Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Keith Hill

gonzo

KH needs to keep the fans onside, if he loses us then the writing really will be on the wall. He also needs to reign things in with his tiresome interviews & stop criticising his players in public. KH’s PR skills are a car crash if truth be known.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

44 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I would agree with the sentiments Paul, if it wasn't for his inane ramblings. They're not new; had them since he's been here, put up with them as long as the team's doing well, but they're getting worse, more desperate and critical of anyone but himself- which is reflective of the team's demise.

Something's not right, and it seems he's struggling with it all.

There's probably a bit more patience around than he realises. He's no doubt feeling the pressure of his home town club and the biggest club he's managed in his career. Someone needs to have a word and tell him to settle down to planning for next season. That's when he'll start being judged.

Fundamentally disagree with that, he has to be judged in the first place on what he does this season. That doesn't mean results, it could be building a squad, building systems, getting plans in place but no-one should get any of this free hit bollocks. Mon's getting paid a good 6 figure salary and needs to do things now to justify it, the club  and fans deserve that much at least.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Fundamentally disagree with that, he has to be judged in the first place on what he does this season. That doesn't mean results, it could be building a squad, building systems, getting plans in place but no-one should get any of this free hit bollocks. Mon's getting paid a good 6 figure salary and needs to do things now to justify it, the club  and fans deserve that much at least.

Fair point.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I would agree with the sentiments Paul, if it wasn't for his inane ramblings. They're not new; had them since he's been here, put up with them as long as the team's doing well, but they're getting worse, more desperate and critical of anyone but himself- which is reflective of the team's demise.

Something's not right, and it seems he's struggling with it all.

I think it was on here, just after he was appointed that I read a Rochdale fansaying that we could expect some bizarre stuff in press conferences and post match interviews, but nonetheless he'd been a fantastic manager for them.

i think he's very passionate and the qualities that have helped him do a good job under very testing circumstances are also liable to make him a bit random on some of the stuff he says.

i like him nonetheless.

3 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I'm backing Keith Hill. It's too early for all this.  Patience is required. He could do with his PR man giving him a few lessons about staying in control in front of a microphone and advice when to keep his gob shut, but he's got an impossible job this year. He wants to build a team for the future based on sustainable wages, good scouting and shrewd buys. We've needed that for ages. He's having to do it under an embargo, that's hard. I'll only start getting on his case if we make heavy weather of League 2 and even then he'll probably get 12 months further leeway.

Problem is three left backs last night none of which were left backs 

Lincoln walking through our midfield at will 

Publicly slating players

His rants 

There seems no management skills going on or knowing what to do

Yes it's a shit state of affairs and we can't sign the players we would like but I still think we don't have a squad that should be shipping five, six or seven goals in single matches which we have done under him 

Edited by DirtySanchez

• Site Supporter

Confusion

BWFCs position at the moment is as confusing as one of Keith Hills recent interviews. 

Some context, clarity and perspective is needed. I know some folks are unhappy with the point of view of let’s just be happy we have a club and let’s support Keith irrespective. But I’m still in this camp... just... but I could easily change....I said at the beginning of the season, this season is a free hit. I expected lots of downs and not many ups. The ups came surprisingly early with good recruitment, attacking football, improved performances and better results. Just as important for me the feel good factor came back and both Hill and Flicker prioritised the community and grassroots football (and there’s plenty of good stuff going on here linking with BBDFL and other local junior leagues and local schools) 

But I can’t deny his last couple of interviews have been bizarre. And results have taken a turn for the worst. Is he covering up restrictions and limitations (the clubs and his)?  I genuinely don’t have a clue whether the recent comings and more  importantly goings in the transfer market have been enforced upon him through finance rather than by choice - I think this is important before I ditch my faith in him. With all the known restrictions of embargo’s and salary caps and having been on the point of extinction, it still makes it an unbelievably hard job for anybody. 

He gets my support and backing for the time being...

9 hours ago, DirtySanchez said:

Problem is three left backs last night none of which were left backs 

Lincoln walking through our midfield at will 

Publicly slating players

His rants 

There seems no management skills going on or knowing what to do

Yes it's a shit state of affairs and we can't sign the players we would like but I still think we don't have a squad that should be shipping five, six or seven goals in single matches which we have done under him 

I agree but so far he's had two days of the Summer transfer window in which he had to sign a number of players who'd barely even had a suitable pre-season and he's had 15 of this. We're in a very big state of flux - not least fans having to readjust to a very different style of football club. It takes time - as you say I just wish we didn't have to stomach the heavy defeats. The derby defeats are the most difficult to take. 

4 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I agree but so far he's had two days of the Summer transfer window in which he had to sign a number of players who'd barely even had a suitable pre-season and he's had 15 of this. We're in a very big state of flux - not least fans having to readjust to a very different style of football club. It takes time - as you say I just wish we didn't have to stomach the heavy defeats. The derby defeats are the most difficult to take. 

Do you think Gary O’Neill who clearly expected to sign for us would have been better than what Hill has played this season ? 

2 hours ago, Ani said:

Do you think Gary O’Neill who clearly expected to sign for us would have been better than what Hill has played this season ? 

100% we would be better with him that without. 

Surely he would have signed £2k a week instead of 0 per week. 

KH is picking the signings etc. he had 2 days but i doubt it actually hadn't been planned before hand.

He said Chicksen isnt the right move. He wasn't the worst player we had and looked reasonable especially for league 2. He is 28. letting him go is baffling. surely we could have signed him on for next season as well. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adam-chicksen/profil/spieler/67214

if there is better available in the market for the same money its very weird they are not here. 

I suspect there is more to the  Chicksen  story than we know, was it KH or FV who made the decision 

FV are not going to throw what little budget the have at a failed attempt to stay up if it means we have no money to start again for L2

Its a big gamble at this moment in the season, to stay up would be a miracle, should FV throw money at it or accept our fate and plan for next season 

13 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

I suspect there is more to the  Chicksen  story than we know, was it KH or FV who made the decision 

FV are not going to throw what little budget the have at a failed attempt to stay up if it means we have no money to start again for L2

Its a big gamble at this moment in the season, to stay up would be a miracle, should FV throw money at it or accept our fate and plan for next season 

There was a time before Christmas, where we would’ve been just a few points from safety, had we also taken full advantages of games in hand. 

I’ve now most definitely accepted relegation, and you can throw the suspended points at us now as far as I’m concerned.

Is our awful run of 1 win in 8 a case of us playing with a side short of match fitness, as we started behind everyone, and perhaps it’s taken it’s toll? Is it a problem with management or higher up?

Also, when we let Earl go, I presumed it might’ve been a case of KH not wanting to keep him as he wasn’t his signing. Which again raises a question mark over Chicksen’s release.

7 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I'm not quite sure why we had to stomach the 7-1 defeat to Accrington Stanley?

46 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

If FV havent got the money now why would anyone expect them to have it in the summer? In a league lower with reduced income presumably?

Just would like to know if these players like Earl, Wright, Chicksen etc have been released by Hill for football reasons or FV for financial ones? No blame game just help folk understand the situation.

While Hill hasn’t helped himself with recent comments, I feel we are forgetting the team he has are not very good. 

I think it’s unfair to suggest KH let people go through his own choice as it could of been forced upon him, I don’t know as I suspect few do.

As much as I hate the idea of throwing the towel in, I think we can all acknowledge that we have. If any of this shit means we hit the ground running next season then so be it.

I just hope that FV are fully behind KH as if they are unsure I fear the change needs to happen sooner.

A mid season sacking next year would benefit nobody at BWFC in my opinion.

Id rather now take time finding a long term replacement for Chicksen than short term gap filling. We’ve 2 weeks still and next summer in reality.

Letting Chicksen a guy without a club go because he wasnt a long term solution then signing someone on loan from Hull! Makes no sense unless Chicksen was simply not good enough. From whai id seen i wouldnt agree with that. If we dont have a bit more clarity theres no chance of us all being on the same page. 

18 minutes ago, snowball said:

Letting Chicksen a guy without a club go because he wasnt a long term solution then signing someone on loan from Hull! Makes no sense unless Chicksen was simply not good enough. From whai id seen i wouldnt agree with that. If we dont have a bit more clarity theres no chance of us all being on the same page. 

But as Chicksen wasn't a loan player, was it an option to only have him for 6 months and then look for better alternatives in the summer, or was he wanting something more permanent?