Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Keith Hill

gonzo

12 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Agree playing someone out of position is a managerial choice. My point is eoin Doyle who you highlighted as the reason you wouldn’t have Gary bowyer didn’t play eoin Doyle out wide. Nor did the other managers who couldn’t get a tune out of him. Sometimes it just clicks 

gary bowyer is a much better football manager than Keith hill and would be a great appointment for us. But it’s irrelevant anyway as we have a manager and until that changes it’s all pointless 

Swindon are more than likely playing to his strengths that's why, Bowyer probably have a different say & style in which he want Doyle to play. What's Gary Bowyer actually done to say his a better football manager than Keith Hill? I thought at first he was good manager but there is nothing to suggest he is, come on he's been sacked at Bradford, Blackpool & Blackburn.

Edited by Okocha10

5 minutes ago, Okocha10 said:

Swindon are more than likely playing to his strengths that's why, Bowyer probably have a different say & style in which he want Doyle to play. What's Gary Bowyer actually done to say his a better football manager than Keith Hill? I thought at first he was good manager but there is nothing to suggest he is, come on he's been sacked at Bradford, Blackpool & Blackburn.

Jose mourhino sacked as well 

it’s the nature of the job. 

hill was sacked at rochdale. Round in circles here agree to disagree 

Just now, Escobarp said:

Jose mourhino sacked as well 

it’s the nature of the job. 

hill was sacked at rochdale. Round in circles here agree to disagree 

Let's see how Hill get's on next season in league two if he's given the chance to pass judgement then whether he's better than Gary Bowyer. I'm not Hill's biggest fan myself but we can only see

I am in a position where i think we have gone backwards and no longer function as a unit. 

That said i can't see him being potted. 

The comments about Faal are expected and he may not be ready however it does beg the question. if we are signing these people and he won't play them.....will the set up work?  We can't play money ball if we don't play folk and give them a chance of increasing their value.

Folk ask about expectations. 99% of folk knew we were going down and its been very clear since Christmas we are screwed....so why not mix it up and try and make a side for next season. 2-1 down why not throw faal on for 15?

Summat I've been wondering about is that FV came in and tried to get some "all in this together" feeling going and do a whole Brand Bolton thing - finance, managerial team, goalkeeping coach, scout and so on all from Bolton. If they got rid of KH after half a season then where would it leave their big plan ? For that reason if nowt else are they not just going to take the relegation everyone in reality expected and keep him on ?

18 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Summat I've been wondering about is that FV came in and tried to get some "all in this together" feeling going and do a whole Brand Bolton thing - finance, managerial team, goalkeeping coach, scout and so on all from Bolton. If they got rid of KH after half a season then where would it leave their big plan ? For that reason if nowt else are they not just going to take the relegation everyone in reality expected and keep him on ?

It's gone mate, that good will and all in it together feeling has been wasted. If they wanted that feeling and the fans patience and trust they should have got Nolan in, Hill is a Boltonian United fan and that pretty much says it all.

2 hours ago, ErnestTurnip said:

I’ve thought the same and I’m intrigued to see what style of ownership FV take on.

I feel like the director of football role  makes the manager job less secure because then there is a structure from above the manager that can stay there long term and we’re not just at the will of whoever is the current head coach.

For that reason I don’t think Hill is any safer just because of his Bolton affiliation. FV will know they will have to change managers at some point in their tenure and there’s only so many Bolton connections that will fit the bill at a certain time.

Sharon seems pretty level headed so I can’t see her making any quick decisions on Hill. End of the season they will review and decide if there’s a better option out there. She also seems an intelligent woman so I don’t think Hills ramblings will impress her.

I personally hope we do sack him (based on current form) but I’m not sure it’s necessary to do it in a rush. I do think he’s had a tough situation to put up with though and that is his only saving grace at the minute. 

Clutching at straws, but Hill got Rochdale promoted from div2 twice & into the play offs twice so he can't be completely useless, plus I don't want us to become a Sunderland type club where no manager is given any time.

I'd give Hill the summer to assemble a squad & a couple of months for them to settle in. I don't expect us to be running away with the league by then but I'd definitely want to see us showing improvement in both organisation & results.

That said, i wouldn't be too upset if he resigned !!

5 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Clutching at straws, but Hill got Rochdale promoted from div2 twice & into the play offs twice so he can't be completely useless, plus I don't want us to become a Sunderland type club where no manager is given any time.

I'd give Hill the summer to assemble a squad & a couple of months for them to settle in. I don't expect us to be running away with the league by then but I'd definitely want to see us showing improvement in both organisation & results.

That said, i wouldn't be too upset if he resigned !!

Pretty much where I’m at, other than your last sentence as I’d be concerned as to whether anyone of a similar calibre and pedigree would be daft enough to take the job on. 

We're down, let's face it. So let's prepare for next season now.

Get these players who are contracted for next season in the team now. Give them opportunities now and by the end of the season, they might have just got used to playing at this level, meaning they should be OK for L2. 

11 hours ago, Traf said:

We're down, let's face it. So let's prepare for next season now.

Get these players who are contracted for next season in the team now. Give them opportunities now and by the end of the season, they might have just got used to playing at this level, meaning they should be OK for L2. 

I agree, folk need to stop having a go at KH. He may have some strange ways that's just his personality but ffs get off his back (not you Traf) and take the pressure off him and let him do his job.

39 minutes ago, Happy Wanderer said:

I agree, folk need to stop having a go at KH. He may have some strange ways that's just his personality but ffs get off his back (not you Traf) and take the pressure off him and let him do his job.

Its a critical time now. If Hill is not up to it we can't afford to wait till half way through next season. The club has to bounce back next season. The pressure on it is huge. My worry is even with a free hit Hill seems to be struggling with pressure....

We cannot possibly afford to languish in League 2, it's absolutely necessary for us to hit the ground running and go up automatically. Anything less than that is a failure and would see us hit some serious financial problems in terms of cash flow I'd imagine, a stadium and infrastructure like ours isn't sustainable at that level.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Happy Wanderer said:

At games the support has been good. Not heard anything against any of the coaching staff, as it should be.

I'm not sure us lot questioning some of his actions really puts that much pressure on him, so long as we leave it here.

I think his recent rant put more pressure on himself.

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

At games the support has been good. Not heard anything against any of the coaching staff, as it should be.

I'm not sure us lot questioning some of his actions really puts that much pressure on him, so long as we leave it here.

I think his recent rant put more pressure on himself.

Correct 

folk want to back the management team but stupid comments in his interviews aren’t helping 

4 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Its a critical time now. If Hill is not up to it we can't afford to wait till half way through next season. The club has to bounce back next season. The pressure on it is huge. My worry is even with a free hit Hill seems to be struggling with pressure....

Surely the embargo still being in place severely limits us next season? Our wage bill wont be in the top 7 so why should the side be?

Personally, I'm hoping for a top half finish next season with promotion the year after. 

2 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Surely the embargo still being in place severely limits us next season? Our wage bill wont be in the top 7 so why should the side be?

Personally, I'm hoping for a top half finish next season with promotion the year after. 

Our wage bill won't be top 7? Sorry it will. Even under embargo and with wage totals tied to revenue we'll easily be in the top 3 in that division in terms of wages. Or should be.

We were promoted from league one in an embargo.

BWFC have spent one season in the bottom division thus far - financially if we can't get out next season its potentially disastrous....

In effect the embargo limits our ability to pay fees for players something that's rare in league 2 anyway. I suspect many of our salaries this season are competitive with over half of this league. Bridcutt, Murphy etc are players who would have been sought after elsewhere. 

12 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Our wage bill won't be top 7? Sorry it will. Even under embargo and with wage totals tied to revenue we'll easily be in the top 3 in that division in terms of wages. Or should be.

We were promoted from league one in an embargo.

BWFC have spent one season in the bottom division thus far - financially if we can't get out next season its potentially disastrous....

In effect the embargo limits our ability to pay fees for players something that's rare in league 2 anyway. I suspect many of our salaries this season are competitive with over half of this league. Bridcutt, Murphy etc are players who would have been sought after elsewhere. 

The wage restriction under the embargo we're currently will be reduced on relegation. It's far more restrictive than ones we've previously been under.

I'd expect Forest will have paid the majority of Daryl Murphy's income this season.

19 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Bridcutt moved on to 14th placed Lincoln so perhaps he isn't as outstanding as some thought.Lincoln are the sort of club some think we should be beating but in reality due to Lincoln having a pre season their players are fitter and keep up a higher work rate than ours over the 90 minutes.

Not outstanding, but head and shoulders above anyone in our squad, just not a centre back.

21 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Bridcutt moved on to 14th placed Lincoln so perhaps he isn't as outstanding as some thought.Lincoln are the sort of club some think we should be beating but in reality due to Lincoln having a pre season their players are fitter and keep up a higher work rate than ours over the 90 minutes.

Lincoln's gaffer probably won't play Bridcutt at centre half.