Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sunderland Boxing Day

MickyD

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Let’s hope he keeps getting into those positions, as his composure improves he should start scoring a few. Lads decent player. 

I like the way he plays with his head up and always looking for a give and go, keeping it moving. Good set piece delivery too.

Sometimes I think he's ahead of others in his thinking. More experience and physical maturity and he'll be reet.

12 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Let’s hope he keeps getting into those positions, as his composure improves he should start scoring a few. Lads decent player. 

Indeed, the good thing is he has the knack of finding pockets of space and anticipating where the ball's going to drop. Hopefully he'll notch one soon and a few more will follow

2 hours ago, ianofcleveleys said:

One goal conceded in two away games, good progress, effective way of playing away seeming to be developed

Safe journey home to all who've made the journey 

Today is good progress because its a point, but we lost at Peterboro comfortably (could have been 3 or 4 nil), that game cant be counted as part of any 'progress'.  Its 1 goal in the last 4 away games, and the goal was after 5 minutes at Accrington, so its 0 goals in almost 4 aways.  I'll take a point in any away game this season, but we're still on a bad run.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Today is good progress because its a point, but we lost at Peterboro comfortably (could have been 3 or 4 nil), that game cant be counted as part of any 'progress'.  Its 1 goal in the last 4 away games, and the goal was after 5 minutes at Accrington, so its 0 goals in almost 4 aways.  I'll take a point in any away game this season, but we're still on a bad run.

Perhaps we need to curb our expectations a little. We're still very much a work in progress. Also outperforming those around us. Keep that up and survival is just about possible. Games in hand and got to play nearest rivals again.

Love to leave January off bottom and closing down the others.

2 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Good point whites

Pity Wimbledon have won but other results have gone well

I'm not even at the point of looking at other results, other than thinking it would be good to get off the bottom.  If we get a positive result and everyone else in bottom half wins, its still a good day, we are just trying to be competitive.  I'd rather lose 2 points on the others and draw than lose 7-1 and see that the others have all lost 8-1.

Decent point today, gutted we didn't get the 3 points as I had us in a £10.00 win treble with Everton & Villa, who both won, I would have won about £260.00, never mind, at least I'm optimistic that we've got a chance of winning games these days!

49 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I like the way he plays with his head up and always looking for a give and go, keeping it moving. Good set piece delivery too.

Sometimes I think he's ahead of others in his thinking. More experience and physical maturity and he'll be reet.

Yes he looks to have a future in league football.  Reminds me a bit of Ward Prowse with his attitude and dead ball delivery. Injuries permitting he's nailed on to be in our midfield next season assuming its in Div 2 (less likely to sign better players than if we stay up).  With Graham and Politic also capable of making it, we arent going to be short of cheap home grown midfielders next season. I hope Politic gets enough encouragement to stay and build his career here because he's got something different to most.

• Site Supporter

Interesting collection of memorabilia in The Coliery. A framed shirt probably adorns the walls of most pubs so close to a football ground but a referee's shirt, signed by the "top" refs of the time. I spotted Mark Halsey's signature then stopped looking when I found Mike Riley and Barry Knight.

Image may contain: indoor

27 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Perhaps we need to curb our expectations a little. We're still very much a work in progress. Also outperforming those around us. Keep that up and survival is just about possible. Games in hand and got to play nearest rivals again.

Love to leave January off bottom and closing down the others.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-one/form/matches:6/type:home-and-away  form table last 6 games.  Sunderland and Ipswich even worse than us.  Accrington no longer relegation rivals, replaced by Rochdale. 

Parkinson said: “It is difficult, the club has had a lot of managers over a short period of time, whatever way you look at it, I have had promotions out of this division.
“At the moment we are struggling to find that winning formula but have I become a poor manager overnight?
“My record would suggest to everybody it is as strong as anybodies. You have difficult periods, you have to be resilient and come through them.
“You can keep chopping and changing managers but quite often that doesn’t prove successful as everyone knows.”

sounds like he knows is days are numbered 

• Site Supporter

Still loads of time left this season, I’m not bothered about getting out of the bottom 3 until the 44th game of the season.

Keep chipping away and the great escape is on. Hopefully pick up at least 4 points from these 2 home games then I’d be expecting Hill to tweak the squad a bit, get a bit more balance to it and hit February in better nick than we are in now. Would be nice to get our business done early in a busy month.

Cracking point today, would take that all day long - and will do in any away game. Up to us to get home form right if we are getting out this mess.

Quality save from Remi at the death. Links to highlights don’t work over here so if anyone can record them on their phone/tablet and put them on here.....

13 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Played okay, unlucky not to go in at half-time at least a goal up, once Verlinden went off just after the hour the game was dead from our point of view and we just played for the 0-0.

Fans were top as always, good coachful of lads, the toilet took a proper hammering, Tomski was the main culprit, piss for Nigeria that lad.

Bolton Baked fucked up though going, turning up to the wrong pick up point, .......and he organised it 🤣

Onwards and upwards, games coming thick and fast, we just need to start picking up more 3 pointers.

Fancy turning up late for your own gig!

the DJ on the coach needs some new tracks 

2 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Still loads of time left this season, I’m not bothered about getting out of the bottom 3 until the 44th game of the season.

Keep chipping away and the great escape is on. Hopefully pick up at least 4 points from these 2 home games then I’d be expecting Hill to tweak the squad a bit, get a bit more balance to it and hit February in better nick than we are in now. Would be nice to get our business done early in a busy month.

Cracking point today, would take that all day long - and will do in any away game. Up to us to get home form right if we are getting out this mess.

Quality save from Remi at the death. Links to highlights don’t work over here so if anyone can record them on their phone/tablet and put them on here.....

I agree with the principle but any survival plan has to take into account playing the best team in the league, currently, away on the last day.  If we need 3 points there you'd hope they've either already got the title sown up or have to rest a few for the play offs!

Good day as echoed. If Phil stays in charge,  one of the teams just above us will win up there.

second half they should of done us but credit to the resilience/resistance we put up. 

I think today confirmed we are going to division 4 again. Not a bad performance but we aren’t good enough to beat this.

6 hours ago, tomski said:

Good day as echoed. If Phil stays in charge,  one of the teams just above us will win up there.

second half they should of done us but credit to the resilience/resistance we put up. 

I think today confirmed we are going to division 4 again. Not a bad performance but we aren’t good enough to beat this.

Nail on the head 

I know I’m mr negative about staying up but I can’t see us putting a 4/5 winning run together especially against the poorer sides 

my only hope is what happens in the transfer window.

ps. Sort your bladder out😀

• Site Supporter

Good day out. Deserved the point.

Sunderland need to sort out their ale offering - not much different from ours.

Matthews was fantastic. That save down in the bottom corner was incredible. Faith restored in him. 👍

Thanks BB, top busing!