Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Keith Hill

gonzo

3 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Couldn't agree more, how confused must the players be after being sent out on fucking riddles? the one line that broke the camels back for me was "I think you can organise and plan a successful relegation" what the fuck does that say to the owners, the man needs psychiatric help, he's a nutcase and there is no doubt about it.

To be fair, that's actually one of the few sensible things he's said. I think the owners are now probably on the same page.

We aren't having anything like a successful relegation on the pitch but it's something we should be aiming for now that we're down.

1 hour ago, Farnywhite said:

did they ever say how long a contract Hill was given when he took the job ?

Been asking this question myself, normally they provide how long he's signed up for when he first joined but they haven't noted anything. Guessing he's on a rolling contract like Parkinson was

15 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Couldn't agree more, how confused must the players be after being sent out on fucking riddles? the one line that broke the camels back for me was "I think you can organise and plan a successful relegation" what the fuck does that say to the owners, the man needs psychiatric help, he's a nutcase and there is no doubt about it.

I mean you can. We could have gone down with fight, spirit and showing form to give everyone confidence that we'd come back. Lets say for example we got a further points deduction so by November time everyone knew we were down. But we went on a great run won some games, showed fight, showed the management knew how to get results, and for a brief moment gave everyone hope we might do the impossible. But went down still. That would be a "successful relegation" in the circumstances.

However, what he's presiding over is a mess - a morale sapping, supporter disillusioning mess.  

8 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

To be fair, that's actually one of the few sensible things he's said. I think the owners are now probably on the same page.

We aren't having anything like a successful relegation on the pitch but it's something we should be aiming for now that we're down.

I could understand it if we were seeing some rays of hope, but we're not, we're going backwards at an alarming rate, and I see no signs of improvement, granted the second half at Blackpool was OK, but they were crap on the night, and yet still found a way to beat us.

7 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

I could understand it if we were seeing some rays of hope, but we're not, we're going backwards at an alarming rate, and I see no signs of improvement, granted the second half at Blackpool was OK, but they were crap on the night, and yet still found a way to beat us.

No I know we aren't, but it's fair enough for him to say we can.

4 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

No I know we aren't, but it's fair enough for him to say we can.

No it's not, if we were finishing with a flourish then yes fair enough, but we're sleep walking to relegation, so in my eyes it's a ridiculous comment to make, along with hundreds of other ridiculous comments.

13 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

No it's not, if we were finishing with a flourish then yes fair enough, but we're sleep walking to relegation, so in my eyes it's a ridiculous comment to make, along with hundreds of other ridiculous comments.

Eh?

He's not saying we're having a successful relegation, just that we can. It isn't looking likely but it's not a ridiculous thing to say in itself.

He means well with what he says, he’s just bad at saying it. The poor results have intensified the scrutiny on his words though.

Unfortunately for Keith, communication is a vital part of being a manager and if he can’t say the right things to keep the fans happy, then it doesn’t fill me with confidence that the players are buying into what he says, whether that’s tactics, motivation or both.

I wonder if FV/Tobias will be looking to gauge from the players how they feel about him. 

I'd be massively surprised if he gets sacked before the end of whatever contract he's on  (assume end of this season at  least)  purely because we've not got any money to employ a replacement.

We need to face facts - Hill has got a massive job on his hands. We've got a poor squad, and the U23 team backing them up are having a mare (have you see the U23 table, we are bottom by a mile. 4 points from 19 matches, -49 goal difference)

A couple of weeks ago I watched our U23's with Alexander, Brockbank, Bunney, Delaney, Senior, Mellis all as starters get smashed 3 nil by a Wigan team of mainly 18yr olds with 2 senior caps between them.

the road is long.......

• Site Supporter
41 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

I'd be massively surprised if he gets sacked before the end of whatever contract he's on  (assume end of this season at  least)  purely because we've not got any money to employ a replacement.

We need to face facts - Hill has got a massive job on his hands. We've got a poor squad, and the U23 team backing them up are having a mare (have you see the U23 table, we are bottom by a mile. 4 points from 19 matches, -49 goal difference)

A couple of weeks ago I watched our U23's with Alexander, Brockbank, Bunney, Delaney, Senior, Mellis all as starters get smashed 3 nil by a Wigan team of mainly 18yr olds with 2 senior caps between them.

the road is long.......

Who says we've no money to employ a replacement?

We can't spend anything much on players next year, so if we're unable to employ a replacement, then the manager is the least of our problems- we'll be having a supermarket in the north stand.

10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

We can't spend anything much on players next year, so if we're unable to employ a replacement, then the manager is the least of our problems- we'll be having a supermarket in the north stand.

Correct it’s only restrictions on the playing squad 

1 hour ago, peelyfeet said:

the road is long.......

This is the problem we are aclu b which is used to losing at all levels us as fans are expecting to lose week in week out something as to be done and if replacing the whole management structure from under 23s to the first team then it must be done. We have had to put up with this for years now and if the owners want to keep the fans onside then action must be taken.

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A reliable source has told me the purse strings are extremely tight.

I don't know how true this is or not, but the source is reliable.

What I know for a fact is that the academy boys at most ages are training less frequently and for a shorter duration than they did 2 years ago, and less than their counterparts, and some sessions are being run by 1 coach to 30 players (should be 1-10). 

So we either don't care about the academy as much as we used to, or we've had to prioritise cash, which has meant we currently can't afford to pay part-time coaches wages for a few hours a week. I suspect it's the latter.

Not having a go at the owners, I think they're doing as good as can be expected so far

14 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Correct it’s only restrictions on the playing squad 

29 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

What I meant was,  to sack Hill now, presumably we'd have to pay off his and Flitcroft's contracts, however long they are, and pay someone else until the end of the season.

As we are almost 99.9% relegated, and even if the owners did want to get rid of them, wouldn't it make financial sense to do this at the end of the season - a new manager can't sign anyone yet and wouldn't be able to keep us up, so what would be the point?

• Site Supporter

To determine who is worth keeping or trying to keep next season.

And to keep fans on board and hopefully retain season ticket holders.

May risk more financially keeping him.

I don't expect them to be chucking money around, but is things are really that tight, then it brings into question just what kenyon and the new fella are here for. No room for manoeuvre.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

11 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Yes, in the summer of 2000 we sold Jensen for £4 million, Gudjohnsen for £4 million and a few weeks into the season sold Fish for 700K.The club appeared to be screwed financially but still allowed Sam to spend £1.5 million on Frandsen and 400K on Michael Ricketts.

Sam was such a great manager he gained promotion in a season the club made around £7 million profit from selling 3 of its best players

That's reminded me of one of the worst sites in football - a Bolton legend in a Blackburn shirt.  It just didnt look right when Frandsen played (poorly) for them, to be followed by McAteer and Djorkaeff.  Just not right in so many ways.  Not to mention SKD, Blake, Diouff and Spearing.  I like to think they all did rock all for Roooovvvverrrrs on purpose and only went there to take some money out of the club.

3 hours ago, peelyfeet said:

A reliable source has told me the purse strings are extremely tight.

I don't know how true this is or not, but the source is reliable.

What I know for a fact is that the academy boys at most ages are training less frequently and for a shorter duration than they did 2 years ago, and less than their counterparts, and some sessions are being run by 1 coach to 30 players (should be 1-10). 

So we either don't care about the academy as much as we used to, or we've had to prioritise cash, which has meant we currently can't afford to pay part-time coaches wages for a few hours a week. I suspect it's the latter.

Not having a go at the owners, I think they're doing as good as can be expected so far

If money was that tight that they would of shut the upper tier must be costing more than a couple of part time coaches for a few hours a week 

10 hours ago, Okocha10 said:

On what basis should we keep Keith Hill next season, there's fucking none that he should be here. Has he improved the squad for next season? No, has he improved the relationship with the fans? No. Does his transfer dealings this January look like he could help improve the squad in the summer? No. Has any of youth players improved since Keiths arrived? Could argue no again with how Politic is recently playing & Darcy looked a good prospect before he arrived. 

I'm no Hill supporter but your argument doesnt hold up on most counts.  Its arguable whether he's improved the squad, I think he has, but its not black and white.  And if you mean improved it from having Verlinden and Bridcutt, that was taken out of his hands, how could he realistically get better than those?  Erm...embargo, etc.  Its amazing he didnt attract championship players to play for a team 15 or 20 points adrift from safety, paying £2k a week max.  Only my opinion but yes I think his January transfer dealings show promise, the likes of Nsiala, Fleming and Bryan are decent.  Hamilton up and down but easy to see what he could offer and a potential for Div 2 next season.  Have any youth players improved?  Yes - Darcy is now a nailed on first teamer, he could have easily been left in the U23s for another season.  And Politic is getting to be a guaranteed pick whether he plays well or not, which recognises that he's a special player at this level.  

10 hours ago, Anderson said:

Nah Flitcroft would be gone as well for me, peas in a pod those two. 

Either give it the manager you intend to be in charge next season as well or give it to Lee or Phillips until the summer, get some of the young lads back in and get us playing some football at least. 

There will be many more managers available in the summer than now.  Teams will get relegated or miss out on promotion with decent managers (Ainsworth at Wycombe?; whoever the Crewe and Port Vale managers are) and will feel a change is necessary, and others will fancy a new challenge at a bigger club (Ricketts at Shrewsbury, Coleman at Accy?).  Now is a bad time to change managers, see how the land lies in May.

29 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

There will be many more managers available in the summer than now.  Teams will get relegated or miss out on promotion with decent managers (Ainsworth at Wycombe?; whoever the Crewe and Port Vale managers are) and will feel a change is necessary, and others will fancy a new challenge at a bigger club (Ricketts at Shrewsbury, Coleman at Accy?).  Now is a bad time to change managers, see how the land lies in May.

Sensible 👍

37 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Don't know why you think it will necessarily be better waiting until May? A couple of decent managers that are currently available and won't have a problem getting fixed up shortly are Paul Tisdale and Paul Hurst, no worse than Ainsworth or Coleman you just mentioned.