Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Harry and megan

Underpants

• Site Supporter
44 minutes ago, DazBob said:

But she's not white, and that's what counts in the eyes of some.

I still find it hard to believe that in 2020, anyone would even notice someone’s colour.

Surely we’re past that as a species now? Surely? 

• Members
4 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I remember growing up, you would hear the term "half caste" quite often, I'm not sure anybody would use that term now, as its clearly offensive. I don't recall when it became an unacceptable phrase though (unless it was always offensive). I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say its "PC gone mad" soon enough 🙂

there was a poem that we studied at school called half caste that first made me think yeah that’s not the best.

PE teacher called me half chips half rice which I actually preferred to half caste 😂

• Members
4 minutes ago, Spider said:

I still find it hard to believe that in 2020, anyone would even notice someone’s colour.

Surely we’re past that as a species now? Surely? 

I noticed a lot of Orange women on a night out in Liverpool. It was like a Chernobyl glow.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Rudy’s Message said:

there was a poem that we studied at school called half caste that first made me think yeah that’s not the best.

PE teacher called me half chips half rice which I actually preferred to half caste 😂

When I was a kid and one of my uncles had a black girlfriend, my nan always referred to them as "coffee and cream". Even made me feel uncomfortable at that young age, hence it sticking in my mind.

55 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Might be opening a can of worms here but I don’t think mixed raced is universally used. I’m from mixed parents but growing up half caste was used which I wasn’t keen on so I just referred to myself as black. In America it’s White Black Asian or Hispanic so with her being a yank it might be just fitting to refer to her as black.

I think it was last year when there was uproar when  a (I think) MP called someone coloured.  The argument made it onto Panorama and other TV debate shows. It ended up with 2 POC arguing about what they can and can’t be called. Us Honkies are fucked if POC can’t agree on what words can and can’t be used 😂

Edited by royal white

• Members
23 minutes ago, Cheese said:

When I was a kid and one of my uncles had a black girlfriend, my nan always referred to them as "coffee and cream". Even made me feel uncomfortable at that young age, hence it sticking in my mind.

Just one of those things that passes with time

16 minutes ago, royal white said:

I think it was last year when there was uproar when  a (I think) MP called someone coloured.  The argument made it onto Panorama and other TV debate shows. It ended up with 2 POC arguing about what they can and can’t be called. Us Honkies are fucked if POC can’t agree on what words can and can’t be used 😂

Yeah it was I remember that, talk about storm in a teacup

3 hours ago, royal white said:

Coloured is one of those phrases that was what people were told was the polite way to refer to a black person.

Since then things have changed but people of a certain vintage will still use coloured when not meaning to be derogatory.

You can make any word offensive if you put it in the right or wrong phrase.

Most normal folk can tell from context if what is being said is offensive or if it's just bad phrasing.

• Members
16 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Coloured is one of those phrases that was what people were told was the polite way to refer to a black person.

Since then things have changed but people of a certain vintage will still use coloured when not meaning to be derogatory.

You can make any word offensive if you put it in the right or wrong phrase.

Most normal folk can tell from context if what is being said is offensive or if it's just bad phrasing.

My grandma is Jamaican been over here for 50 years, she was trying to tell me about a Denzel Washington film she had seen and referred to him as the handsome coloured fella.

Its a generational thing. 

• Members
5 hours ago, Sweep said:

I remember growing up, you would hear the term "half caste" quite often, I'm not sure anybody would use that term now, as its clearly offensive. I don't recall when it became an unacceptable phrase though (unless it was always offensive). I'm sure someone will be along shortly to say its "PC gone mad" soon enough 🙂

Happy enough to use mixed race. Like many, grew up with 'half caste' and it never crossed my mind that the term may offend someone. In more recent times heard that it does so quite happy to adjust in this case without raising the PC bollocks banner.

3 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Happy enough to use mixed race. Like many, grew up with 'half caste' and it never crossed my mind that the term may offend someone. In more recent times heard that it does so quite happy to adjust in this case without raising the PC bollocks banner.

Who decides whats the ‘right’ term? 

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Same here. It was acceptable to use the term coloured back in the day. (I always thought the term black was too abrupt) 

If none white people find it offensive then ok, use the term black. The problem is that if you accidentally use a word that was acceptable 30 years ago, there is always someone looking to portray you as an owd racist.

23 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

I think you've flipped. You metropolitan elite types. Tsk!

What’s that Skip? There’s a fight broken out in front of the old mine? A man wearing nothing but a knotted hankie, flip flops and string vest is holding at bay 15 bikers armed only with a beach towel, Fanny Cradock’s recipe for custard trifle and a misplaced sense of self righteousness? 

Lead the way, the bikers obviously need our help.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Y'mean from no. 44 Tintern Avenue? I'll ask Joe next time I see him. Mid this year some time.

44 Tintern can't be so far away from a mate of mine, ex-Fireman now retired and, according to his facebook profile he's out just about every night being a free mason.

4 hours ago, MickyD said:

44 Tintern can't be so far away from a mate of mine, ex-Fireman now retired and, according to his facebook profile he's out just about every night being a free mason.

Must have had an ex president of the USA as a neighbour then?

I'm sure I heard that Bill Clinton spent some time in t'intern