Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Keith Hill

gonzo

I had doubts about Hill for same reasons as Okocha 10 around how, although there had been a lot of positives about his two spells at Dale, the last one had gone seriously pear shaped. Having said that, I've some sympathy with FV, highly unusual and difficult circumstances to be having to make the appointment in, would excuse them not, by the looks of it, having got it right this time. 

I don't think they'll act before end of season because they're under no pressure to. It's not as if we're a club that needs to pull the trigger a dozen games from the end to stave off a plunge into the bottom 4, we're already gone. It would be good maybe, as has been suggested, to pot Hill now and give someone else that extended pre season to have a good look at things and establish a plan and way of doing things for next season.  Only downside to that is how much he could realistically embed when not that many of those he'd work with over those dozen games will realistically be here beyond May. It's that which makes me think they won't bother rushing.

All it does leave us with, going back to earlier posts above is another miserable trudge through March and April willing another season to end. It's happened three times in the last five now and it's wearying and saps any enthusiasm to make special effort or juggle plans to attend. 

3 minutes ago, Traf said:

The question should never be whether a club can afford to sack someone. It should be can they afford not to.

FWIW, I'm still hoping Hill's appointment was on the same lines as they way we had to assemble a squad in August,

Cheap, available and temporary.

Early January, the loanees went back and he said there's be a change towards planning for the future. two weeks later and we're backing loaning players. Perhaps he was told that this season was as far as he should plan.

Last night, he said he hoped to be given the chance to manage us next season. Perhaps it's not set in stone that he will. 

Still need the cash to do it....

Really torn on this still. Last night has probably confused me more as I think we’d played the best we have in a while but I take it was against a poor team:

pros

KH and DF assembled an impressive squad in my opinion with the timescales they worked in.

When we’ve had a full pick of players to choose from we have won games. 

Ive always liked that BWFC give managers time as I think it’s the right thing to do and bodes well for persuading future managers.

Has a good CV for L2.

Negatives

He spouts some bollocks. A highlight was claiming signing the injured Spurs bloke was good business. 

Some of the displays recently have been utterly pathetic.

He seems to fall out with a lot of people and have a funny way of dealing with players that perhaps strikes of yesteryear management. (Only from the outside, no inside info)

Team selections ie starting O’grady up top on his tod against a poor team last night are criminal. 

Hill came in and plucked a team from nowhere with players we’d never heard of, first game against Rotherham you could immediately see the difference between a team of 11 established players who had a full pre-season training and playing together and our load of unfit strangers, since that  game the whole squad have been playing catch up

After a few games Bridcutt, Crawford, Verlinden and others were starting to look capable of possibly keeping us up, then one by one we lost key players, we never looked a good team but the style of play was exciting and promising but as we sunk to the bare bones of a thin squad results went down hill

Since January KH as tried to rebuild another decent squad with no money and not much incentive for new incoming players and the results of that are what we see now

None of us posting on this forum have experience of managing a League 1 football team but we all think we could have done better than  Hillcroft

Yes KH talks shite most of the time but most managers do the same, if you don’t like his Pre/post match interviews avoid them 

FV need to come out ASAP and back him up and tell the ‘Fans’ he will be here next season, this will take some of the pressure off, people’s expectations for this season and next season will be quantified and fans can make their own minds up what they want to do next

I don't understand why everyone was writing off this season back in August.  

Minus 12 points wasn't a big difference , all we needed to do over the course of a full season was win 4 more games than the team in the last relegation spot. 

His first game at Rotherham,  albeit a team of some strangers , was pathetic , he should have had a game plane or even parked the bus for that first game (two banks of four), he did neither .

When I watch us I have no idea what our tactics are . We are so slow moving the ball, but don't worry all we need to do according to " Mr. Onions" is make sure the players run in the right direction. 

I do all home matches and have done Rotherham,  Lincoln and Doncaster away , I cannot see any future with Hill in charge.

I've been watching us since I was 10, that's 52 years ago,  I cannot remember being so disillusioned with how we play, the style of football.  I've seen some dross in all those years but this is pitiful .

Was that a rant ... perhaps 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Traf said:

I wouldn't imagine that it would cost much to get rid of Hill & Flitcroft.

We can spend nine tenths of fuck all on players wages and fuck all on transfer fees.

Therefore I believe we certainly can afford to get rid. And also look to spend a bit to get the right man in.

If we genuinely can't afford to do that then why is Kenyon here as we're well and truly fucked.

I agree wholly that we might not be able to afford to keep him though; next season crowds may well plummet as the good will will have evaporated.

Keith Hill is a balloon, sometimes they pass through interviews and when they do often they get found out. The rot needs to stop soon, because beginning of season form follows end of season form. If we have a poor start next season, guess where we are heading!! Once that slide starts it is hard to stop. So no from me, for what it's worth, in giving him 10 games next season.

I have stopped listening to his interviews since he said we are 5 years behind in development to Rochdale, for fucks sake. I also hate his handling of young players. The sooner he fucks off the better.

When Rochdale fired him off the team was in freefall, couldn’t buy a win, team selections were nonsense, players regularly played out of position , substitutions bizarre and he kept players  out of team for personal reasons not performance related. Also spouted shite after every game. Sounds familiar  ? He was sinking them fast, not an ideal cv or pedigree for success at a bigger club. The mans a charlatan, simples.

Hill arrived and was given a blank canvas, albeit a very limited one so he isn’t able to blame previous managers or players he inherited.

What he has failed to do is form a team, one that knows each other and has a set way of playing, which is down entirely to him and Flitcroft.

There are 000’s of Hill’s around to pick from and that’s the task for Kenyon and co rather than sticking with this failed plan which is now turning life long supporters away and eroding what is left of this once great clubs reputation. 

1 hour ago, Moon boy said:

Hill came in and plucked a team from nowhere with players we’d never heard of, first game against Rotherham you could immediately see the difference between a team of 11 established players who had a full pre-season training and playing together and our load of unfit strangers, since that  game the whole squad have been playing catch up

After a few games Bridcutt, Crawford, Verlinden and others were starting to look capable of possibly keeping us up, then one by one we lost key players, we never looked a good team but the style of play was exciting and promising but as we sunk to the bare bones of a thin squad results went down hill

Since January KH as tried to rebuild another decent squad with no money and not much incentive for new incoming players and the results of that are what we see now

None of us posting on this forum have experience of managing a League 1 football team but we all think we could have done better than  Hillcroft

Yes KH talks shite most of the time but most managers do the same, if you don’t like his Pre/post match interviews avoid them 

FV need to come out ASAP and back him up and tell the ‘Fans’ he will be here next season, this will take some of the pressure off, people’s expectations for this season and next season will be quantified and fans can make their own minds up what they want to do next

The summer's going to be another rebuild without many resources. If Hill struggles with that - as he has this January then we'll be writing more season's off. 

The problem is that he doesn't inspire any confidence in anyone that he's the man to start the revival and not just because we're awful on the pitch. He doesn't seem terribly bright and brings an attitude that is unnecessary to interviews etc - its not about him being a cliche or anything -  more he seems incredibly arrogant for a man who's only ever been a success at Rochdale and even they sacked him....

3 hours ago, Anderson said:

Why?

It's a project now isn't it, not a survival mission anymore, lets get someone in that's got an actual philosophy and a tactical plan to build upon, let him use the rest of the season to make an impression on the squad and see which players he would like to keep on or convince to stay. Basically an extended preseason to bed in at the club in the hope that it can get fans back onside for next season.

Ok who have you in mind ?

59 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Ok who have you in mind ?

I'm sure there's plenty out there that'd take it on, I'm not hugely familiar with managerial candidates at this level honestly, but that's what the recruitment process is all about. Just because I or any other number of people can't name specifically the perfect candidate doesn't mean we should carry on regardless with Hill, because he's absolutely useless.

For what it's worth though, I wanted Nolan, and I'd still have him now.

5 minutes ago, Anderson said:

I'm sure there's plenty out there that'd take it on, I'm not hugely familiar with managerial candidates at this level honestly, but that's what the recruitment process is all about. Just because I or any other number of people can't name specifically the perfect candidate doesn't mean we should carry on regardless with Hill, because he's absolutely useless.

For what it's worth though, I wanted Nolan, and I'd still have him now.

How about we take David Dunn off Blackpool? 

3 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

Behave

Random ex-premier league midfield player with hardly any managerial experience...just showing a comparison to Nolan. People name him purely because he played here. 

Not saying he won't be good, but he couldn't get the job ahead of KH - probably says more than we'd like to admit. 

3 hours ago, Moon boy said:

First highlighted point is what football fans do. if we can't think this we may as well bin it off. 

Most of us are trying to avoid the interviews etc. in fact i am starting to avoid the matches as well as his tactics are as bad as his interviews. 

The "Fans" do have a right to be unhappy. You can't expect people to come and pay the money when its absolute dross followed by ramblings of an idiot. 

Pretty sure FV wont be doing any potting just yet .The despondency of our impending relegation may need lifting one way or tuther ie an improved run of results ( still possible ) would help or if not a clearout & new regime but probably at the end of the season

I dont think they will dodge the issue of supporter apathy/dissent .

We all need to be up for the fight next season .This will be uppermost in their minds.

Edited by Take Hunt Off

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Random ex-premier league midfield player with hardly any managerial experience...just showing a comparison to Nolan. People name him purely because he played here. 

Not saying he won't be good, but he couldn't get the job ahead of KH - probably says more than we'd like to admit. 

Nolan had a more successful career, learned a lot from BSA and was respected and trusted to help sort out Andy Carol. He's also done reasonably well in his managerial roles so far, and is currently employed coaching the first team for West ham.

A million miles away from your comparison of Dunn - who may himself turn out to be decent.

Nolan would also receive respect from current players who don't seem to have much for Keith.

It's hardly picking a random former player.

As it happens, he probably wouldn't be my preferred choice, but better than the current one. E2E4 makes more sense.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Pretty sure FV wont be doing any potting just yet .The despondency of our impending relegation may need lifting one way or tuther ie an improved run of results ( still possible ) would help or if not a clearout & new regime but probably at the end of the season

I dont think they will dodge the issue of supporter apathy/dissent .

We all need to be up for the fight next season .This will be uppermost in their minds.

Can't argue with that, other than to suggest a new appointment now gets the chance to see what is already available and suitable for next year.

Gives more time to make a proper go of things.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

3 hours ago, Blondi said:

If Hill gets potted, we'll probably end up with someone like Simon Grayson, talking about the Donkey lashers, that other manager they had Mcphillips, he did alright for them, surely an improvement on Hill.

If/when Hill gets sacked, the caretaker manager will for a few weeks will be Flitcroft.  We then win 2 or 3 games, everyone is positive and prefers him to Hill, and he gets the job till the end of that season minimum.  After all he's got decent experience at this level at Swindon and Mansfield.  I like Flitcroft and I'd take him before Nolan etc, but I'd prefer him to be assistant manager.  People wanting to get rid of Hill should bear in mind the likelihood of his assistant replacing him as he has before.