Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Keith Hill

gonzo

4 hours ago, Rizlar said:

As he been sacked or something hes been too quiet I would have expected him to be mouthing off on the BEN about footballing issues.

I think he’s on furlough so I’d assume isn’t allowed to say owt

Its still a bit strange.  He doesnt have to be "working" to have a chat with the BN.  All the interviews printed over the last few weeks arent in an official capacity, they are just people giving their thoughts.  He should be able to offer some sort of comment, even if only to confirm that no work is going on currently and that he is furloughed or whatever.  Marc Iles is (understandably) desperate for interviews of any sort, yet the world's chattiest man who happens to live in Bolton and manage BWFC is unavailable for comment?

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Its still a bit strange.  He doesnt have to be "working" to have a chat with the BN.  All the interviews printed over the last few weeks arent in an official capacity, they are just people giving their thoughts.  He should be able to offer some sort of comment, even if only to confirm that no work is going on currently and that he is furloughed or whatever.  Marc Iles is (understandably) desperate for interviews of any sort, yet the world's chattiest man who happens to live in Bolton and manage BWFC is unavailable for comment?

I think Hill probably knows his days are numbered so little point anyhow. 

33 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I think Hill probably knows his days are numbered so little point anyhow. 

I think you’re probably right, but shouldn’t we wonder why someone who has such a good record at this level has been sooo poor after what was a very promising start?

2 minutes ago, Ros Coe said:

I think you’re probably right, but shouldn’t we wonder why someone who has such a good record at this level has been sooo poor after what was a very promising start?

What good record is this then?

34 minutes ago, Ros Coe said:

His good record is mainly at league 2, BWFC is way too big a club for him. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

44 minutes ago, Ros Coe said:

He’s not got a good record. He’s managed shit teams and achieved very little.

seriously he was shit. It’s only easier now due to Covid and us not having to suffer his team selection anymore

Just looking at hills 2nd stint at rochdale 

Defensively poor his last season they let in 87!

ian Henderson definitely bailed him out with his goals for many seasons and Scott hogan before that. it’s a big worry for me that so many basic defending errors continue to happen and goals conceded seems to be highlighted at dale

I'm not pro-Hill at all, but for a bit of balance, not only did he get Rochdale promoted twice, in their first season in Div 1 (2nd spell, 2014-15) they finished 8th even though they only won 2 of the last 8.  Well on course for play offs until then.  He must have been doing something right even though at times its difficult to see what his plan is for us.  I dont go along with this "BW are too big for him" we arent Man U or Arsenal where you have to have a media profile and have the magnetism to attract big names.  If he can organise a squad of players to win games at Rochdale on their budget in Div 2 and Div 1 he can do it for anyone at that level, its mainly about good recruitment, good communication (dont laugh) and getting a team to play to a plan.  

Win percentages:

Big Sam 39.4%

Parky 36.77%

Chino: 38.3%

Those figures don’t point to him being a shit manager at the level he’s managed at - so why does he now seem a very shit manager?

i don’t recall hearing too many objectors at the time of his appointment so why now blessed with hindsight do we all think he’s not up to it?

15 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

And he evidently does not coach a team defend properly. Basic requirement

Phil Parkinson tried organising this season's load of shite and resigned 4 matches in after they'd shipped in 5 at Rochdale and 5 at Tranmere. 

JImmy Phillips then had a go at managing them and shipped in 5 against Ipswich and 5 against Gillingham

Think the problem is more BWFC having a lot of poor footballers and not having a  pot to piss  in than Hill being a bad manager 

• Moderators

Parkinson and phillips didnt have the players hill had

I think he will probably go, but i keep coming back to the january transfer dealings

Definitely weakened us - was that his choice, who knows

54 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Phil Parkinson tried organising this season's load of shite and resigned 4 matches in after they'd shipped in 5 at Rochdale and 5 at Tranmere. 

JImmy Phillips then had a go at managing them and shipped in 5 against Ipswich and 5 against Gillingham

Think the problem is more BWFC having a lot of poor footballers and not having a  pot to piss  in than Hill being a bad manager 

Parky played the kids, Hill over Xmas and new year was utterly clueless, he’s proven crap at Barnsley, crap at the end of his Rochdale career and crap would be too kind a word for is Bolton tenure.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

6 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Parky played the kids, Hill over Xmas and new year was utterly clueless, he’s proven crap at Barnsley, crap at the end of his Rochdale career and crap would be too kind a word for is Bolton tenure.

There was stuff going on over January behind the scenes that undoubtedly made Hills job harder.i know he doesnt help himself at times and we were utter shit after xmas but i honestly think any manager would have struggled with the players we have at the moment. 

2 hours ago, snowball said:

There was stuff going on over January behind the scenes that undoubtedly made Hills job harder.i know he doesnt help himself at times and we were utter shit after xmas but i honestly think any manager would have struggled with the players we have at the moment. 

I’m sure there were lots of things going on but he’s hardly a calm and rational thinker, Parkinson would have kept a calm head steered the team through it and kept us up. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

I’m inclined to agree that parky would have done a job but sadly I think money has meant that parky moved on, I reckon he’s on way more than Keith hence he’s got the sunlan gig, if we can finish mid table this season then I’ll be happy.

he knows his way round this league so we’ll be reet.

meantime we can steady the ship, get the car park developments going and ready the club for prospective buyers with a vision. (Probably wearing rosy tinted glasses😊)

Edited by Ruba Mustafa
Spello