Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Photo in the BN

bolty58

• Members

Ex-Wanderer mate of mine just sent me a photo from the BN. Team photo as they were leaving for a pre-season tour of Germany - I'm sure a few of you will have seen it.

Not sure who we played on that tour? i do remember a pre-season tour of Germany when we played Westfalia Herne and FR Neuss but that may have been later?

A good friend of a few of us on here went on that tour (Herne-Neuss) as his old man was the Club Secretary at the time.

Some great memories and personal heroes on there - the incomparable JB, Greavo, Shire, John Ritson, Gareth Williams, Terry Wharton, 'Stick the bloody boot in Arthur'. Nat, Charlie Hurley, Ian Seddon.

I'd post it if Photobucket hadn't gone weird on me.

3 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Ex-Wanderer mate of mine just sent me a photo from the BN. Team photo as they were leaving for a pre-season tour of Germany - I'm sure a few of you will have seen it.

Not sure who we played on that tour? i do remember a pre-season tour of Germany when we played Westfalia Herne and FR Neuss but that may have been later?

A good friend of a few of us on here went on that tour (Herne-Neuss) as his old man was the Club Secretary at the time.

Some great memories and personal heroes on there - the incomparable JB, Greavo, Shire, John Ritson, Gareth Williams, Terry Wharton, 'Stick the bloody boot in Arthur'. Nat, Charlie Hurley, Ian Seddon.

I'd post it if Photobucket hadn't gone weird on me.

Love to see that. Can you email it to me. 

• Members

Happy - uploaded to Gallery under 'Random Images'.

This IT lark is a breeze. How often do you dust the valves?

Only bloke on there I am struggling with is back row extreme left?

Edited by bolty58

24 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Happy - uploaded to Gallery under 'Random Images'.

This IT lark is a breeze. How often do you dust the valves?

Only bloke on there I am struggling with is back row extreme left?

Think the top left was Gareth Williams he was signed to replace franny Lee along with Terry Wharton, before my time but read about it when he died recently. 

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16269958.ex-bolton-cardiff-and-bury-star-williams-dead-at-76/

Edited by Mounts Kipper
Add the link.

• Members
20 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Think the top left was Gareth Williams he was signed to replace franny Lee along with Terry Wharton, before my time but read about it when he died recently. 

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16269958.ex-bolton-cardiff-and-bury-star-williams-dead-at-76/

My memory must be going mate. I thought Gareth Williams was on the other side of Greavo, third from left?

Remember his debut at home to Norwich City. A fucking monsoon and the ball was aquaplaning. Seem to recall he scored and the ball 'skimmed' all the way in like a flat stone on a mill pond. Nice bloke too - had a fair few chats with him in his sports store opposite Th'Owd Pastie Shop.

31 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

My memory must be going mate. I thought Gareth Williams was on the other side of Greavo, third from left?

Remember his debut at home to Norwich City. A fucking monsoon and the ball was aquaplaning. Seem to recall he scored and the ball 'skimmed' all the way in like a flat stone on a mill pond. Nice bloke too - had a fair few chats with him in his sports store opposite Th'Owd Pastie Shop.

Think that might be Ronnie Phillips, another Walkden lad, but can see the similarity. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members
4 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Top left is not a player think its Jim Conway one of the coaching staff.

Williams is stood more in the middle could name them all easily including Mr Oven gloves Alan Boswell.Ronnie Phillips isn't on the picture.

Yep, as I thought. On the other side of Greavo.

Just checked my 'library' & its defo 1970-71 pre-season  ( finished bottom & relegated) Jim Conway is the mystery man .He brought all our young guns through the system ( Paul Jones Garry Jones Stuart Lee Alan Waldron Paul Fletcher plus a few more) but for some reason got the bullet maybe in the aftermath of relegation.

We played SPVGG Bayreuth (0-0)

Celle (2-0)

VFL Osnabruck(2-1) 

So an undefeated German pre-season tour resulted in relegation to Div 3

Edited by Take Hunt Off

2 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

i worked with Gareth Wiliams' son (also called Gareth) for a few years and he used to tell us tales of some of the scrapes his dad got in to

He had talent & a personality too, pity he never made more of his football abilities dont really know why but his career just petered out.Some said it was down to injuries others the bevy (predictably) shame though .

On 14/01/2020 at 15:22, Take Hunt Off said:

He had talent & a personality too, pity he never made more of his football abilities dont really know why but his career just petered out.Some said it was down to injuries others the bevy (predictably) shame though .

He was a PEI at our place, he was 'well in' with a girl who worked for the England FA, tickets were never a problem 🙂