a month on leasing.com - not bad for an £80k car 

So our Maude has an electric Volvo through work, a chap called her about installing a charging port at our home. He said £500 you can claim back the rest if it’s a company car, can be charged to the company they get a bill to pay before tax and they can either write it off or she’d have to pay the remainder. That sound about right?

Company car policies for electric cars are a grey area at our place 

Usually you pay for fuel at a petrol station so it’s easier to work out what’s business v personal. If your charging a car at home then I’m not sure how you split your electricity bill to show what % is fuel / company miles. Perhaps the charging units record the volume of KWh used 

with this in mind, I’d expect a company to pay the £300 difference on the charging units 

18 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Company car policies for electric cars are a grey area at our place 

Usually you pay for fuel at a petrol station so it’s easier to work out what’s business v personal. If your charging a car at home then I’m not sure how you split your electricity bill to show what % is fuel / company miles. Perhaps the charging units record the volume of KWh used 

with this in mind, I’d expect a company to pay the £300 difference on the charging units 

My old company I had to pay £99 to have mine put in. But then I could claim that back through expenses. But I couldn’t claim back the cost of charging my hybrid I just had to swallow that cost as I was getting tax savings.
Guess it’s down to each company how they do it.  needless to say I never charged mine and just used self charge whilst on motorway etc. fuel bill from my diesel Audi to petrol/hybrid bmw doubled as a result. 

Our company is just about to sign off a Tesla Model 3 for one of my colleagues.......they're also paying for a charge point to be installed at his home. It's a test case really, if successful, they've said they'll roll out to the rest of us as and when our current deals come to an end (provided it works out, and is actually feasible for the mileage we do)