Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Keith Hill

gonzo

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Footballers contract expires. club doesn’t want to renew. player also doesn’t want to tie themselves into a short week by week deal to suit the club and act as cover as he has bills to pay so needs longer term stability for his family

shocker

why is that weird 

The weird bit for me is seeming to have no plan to replace these guys. Obviously we're restricted, but three non left backs at left back surely isn't the answer.

Isn't there a youngster who plays left back that could at least step until ones comes in later in the window.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The weird bit for me is seeming to have no plan to replace these guys. Obviously we're restricted, but three non left backs at left back surely isn't the answer.

Isn't there a youngster who plays left back that could at least step until ones comes in later in the window.

He doesn’t believe half of the players who are in the first team are good enough so doubt he feels plunging another kids deemed even less able to play at that level is the answer. Bunney will when fit be the answer it would appear. 

but if I was Chicksen and they had asked me to stay on week to week until we found someone else or bunney was fit I would have said no and tried to find myself a deal til end of season which evidently we wouldn’t offer him.  Can’t see what anyone is surprised about really. 

3 hours ago, MickyD said:

But if the left back we had was continually galavanting up the wing without much in the way of defending then he's more a left winger or, in old money, an outside left. That's great if the rest of the team is strong enough that you can do that but ours currently aren't close.

That's also true about the right back; Emmanuel looks good going forward but is a dogshit defender - see the first goal last night. He either needs to play right winger or go and start his career in McDonalds.

Chicksen was the only full back worthy of actually playing at full back

Just watched  Lincoln game, none of those 5 goals can be blamed on KH, all individual player errors, from a group of 11 players who have never payed together before

Every Manager in our current position would find it hard to explain a 5-1 drubbing, following on from more humiliation in the previous games

KH has his own ‘style’ of interview technique, he could come out and say ‘yes’ that was absolute shite and I don’t want to discuss it now so see you later

He try’s to take positives out of every situation, probably for his own sanity 

The players he has brought in upto now have been surprisingly good for what we have paid, Bridcutt, Verlinden, Crawford, Chicksen,Emmanuel, Hamilton, ect,  so his judgement on players is sound

It looks to me like FV can’t decide to stick or twist this season and this is causing some instability, we have till the end of January to strengthen the squad, there ar3 still a lot of points to play for, let’s all calm down a bit 

KH needs 12 months to try and steady the ship and turn it round we should give him the benefit of the doubt till then

3 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

The problem I have is - Chicksen is good enough to play in league 2 and be part of a side aiming to be promoted. He probably isn't really a top half of league one player but would do a good job next season. We now patently do not have a LB good enough even for league 2. 

The youngsters are sadly in the main not going to cut it next season. So releasing a player like Chicksen is odd. He may end up getting better or it may be cost reduction. But it is going to create concerns if we get battered most weeks going into next season. Hill hasn't done anything to convince me he can build and organise a side to take us up next season. Its fine to focus on a long term but you have to look at the short term as well. Financially its a disaster if we don't go up next season

I find myself thinking on similar lines 

We all accept that from day one he was handicapped in terms of the players that he could bring into the club , therefore my assessment in largely based on the way that he has organised what he has at his disposal and how that has translated into performances on the pitch. 

I was hoping that we had brought into the club a manager who would run with the "siege mentality " attitude and from a backs to the walls position a team spirit would emerge so that what we lacked in skill individually would be compensated for by honest endeavour. 

He talked the talk from day one of the "Impossible Dream " 

What I have seen is a team that has kept 6 clean sheets all season and are the lowest scorers in the division, and the more I have seen Keith Hill in Interviews the more I find myself questioning whether we have a manager who can bring out the best in what we have or whether we have a maverick on our hands who does not want to take on board the views of others around him such as the academy staff and is not himself a "team player" . 

Don't get me wrong I do make massive allowances for the situation he inherited , but I find myself now wondering whether come the end of the season apart from the emotional trip to Wycombe , the only match I will look back on and say well they all played for the shirt was the 0-0 draw when our youngsters played Coventry, which Hill was not involved with . 

I also wonder whether when we have completed this season even if you then add back the 12 point deduction we started with whether or not we will have sufficient points to have stayed up . 

As for next season life in League 2 might not be the formality some are expecting unless we have the right foundations in place. 

Just before the new year , and with all this talk of a new decade I thought lets have a look at who was in our position a decade ago and how have their fortunes changed over that time. 

Had no idea who it was and thought it might be a Bournemouth or a Burnley which would have cheered me up . 

It was Stockport County , who , like us they had gone into administration in the spring ( of 2009 ) and on the 1st January 2010 they were bottom of league one and were relegated in the May . The following season they finished bottom of league two and fell out the football league altogether and have yet to return. 

That's why I find myself questioning whether Hill is the right man and whether he ought to be given a chance beyond this season because next season the club needs to get its house in order from day one and hit the ground running otherwise I fear we might be tempting fate  and inviting history to repeat itself.  

Given the players we have now who is  contracted for next season? Can only think of the young lads that’s it. That’s my worry how we meant to starting building for next season when we can offer contracts till end of this season. Some of these players won’t be even be arsed because they know they will be going anyway like what’s happened to Chicksen 

• Site Supporter

Reet, I'll do a Keith and "put my head on the block".

If folk don't rate him, who would you like to see come in?

Fwiw, I don't see fv, changing anything, and if they were to, it needs to be now, so the new man has a bit of window to work in.

I'll chuck in Sam Ricketts.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fwiw, I don't see fv, changing anything, and if they were to, it needs to be now, so the new man has a bit of window to work in.

Colin Wanker.

17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's not up to us

If I think my boss is shit at his job, I won't get asked who I think should come in as a replacement

But it shouldn't stop me from saying my boss is shit

He (my boss) isn't isn't even if he's a Liverpool fan and Somerset cricket fan

Edit - meant to add I don't  have anybody lined up but I fear we are stuck with KH and we'll end up with a team embedded with a losing mentality and a rant from the manager not far away 

Edited by DirtySanchez

1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

I'm a big believer in protecting players, that means you dont have a pop at them in pre and post match interviews, if they have a mediocre/bad game, put an arm around them and send them out the next game an hopefully they will respond.

Play your players in their preferred positions, 23 places in a squad means 2 for each position and a couple of them could be flexible and adapt to playing a number of positions as a back up.

What I've seen of Chino Onion Keith so far, is incompetence, contradictory waffle, badly unorganized team set up and tactics, bad team selections and bad substitutions, at first he was doing well, he seemed to be doing the basics and getting the team organised and playing some decent football, we looked a bit soft but we started scoring goals again and I thought it's a work in progress, it was the least I expected.

But since the Accrington debacle he has shown no management skills at all, it was falling apart a bit before Accy tbf. He has had a free ride this year and the fans have been brilliant and patient, my worry is the fans will now tail off and he hasn't got the gumption or know how to get this team playing steady basic football again and to start winning us fans over....all over again!

His post match interview remarks about social media, the living in the past fans and he knows is fucking onions, are gonna come back to haunt him. 

I'd say after Rotherham there was a period where I really believed he knew what he was doing we played good stuff, looked hard to beat and he seemed to know what he wanted to do. Since then he was unlucky with the Crawford injury but his demeanor, comments and decisions have become more and more bizarre. Its worrying in many ways because it could point to a wider problem. Except its exactly the same way he behaved at Rochdale.

The major worry is that even with our best players more or less fit we looked poorly organised and the early performances might now be seen as simply a honeymoon period for players desperate to impress.

The thing that's somewhat tipped me over the edge is his comments on Chicksen then the fact he bemoaned having to play Edwards at left back......

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

I find myself thinking on similar lines 

We all accept that from day one he was handicapped in terms of the players that he could bring into the club , therefore my assessment in largely based on the way that he has organised what he has at his disposal and how that has translated into performances on the pitch. 

I was hoping that we had brought into the club a manager who would run with the "siege mentality " attitude and from a backs to the walls position a team spirit would emerge so that what we lacked in skill individually would be compensated for by honest endeavour. 

He talked the talk from day one of the "Impossible Dream " 

What I have seen is a team that has kept 6 clean sheets all season and are the lowest scorers in the division, and the more I have seen Keith Hill in Interviews the more I find myself questioning whether we have a manager who can bring out the best in what we have or whether we have a maverick on our hands who does not want to take on board the views of others around him such as the academy staff and is not himself a "team player" . 

Don't get me wrong I do make massive allowances for the situation he inherited , but I find myself now wondering whether come the end of the season apart from the emotional trip to Wycombe , the only match I will look back on and say well they all played for the shirt was the 0-0 draw when our youngsters played Coventry, which Hill was not involved with . 

I also wonder whether when we have completed this season even if you then add back the 12 point deduction we started with whether or not we will have sufficient points to have stayed up . 

As for next season life in League 2 might not be the formality some are expecting unless we have the right foundations in place. 

Just before the new year , and with all this talk of a new decade I thought lets have a look at who was in our position a decade ago and how have their fortunes changed over that time. 

Had no idea who it was and thought it might be a Bournemouth or a Burnley which would have cheered me up . 

It was Stockport County , who , like us they had gone into administration in the spring ( of 2009 ) and on the 1st January 2010 they were bottom of league one and were relegated in the May . The following season they finished bottom of league two and fell out the football league altogether and have yet to return. 

That's why I find myself questioning whether Hill is the right man and whether he ought to be given a chance beyond this season because next season the club needs to get its house in order from day one and hit the ground running otherwise I fear we might be tempting fate  and inviting history to repeat itself.  

Fucking hell, BtB, no posts in ages and then a Sluffy-esque monologue. Have you been away planning what to write? :roll::roll:

Warnock could get any job in the Championship, he wouldn't drop to League 2.

Ricketts more realistic but again why leave a stable project at Shrewsbury to drop a division.

Anyway, it's all moot. Hill gets another year for me.

Edited by jmjhb

6 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

He's really not in it for the long term from that point of view so wouldn't suit us at all.

Look at it another way. With this team and lack of organization next season we get relegated probably and then we are fucked       

without wanting to go all stuffy and custard on everyone we have to remember that the money that FV borrowed to  buy us needs repaying in 3 years? If we drop any further than league two we will die I’m pretty sure of it  

anyone to come in steady the ship set us back on a forward trajectory would get my vote. Whether that’s for a year or whatever it is will do for me 

Edited by Escobarp

27 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Being obnoxious , bullying & belittling others has not stopped some managers being successful .....jsl

Worked wonders for Mourinho with De Bruyne and Salah 

Can't see Klopp or Pep going down that route with players

It's an outdated form of management 

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Fucking hell, BtB, no posts in ages and then a Sluffy-esque monologue. Have you been away planning what to write? :roll::roll:

4 posts in 4 days actually ...... I accept it was lengthy - yes , but as there was not  one mention of any of the following - Companies house , Marc Iles ,  the supporters trust or individual board members of the ST   , the FV ownership model , whatever happened to the money that ED loaned to KA and Chris Custodiet it surely cannot be classified as being in any way Sluffy-esque  . 

I'm backing Keith Hill. It's too early for all this.  Patience is required. He could do with his PR man giving him a few lessons about staying in control in front of a microphone and advice when to keep his gob shut, but he's got an impossible job this year. He wants to build a team for the future based on sustainable wages, good scouting and shrewd buys. We've needed that for ages. He's having to do it under an embargo, that's hard. I'll only start getting on his case if we make heavy weather of League 2 and even then he'll probably get 12 months further leeway.

• Site Supporter

I would agree with the sentiments Paul, if it wasn't for his inane ramblings. They're not new; had them since he's been here, put up with them as long as the team's doing well, but they're getting worse, more desperate and critical of anyone but himself- which is reflective of the team's demise.

Something's not right, and it seems he's struggling with it all.