Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Keith Hill

gonzo

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

But as Chicksen wasn't a loan player, was it an option to only have him for 6 months and then look for better alternatives in the summer, or was he wanting something more permanent?

Obviously, we don't know, but I'd hazard a guess that he would have been happy to take 6 months, certainly for now. He had no club earlier, and stated he wanted to stay. I reckon he would have been happy to take what was on offer if there was anything.

3 hours ago, tomski said:

While Hill hasn’t helped himself with recent comments, I feel we are forgetting the team he has are not very good. 

I think it’s unfair to suggest KH let people go through his own choice as it could of been forced upon him, I don’t know as I suspect few do.

As much as I hate the idea of throwing the towel in, I think we can all acknowledge that we have. If any of this shit means we hit the ground running next season then so be it.

I just hope that FV are fully behind KH as if they are unsure I fear the change needs to happen sooner.

A mid season sacking next year would benefit nobody at BWFC in my opinion.

Id rather now take time finding a long term replacement for Chicksen than short term gap filling. We’ve 2 weeks still and next summer in reality.

KH claims its his choice......

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, tomski said:

Well from that sample of 4 anyway

Just as I don't think opinions on wanderersways equates to opinions of every Bolton fan, niether do I think opinions on pompeyways equates to opinions of every Portsmouth fan so it matters not to me if it's four or a hundred and four. Pompeyways talk about Bolton and Keith Hill, I shared it. 

14 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Just as I don't think opinions on wanderersways equates to opinions of every Bolton fan, niether do I think opinions on pompeyways equates to opinions of every Portsmouth fan so it matters not to me if it's four or a hundred and four. Pompeyways talk about Bolton and Keith Hill, I shared it. 

Good stuff

9 hours ago, Ani said:

Do you think Gary O’Neill who clearly expected to sign for us would have been better than what Hill has played this season ? 

Yes he probably would have been better. Although at his age there was never a guarantee that he'd stay fit or that is legs wouldn't go part way through the season. That's always the risk when you sign lads that age. That scepticism is probably why nobody else has signed him since he played for us - perhaps wrongly.

Started to have my doubts about Hill as a team builder when the only players he criticised in public were ones that he hadn't brought in e.g. Zouma and Weir. He should be building players confidence not destroying it. the comment that Lincoln have much better players than us is a prime example.

• 2 weeks later...

I never wanted him in the first place and he's done nowt to change my mind. 

You can claim all you want about having his hands tied and how we should be lucky to have a club and any other stuff along those lines but he's had a group of players here that for the first half of the season were more than capable of getting results. Bizarre tactical decisions, a real lack cohesion and plan have been the main reasons as to why we haven't fulfilled on that capability. Not a lack of talent available to him. 

He had the opportunity going into December and the Christmas period to get a couple of results, go and fight and give us a chance and they blew it. Now it's a lost cause, players aren't even considering us as a viable option, our own players have all but given up and Hill's head has well and truly gone. 

I'm not speaking just for myself because admittedly I didn't have much time for him to begin with but any and all good will that fans had after the start of this season has been erroded and wasted by a shambolic mismanagement of this season and what it could have been. I don't see the point in giving him the rest of this season and the start of next, he's got nothing to build upon, shown no tactical ingenuity, no ability to find and utilise talent, no composure. We're just wasting time on a manager that isnt capable of salvaging this situation to build into next season in League 2. (League 2, disgusting.) 

8 hours ago, Anderson said:

I never wanted him in the first place and he's done nowt to change my mind. 

You can claim all you want about having his hands tied and how we should be lucky to have a club and any other stuff along those lines but he's had a group of players here that for the first half of the season were more than capable of getting results. Bizarre tactical decisions, a real lack cohesion and plan have been the main reasons as to why we haven't fulfilled on that capability. Not a lack of talent available to him. 

He had the opportunity going into December and the Christmas period to get a couple of results, go and fight and give us a chance and they blew it. Now it's a lost cause, players aren't even considering us as a viable option, our own players have all but given up and Hill's head has well and truly gone. 

I'm not speaking just for myself because admittedly I didn't have much time for him to begin with but any and all good will that fans had after the start of this season has been erroded and wasted by a shambolic mismanagement of this season and what it could have been. I don't see the point in giving him the rest of this season and the start of next, he's got nothing to build upon, shown no tactical ingenuity, no ability to find and utilise talent, no composure. We're just wasting time on a manager that isnt capable of salvaging this situation to build into next season in League 2. (League 2, disgusting.) 

I was inclined to give him 10 games next season but you make a good case for not. I’m just still in the 10 game camp next season. 

• Members

The longer this season goes on the more fans are gonna get pissed off with KH and his tactics and at the end of it nothing really changes in terms of what league we’re gonna be in next season. 
The problem is going into a new season with fans annoyed and the dressing room being lost which is a dangerous precedent to set.

I hate to say it but KH does remind me of Coyle, organisation is poor, there is absolutely no plan B, substitutions at times are bizarre and he spouts utter shite in his interviews.

Jury is out for me.

The main reason he got the job in first place was to help bring together the fans with the club after Anderson's reign, all this he's from Bolton & he know's what the fans wants. He's done the complete opposite & created a divide. Wasn't impressed with Flitcroft being his assistant as his track record in this league is fucking awful took Bury down 17/18 season with them only getting 36 in this division when they spent a lot for a club their size.

Edited by Okocha10

I would have been content judging him next season if he hadn't been such a car crash in a season that was essentially a gimme. Could have used this time to build up young players, get his footballing philosophy across, begin the rebuild and show the fans, potential investors and potential signings what we're trying to achieve. Instead he's alienated some of the young players and misused others, lost all sense of a footballing plan, taken us backwards and lost a fairly significant majority of fans in the process. I think any more time given to him is wasted.

• Site Supporter

Just posted the same on t'other thread. Cannot take a chance. Shit start to next season, with Keith's players in gives a new incumbent no room for manoeuvre.

Chop them both now, take some time to sort out a new man- Kenyon's presence is to help with recruitment, so let him do his job.

Need a sense of positivity going into next season, not a sense of trepidation.

Absolutely nothing to loose by doing the deed now. And take your building blocks with you.

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Just posted the same on t'other thread. Cannot take a chance. Shit start to next season, with Keith's players in gives a new incumbent no room for manoeuvre.

Chop them both now, take some time to sort out a new man- Kenyon's presence is to help with recruitment, so let him do his job.

Need a sense of positivity going into next season, not a sense of trepidation.

Absolutely nothing to loose by doing the deed now. And take your building blocks with you.

Don't disagree - the problem is that we're unlikely to find a good manager wanting to take over now - in our current situation. You almost need to build a structure around Hill first them pot him. But he certainly doesn't inspire confidence for next season.

• Site Supporter

Eh?

Build a structure round Hill- like the one he's been moaning about?

Either back him on that front or take the concerns of others' onboard and flirt him.

As for another decent manager; you adopted the same approach last year. Clearly Pep won't be interested, but the concept that there's no one better out there is daft- we might as well all pack it in.

That's the job of FV etc to get the recruitment right. Plenty of examples of much smaller clubs managing perfectly well and building teams with a far better product on show.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Eh?

Build a structure round Hill- like the one he's been moaning about?

Either back him on that front or take the concerns of others' onboard and flirt him.

As for another decent manager; you adopted the same approach last year. Clearly Pep won't be interested, but the concept that there's no one better out there is daft- we might as well all pack it in.

That's the job of FV etc to get the recruitment right. Plenty of examples of much smaller clubs managing perfectly well and building teams with a far better product on show.

I mean that you need a structure and vision before deciding on who the right man is - Hill was appointed pre that being in place - and we can see the issues that has caused.

I'm totally with Hill not being the right man its a question of timing. Someone coming in now has half a season of shite to deal with. April might make more sense. But we'll see.

As for my "same approach" - I think and still think Parky is a very good manager for the level we're at and everything that has happened since confirms that to me - whatever you may think Hill is no upgrade. So my point was sort of proven. I'm all for potting Hill BUT we've appointed in the last decade a lot of managers that didn't work - finding one that does isn't easy and its critical that the structure around them are comfortable with them and the same in return....

With all this moneyball stuff floating around I had a look at some numbers at work this dinner so here's some potentially meaningless stats if I'm remembering them rightly.

KH is a 1.70 ppm manager in L2 based on over 5 season's worth of games.

Over the last 15 L2 seasons 1.70ppm gets automatic promotion in 2 seasons out of the 15.

The average ppm for automatic over the last 15 seasons is around 1.78/9 so you can't really fuck about having 10 games of shite if you want to go straight up.

The embargo etc levels things off re Rochdale and us so KH would have to perform much better than he does on average to get us up from L2 and currently he looks like he couldn't set out an u14s team to get a draw.

Our current recruitment policy looks shit, so put someone in charge who knows what they are doing.

Our team organisation looks shit, so put someone in charge who knows what they're doing.

I suspect the above is a 2-man job and neither of them will be called Hill or Flitcroft. 

FV should be actively looking for suitable candidates to be in place by July1st. 

I’m slowly becoming more anti-Keith mainly due to his absolute bollocks that he seems to chat in most press conferences, honestly how many times do you want to say “methodology”? It just becomes a meaningless David Brent-esque phrase after a while.

At the start of his reign we were playing some nice football and Bridcutt, Verlinden, Crawford were looking good, I was optimistic. 

I think Hill has been unfortunate in that all those players have been unavailable for this reason or that. So I think people are maybe being too harsh on him.

I’m finding it really hard to gauge how we should be doing this season, we have/had some decent players but also a lot of bang average and inexperienced ones.

We desperately need structure to our recruitment but I think that’s a work in progress until summer at least, could even be a struggle until this embargo ends. 

Could do with Keith’s methodology being a bit clearer on the tactics side because it seems like we’ve tried everything and very little has worked.