Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion
Sign in to follow this  
Casino

Burton, home, NYD

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

because he fucked up with his play on decision which came to nothing

Fucking hell yes, it's all coming back. Foul right in front of goal, albeit about 25 yards out. Want a free kick? Nah, let's wait for the ball to be played out to the East touchline on the halfway line. What a cunt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, stevieb said:

2 nil up early doors and losing 4-3.

Never ever acceptable. 

Missed every fucking goal today but that result is absolutely shite given where we were! 

 

Considering how many there were, that's some going!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Defending for all their goals was dire   

 

Edited by burnden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, snowball said:

Im not having that. The way they fought under the cosh second half v Shrewsbury no lack of effort from most. Let down by Lowe and Murphy today. Hills no genius but hasnt got much.

Ironic how many of Parkinsons cheerleaders who made excuse after excuse for him seem to have it in for Hill already. We are a limited team thsts been thrown together with a limited manager . Bad as it was at times today still rather watch us this season than last. 

Very pertinent last sentence.

As frustrating etc as we are, and all isn't rosy, it's a million miles away from the tedious dross served up previously.

We are trying to win games and it's a far more positive experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still a bit shellshocked but.......defensively we weren't that bad individually, even Wright who had a iffy game made some fine last gasp tackles & blocks, but as a defensive unit, they were a shambles.

The sending off seemed harsh but Murphy was a dick for giving the ref the option.

Upfront.....the Verlinden at centre forward ploy was as gormless as it gets but when we shuffled them round ( & i agree that Politic looks a better player down the middle than on the wing ) we caused them some problems & i'm taking it as a small positive that we had the fight to keep going to the end & that Burton were desperately hanging on.

&.....it would be nice to be able to bring on a player as good as Liam Boyce as a sub,....i presume they were saving him for the cup, though their big no10 wasn't bad either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Very pertinent last sentence.

As frustrating etc as we are, and all isn't rosy, it's a million miles away from the tedious dross served up previously.

We are trying to win games and it's a far more positive experience.

100 percent.

We couldn’t string 3 passes together. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Completely agree. 
 

thing I don’t get is folk bemoaned Owen coyle and the focus on table tennis and 5 aside training. Yet our defending (albeit with much better players than we have now) was a million times more organized and better so beggars the question what the fuck are these boys doing all week?? 
 

Even at schoolboy level defenders are coached and taught to defend. There is no sight whatsoever of any organization or semblance of any structure to the way we defend and that for me sits with the management team 

not sure when folk will finally wake up and realise this “it’s a team of stragglers” excuse has long worn thin. 

there will be teams with worse players Than ours man for man who can defend a whole lot better. Because they are coached properly and aware of theirs and their team mates limitations. 

Coaches can coach defending as a unit, how to be difficult to break down collectively. Hill can be held responsible for a lot but for an experienced centre half like Wright being turned with ease twice? Not for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Considering how many there were, that's some going!

Took a 2 year old and a 6 year old. 

Only goal I saw (on the TV) was our one that was disallowed! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, snowball said:

Im not having that. The way they fought under the cosh second half v Shrewsbury no lack of effort from most. Let down by Lowe and Murphy today. Hills no genius but hasnt got much.

Ironic how many of Parkinsons cheerleaders who made excuse after excuse for him seem to have it in for Hill already. We are a limited team thsts been thrown together with a limited manager . Bad as it was at times today still rather watch us this season than last. 

Aye, u make a good point, and it is definitely preferable to Parky.

I just can't put my finger on it, but I am sure he is not getting as much from the squad as he could, or better managers could (Not that we have that luxury admitted!)

The sendings off as an example, two senior players in consecutive matches!! , that does not seem to be the actions of players playing under a manager in full control??

Can't imagine similar happening under BSA or Rioch, although someone will now prove me wrong!! 😝

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My reservations at the time Hill and Flitcroft were appointed were based on having lived local for 30+ years, seeing a lot of Rochdale over the years and watched how it went sour for him there last season.

In the time up to when he was removed at the beginning of March, and Brian Barry Murphy steadied the ship to keep them up, Dale's home results contained the following: 1-4, 0-4, 1-3, 2-3, 0-4, 0-4, 3-4. In the middle of the two successive 0-4s was a 0-5 away, meaning 13 conceded in 3 games. The 3-4, his penultimate game, was followed by a 1-5 away and the bullet

Barry Murphy got the same group of players to keep 5 clean sheets in the 12 games that followed, helping them to save their skins and stay up

There was a degree of haste in appointing the pair which was understandable in the circumstances, and maybe more time may have enabled more rigour in the process and a closer examination of whatever claims they made in their presentation about building success from solid foundations! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Murphy’s first one was a definite booking but can understand why he had a nibble given what position he was in on the edge of our box. Thick as fuck to then get done on halfway when on a booking though. 

As much as I posted at the time that Weir should have tracked back better on the fourth goal, you’ve got to give him and Darcy a certain amount of credit for doing a respectable job in a two man midfield. As baffling as the Verlinden/O’Grady situation was, nobody can accuse Hill of not going for it with three up top for so long. 

Wright did well clearing off the line early on but all downhill from there. I do think Earl has a future though and it’ll be interesting to see what happens with Chicksen when Bunny is fit. 

I’m another one who doesn’t sign up to refereeing conspiracy theories, but that mon today was either plain incompetent or bent as fuck. Baffling inconsistency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

I’ve lost count of the amount of strikers I’ve seen against us that I’d like to see in a white shirt. Their no.10 lead the line brilliantly first half.

Delighted with Murphy, but there’s a wide array of decent front men in this league; as shit as the standard is anyway. 

Lucas Akins was good today.  But like that Shrewsbury midfielder Norburn, hasnt exactly had his pick of decent clubs and he's 30 now.  Spent years at Tranmere (like Norburn), and after that Stevenage.  According to Wiki he had a trial at Rochdale in 2010, and wasnt taken on.  Hill was the manager and Flitcroft assistant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's decent midfielders and perhaps a good centre half we're short of. Winning it back quicker, and setting the tone for the front men to attack.

We arent a million miles away, against this standard of opposition, and even with our problems it wouldnt have been an impossible thought to have 1 of Hobbs and Wheater at centre back and 1 of  Bridcutt, O'Neill and Crawford in midfield for every game this season.  What a difference that would have made, just a bit more luck injury wise and the signing of O'Neill and retaining of Wheater.  Is there any reason not to offer O'Neill a contract till the end of the season given what's happened this week?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the game itself, two great early goals, but note of caution was how close they'd come to scoring seconds before the first. 

Same problems unfolded then without the ball that have been evident in previous home games. No obvious screen in front of centre backs, back four lined up too deep, midfield all in a line with too much distance between them and back four, one pass or a dribble beating them all. Whenever we lose possession it's far too easy to get it through to their front men. Today, it was a doddle for Akins, get backed up against Wright, get it knocked into him, roll his man and shoot or lay it off and set someone else up. All absolute basics of structure and set up, regardless of personnel. 

Some little bits of bad luck here and there (ref getting in Darcy's way in run up to their 2nd, Emanuel nearly robbing lad who scored first before he got shot off) but overall, as a collective, nowhere near good enough out of possession.

What's even more falling was that Burton were crap themselves defensively,  were panic stricken near the end under the slightest pressure and we had the ball in the net twice with 10 men plus that late chance for Darcy. 

Murphy was having a good game at the time but maybe trying to do too much caused him to have that mad moment. Too easy for that prick of a ref to flash his card at and make a name for himself. Was he the one from up my way who we had v Fleetwood, and who was equally bad that day? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Casino said:

I'm not watching that shite again

My point being he kept going and I think got better as the game went on

As for something 80 minutes in, in his first game for months, a man down, he's probably fcuked

I'm not trying to have a go at Weir, I wanted him to show what he could do today, but we were commenting from 1st minute to last that he was just jogging around, hardly putting a foot in and not busting a gut to win tackles or get involved.  And if he's nackered near the end it only adds to the confusion of why he wasnt replaced by Politic earlier.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm not trying to have a go at Weir, I wanted him to show what he could do today, but we were commenting from 1st minute to last that he was just jogging around, hardly putting a foot in and not busting a gut to win tackles or get involved.  And if he's nackered near the end it only adds to the confusion of why he wasnt replaced by Politic earlier.  

He was played out of position, and Politic can't play the role Weir was asked to play either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ianofcleveleys said:

My reservations at the time Hill and Flitcroft were appointed were based on having lived local for 30+ years, seeing a lot of Rochdale over the years and watched how it went sour for him there last season.

In the time up to when he was removed at the beginning of March, and Brian Barry Murphy steadied the ship to keep them up, Dale's home results contained the following: 1-4, 0-4, 1-3, 2-3, 0-4, 0-4, 3-4. In the middle of the two successive 0-4s was a 0-5 away, meaning 13 conceded in 3 games. The 3-4, his penultimate game, was followed by a 1-5 away and the bullet

Barry Murphy got the same group of players to keep 5 clean sheets in the 12 games that followed, helping them to save their skins and stay up

There was a degree of haste in appointing the pair which was understandable in the circumstances, and maybe more time may have enabled more rigour in the process and a closer examination of whatever claims they made in their presentation about building success from solid foundations! 

How longs Hills contract? Unusually I’ve made my mind about him in double quick time. Do hope I’m wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is the last few games have been against average sides.

yes we are scoring, but conceding for fun.

surely under a new regime, you make yourself hard to beat first and foremost.  If you don’t concede, you don’t lose.

lowe and Murphy have been stupid with the sendings off and add in the bad luck with good players being injured - we aren’t having much luck and you can’t really blame the manager for that.

maybe this window might help, but let’s be honest, it was always majority unlikely we would stay up this season and we are putting the foundations in place for next season in league 2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, marple whites said:

The problem is the last few games have been against average sides.

yes we are scoring, but conceding for fun.

surely under a new regime, you make yourself hard to beat first and foremost.  If you don’t concede, you don’t lose.

lowe and Murphy have been stupid with the sendings off and add in the bad luck with good players being injured - we aren’t having much luck and you can’t really blame the manager for that.

maybe this window might help, but let’s be honest, it was always majority unlikely we would stay up this season and we are putting the foundations in place for next season in league 2?

What foundations are we putting in place?

as you say make yourself hard to beat first. Surely that’s the foundation we should be putting in place for next season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must say I’m very torn on Keith so far 
 

if we are not knocking around in top 6 in league 2 come October he can clear off for me 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep read about preparing for next year

Not sure how we do that when permanent options have to be signed off by the league, so there wont be many if them

And loanees will be limited to one window, plus only 5 can play

 

Anyway, this keague is so shit that even after todays kick in the bollocks, we shouldnt be giving up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Murphy’s first one was a definite booking but can understand why he had a nibble given what position he was in on the edge of our box. Thick as fuck to then get done on halfway when on a booking though. 

As much as I posted at the time that Weir should have tracked back better on the fourth goal, you’ve got to give him and Darcy a certain amount of credit for doing a respectable job in a two man midfield. As baffling as the Verlinden/O’Grady situation was, nobody can accuse Hill of not going for it with three up top for so long. 

Wright did well clearing off the line early on but all downhill from there. I do think Earl has a future though and it’ll be interesting to see what happens with Chicksen when Bunny is fit. 

I’m another one who doesn’t sign up to refereeing conspiracy theories, but that mon today was either plain incompetent or bent as fuck. Baffling inconsistency. 

I would agree on Earl.  I had huge doubts about him following the Accy penalty incident and doing something similar v Southend on the edge of the box, but he has something about him.  Beats a man with ease and can pick a good long pass (I think it was his pass that set Dodoo away for the 1st goal).  Very comfortable in possession, which partly makes up for any defensive weakness.  Given we're going to be in League 2 next season, and he isnt going to be wanted by PNE, he'd be a good one to get longer term especially as he provides left back cover.  Although that last bit is a negative really coz it encourages Hill to use a small midfielder at centre back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has Keef revealed whether D Murph was injured hence the otherwise baffling substitution?

Also, jeans and trainers. He should dress for the job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

Has Keef revealed whether D Murph was injured hence the otherwise baffling substitution?

Also, jeans and trainers. He should dress for the job.

Casual look

arteta did it tonight 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.