Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sir Clive Lloyd

globaldiver

One of the reasons I fell in love with cricket. It helped that Lancs were one day King's at the time but when he walked out you just knew the other team thought, oh shit! I know I thought that when he walked out against us for the Windies. But I thought that when any West Indian walked out.

Back in the mid to late 80's, a housing association (iirc Anchor housing) named a sheltered scheme after him. We were suppliers to the Job, and at the behest of the architect and client had a big sign made for the entrance. The architect, client, ourselves and the sign manufacturer had it installed and his Mum was guest of honour at the opening as he was busy elsewhere in the world. She burst into fits of giggles when the sign was unveiled to read 'Sir Clive Lloyd Court'. Not one of us had queried it. I guess we were just about 30-35 years too early

48 minutes ago, Gonk said:

Back in the mid to late 80's, a housing association (iirc Anchor housing) named a sheltered scheme after him. We were suppliers to the Job, and at the behest of the architect and client had a big sign made for the entrance. The architect, client, ourselves and the sign manufacturer had it installed and his Mum was guest of honour at the opening as he was busy elsewhere in the world. She burst into fits of giggles when the sign was unveiled to read 'Sir Clive Lloyd Court'. Not one of us had queried it. I guess we were just about 30-35 years too early

That rings a bell - was it in Tottenham area? Old mate from work (when I lived in London) retired to one named after Clive there (at about that time); we used to nip round to see him; be full of old school West Indian lads and lasses, playing a mean game of dominoes and with a  strange whiff of summat exotic in the air and Cockspurs Rum. Happy days!

Said Clive himself would fetch up once or twice a year to see how they were all doing.

• 2 months later...

Had the great pleasure of meeting the guy in 76/77 when I was checkout girl at whelans ( later became morrisons) in Newport st

Nearly fell of my chair

those massive black rimmed glasses and a voice like molasses

and a total gentleman