Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Keith Hill

gonzo

• Moderators

Looking at the comments I think the club and the fans have all got the management choices wrong.

we didnt want megson and he turned out one of the best appointment

We didnt have many arguments with Hill, coyle and Lennon and they all got us relegated.

So it really doesnt matter who we get, its all about “right place, right time”

1 hour ago, Horwich said:

Looking at the comments I think the club and the fans have all got the management choices wrong.

We didnt have many arguments with Hill, coyle and Lennon and they all got us relegated.

Spot on

1 hour ago, Horwich said:

And more importantly a "Lorra Lorra Luck!"

16 hours ago, Moon boy said:

286 days in charge during the biggest shit storm this club has ever faced don’t think FV can hold their heads up and say they’ve been fare and reasonable

Unless the new Gartside can stop the rot FV could be next

alright Keith, have a snickers...

3 hours ago, Horwich said:

You lost me when you described Megson as a best appointment 

4 hours ago, Horwich said:

I'd agree that "right place, right time "  plays a large part in a manager's record, & that the tactics/methods that can bring success at one club can fail miserably at another with another group of players, backroom staff & impatient fans.

In recent years Gary Rowett, Paul Hurst & Nathan Jones have all been highly rated for their work at one club but have failed when they have moved on.

As hopeless as Hill was for us, it's worth remembering that overall he did a good job at Rochdale &  closer to home, 2 of our most successful managers, Rioch & Fathead never came close to repeating what they achieved at Bolton after leaving us.

7 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

As hopeless as Hill was for us, it's worth remembering that overall he did a good job at Rochdale &  closer to home, 2 of our most successful managers, Rioch & Fathead never came close to repeating what they achieved at Bolton after leaving us.

Sam got West Ham promoted and established in the Premier League more comfortably than he did at Bolton

At Bolton he won the play offs then finished 5th bottom and 4th bottom, at West Ham he won the play offs and then finished 10th and 13th

58 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Sam got West Ham promoted and established in the Premier League more comfortably than he did at Bolton

At Bolton he won the play offs then finished 5th bottom and 4th bottom, at West Ham he won the play offs and then finished 10th and 13th

Sam did not get wet ham into Europe

59 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

West Ham scraped up via the play offs with the biggest budget in the league, spent loads including £15 Million pissed away on Andy Carroll to achieve a mid/lower league position, Fathead was hated by the fans & finally sacked.

I'd say that was a long way down from repeating what was achieved at Bolton, on a smaller budget & smaller crowds.

We are back to where we started 30 years ago, not sure really we have a great choice, or Can really attract people that are in jobs elsewhere.

we can’t afford to pay contracts out, so they need to be unemployed.  Albeit, I think we are a bigger pull than some, but not sure we can be choosy.

dont think we will be over whelmed who ever it is

2 hours ago, marple whites said:

We are back to where we started 30 years ago, not sure really we have a great choice, or Can really attract people that are in jobs elsewhere.

we can’t afford to pay contracts out, so they need to be unemployed.  Albeit, I think we are a bigger pull than some, but not sure we can be choosy.

dont think we will be over whelmed who ever it is

Silver lining is loads of other clubs are going to be fucked financially with no match day revenue. 

Might level the playing field a little bit next season. 

• Site Supporter

I'm with Stevie on  this. Unless Aunty Sharon has got some more funding (young Gartside or maybe Peter Kenyon) I think it will come down to the fact that FV have done what they said they would do. For me they are still talking a good game and may be able to persuade a better class of manager to give us a go.

16 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Sam never finished higher in the league than he did with us but don't let facts get in your way 

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That's not what he's saying though.

No what i think hes saying and what i would is that he did a good job everywhere he went but that the other clubs had bigger (unrealistic?) expectations and he will never be loved and appreciated more than at Bolton. 

With a few exceptions on here of course.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, snowball said:

No what i think hes saying and what i would is that he did a good job everywhere he went but that the other clubs had bigger (unrealistic?) expectations and he will never be loved and appreciated more than at Bolton. 

With a few exceptions on here of course.

Sam seemed to rub up some of the football hierarchy and it never seemed likely that he would get a top club. The England fiasco finished that once and for all.

In a way, it would have been good to see what he could have done, instead of fire fighting.

His success at West Ham wasn't appreciated, decent position in the top league after promotion was a good foundation, just as he did with us. Then he was flirted.

Water under the bridge now, can't see BSA managing again to be honest.

Why are people reluctant to say Sam did a good job at West Ham?

Rafa Benitez is a top manager and after gaining promotion with Newcastle he finished 10th and 13th in the first  two seasons back, exactly the same two positions as Sam at West Ham.

Good managers doing good jobs at similar sized clubs