Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion
gonzo

Keith Hill

I thought we'd made a fair bit out of selling Holding and Clough. £5m?

The problem with academy graduates, etc. atm is that we got rid of most of our u-23s at the end of last season. 2 years ago the u23s were a handy team. So we are a bit short of players at that level. I don't think we give players long enough post academy.

10 hours ago, passmosster said:

I thought we'd made a fair bit out of selling Holding and Clough. £5m?

The problem with academy graduates, etc. atm is that we got rid of most of our u-23s at the end of last season. 2 years ago the u23s were a handy team. So we are a bit short of players at that level. I don't think we give players long enough post academy.

There was no point making money from player sales when the cunt at the top was able to pocket the profits. 

These decent U23's we had/have - if we put them on a professional contract, I presume they count towards our 23 players under this embargo therefore the only ones worth putting on a pro contract are the ones good enough for 1st team now? A gamble we have to take until next summer is keeping these kids on development deals and hope they don't perform too well before next May otherwise they're off

17 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Surely someone at the club can see even at 16 that the lads a talent, should of signed him long term before we played him in in the first team. Think it’s likely we won’t see him in the white shirt again, never mind we move on. 

I think you can tell talented players but predicting development is not easy - loads of players look good or exceptional at 16/17 but by the time they're 19/20 have fallen away. Especially at our level. A lad like Darcy you'd have questions about his physicality and ability to step up. Even say Clough who burst onto the scene and looked an absolute star has fallen away seriously  since then and whilst he had a pro contract and got a big money move - imagine signing a few like that up on decent deals only for them to not really make it. 

14 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I think you can tell talented players but predicting development is not easy - loads of players look good or exceptional at 16/17 but by the time they're 19/20 have fallen away. Especially at our level. A lad like Darcy you'd have questions about his physicality and ability to step up. Even say Clough who burst onto the scene and looked an absolute star has fallen away seriously  since then and whilst he had a pro contract and got a big money move - imagine signing a few like that up on decent deals only for them to not really make it. 

I hear you but what do you suggest alternatively? It’s the only option we have from what I can see.

I think if Ken hadn’t forced Clough out it would of been very different for what it’s worth.

1 minute ago, tomski said:

I hear you but what do you suggest alternatively? It’s the only option we have from what I can see.

I think if Ken hadn’t forced Clough out it would of been very different for what it’s worth.

I suggest the alternative is, assuming we keep the academy, and based on being in lower leagues that we get kids involved in the first team quicker to assess their potential and after a while if convinced offer them suitable deals. We're going to win some and lose some as is the case down here. 

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I suggest the alternative is, assuming we keep the academy, and based on being in lower leagues that we get kids involved in the first team quicker to assess their potential and after a while if convinced offer them suitable deals. We're going to win some and lose some as is the case down here. 

I’d suggest we’d lose more than we win. We have had terrible owners. I don’t think it means we should give up long term planning consistently.