Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Loan players

MickyD

Trevor Hebberd was a cracking midfield loan signing in the very early 1980s from Southampton. 

Stuart Ripley - loaned to us by Bruce Rioch from Boro in early 86. Very young  but frightened a few third tier full backs with raw pace.

Carsten Fredgaard - the most forgettable of our Danes. Played a small number of loan games in 2000 under Big Sam. Played well in a win at Selhurst Park against Wimbledon.

Sebastian Puygrenier - big bald centre half who Megson got on loan from Zenit in 2009. Not bad!

Ariza Makukula - another Megson loan signing (from Benfica) who from memory was a bit of a lump and got a load of stick in a night match at Ewood.

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Trevor Hebberd was a cracking midfield loan signing in the very early 1980s from Southampton. 

Stuart Ripley - loaned to us by Bruce Rioch from Boro in early 86. Very young  but frightened a few third tier full backs with raw pace.

Carsten Fredgaard - the most forgettable of our Danes. Played a small number of loan games in 2000 under Big Sam. Played well in a win at Selhurst Park against Wimbledon.

Sebastian Puygrenier - big bald centre half who Megson got on loan from Zenit in 2009. Not bad!

Ariza Makukula - another Megson loan signing (from Benfica) who from memory was a bit of a lump and got a load of stick in a night match at Ewood.

A few years before we loaned him ,  Carsten Fredgaard was Rumoured to be the next big thing from Denmark and we were rumoured to be buying him for £2 million , but I think he chose Sunderland , I remember being well gutted.

8 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

A few years before we loaned him ,  Carsten Fredgaard was Rumoured to be the next big thing from Denmark and we were rumoured to be buying him for £2 million , but I think he chose Sunderland , I remember being well gutted.

Yeah I think it was Sunderland we loaned him off when Reidy was the boss there. Career seemed to fade. From memory he was fairly similar to Claus Jensen in style but played wider.

15 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Yeah I think it was Sunderland we loaned him off when Reidy was the boss there. Career seemed to fade. From memory he was fairly similar to Claus Jensen in style but played wider.

He came on as a sub at Sheffield utd,  and all game prior to him coming on I was really bullying him up to my mate , then when he came on he was like an headless chicken , needless to say my mate told me to keep my fucking opinions to myself :lol:.

Juergen Sommer. Seem to remember him being brought in on an emergency loan as we didn't have any fit keepers.

Got injured during the 5th round FA Cup game against Blackburn at home, couldn't move for their goal and never played again.

Think we also brought in Nicky Summerbee that season as well, was expecting more from him.

Edited by Clarence Carter

Just now, Clarence Carter said:

Juergen Sommer. Seem to remember him being brought in on an emergency loan as we no fit keepers.

Got injured during the 5th round FA Cup game against Blackburn at home, couldn't move for their goal and never played again for us.

Think we also brought in Nicky Summerbee that season as well, was expecting more from him.

We ended up with Tommy Wright on loan to replace Sommer IIRC. 

My only memory of Summerbee was that he had a worldie of a game when we beat Scunthorpe 5-1 in the cup. 

2 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

We ended up with Tommy Wright on loan to replace Sommer IIRC. 

My only memory of Summerbee was that he had a worldie of a game when we beat Scunthorpe 5-1 in the cup. 

You're spot on, we brought in Tommy Wright.

I think Scunthorpre surprisingly went 1 up in that cup game from what i can remember, they brought a lot of fans. Maybe that was his level, he never looked bothered.

Matt Clarke. Did a very good job for us; we were really struggling to find a competent keeper in Jussi’s absence.

I think we enquired about getting him permanently, but there was no way we were paying the £2m that Palace ended up doing for a no.2. Ended up getting a career-ending injury not long after us. 

9 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

He came on as a sub at Sheffield utd,  and all game prior to him coming on I was really bullying him up to my mate , then when he came on he was like an headless chicken , needless to say my mate told me to keep my fucking opinions to myself ::lol::.

Well his later career tends to prove that he wasn't much good for sure!

10 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Matt Clarke. Did a very good job for us; we were really struggling to find a competent keeper in Jussi’s absence.

I think we enquired about getting him permanently, but there was no way we were paying the £2m that Palace ended up doing for a no.2. Ended up getting a career-ending injury not long after us. 

We wouldn’t have gone up without Clarke. Made a great save from David Healy in the play off final. To be fair it’s a miracle Jussi became the player that he did after the serious injuries he had. Same goes for Gardner.