Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Portsmouth (H)

globaldiver

1 hour ago, ianofcleveleys said:

I didn't enjoy their 90 mins worth of shithousery or how it was allowed by another set of piss weak officials.

I did enjoy though the 90 minutes of courageous, spirited effort I saw from all of those in a white shirt. Impressed that a side with so many young uns in it weren't bullied out of it and kept on showing, taking people on and getting stuck in.

All three new signings did well. A lot been said about the rights and wrongs of who was let go, who was signed and why, some of which by KH that seemed confusing and contradictory, all I saw was they looked like good solid additions. 

We were unlucky and should have got at least a point. Some of our play when we nicked the ball and broke on them was great to watch. Darcy's ability to find space and use it is top level. Dennis's best game for us though he needs to see people in better positions and play them in now and again. Edwards a good young defender, tough lad to try and carry on after that injury, though hampered a bit by it I think when trying to defend the ball in for the goal

Goal was a poor one, great ball in but Matthews should have done better and pushed it further wide. Too much of a mixed bag for me, Matthews, a worldy or two now and then but doesn't command six yard box and too many getting through he should deal with. 

Don't often enjoy defeats, and was angry coming away about those lads being hard done by, but otherwise a lot to like today

Agree with every word. Darcy is getting better every week and if Edwards can stay injury free for a run of games then I’d fancy him to become a first choice player.

I do think we look much better going forward without Daryl Murphy, with a lot more emphasis on playing it on the deck and with a bit more zip out wide rather than going high and central. Weird really as I think Murphy plays better receiving the ball at his feet rather than trying to win flick ons. You’d have to fancy he’d be sharper than O’Grady to react to Dodoo’s header though as well as maybe get on the odd of the odd couple of loose balls we had in the area on the back of corners. 

14 minutes ago, desperado said:

Crikey I'd loved to have seen your view on JJ after his first couple of games

There are exceptions!  You can add Anelka to that, he was terrible until that goal v Arsenal.  But players at this level dont have the luxury of settling in for 2 months and relying on their previous reputation.  2 bad games and you dont see them again (Weir for eg), your short term contract isnt renewed, simple as that.  Players who base their game on being able to do the extraoadinary, like JJ, can afford to have 5 bad games before they beat 3 men and smash a 30 yarder in the top corner.

• Site Supporter

I thought we were not up to much in the first half but had the upper hand in the second. I would have fancied DM for a goal today, they didn't look much in defence apart from everybody getting behind the ball.

A decent performance all in all. Still shot-shy mind.

Pompeys rendition of something I can't quite remember while we had a man down which went on for ages made me smile.

28 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm not trying to criticise Fleming, no obvious flaws apart from possibly pace and height, I just thought Chicksen looked better in most aspects.  Which parts of his game would you rate Fleming better?

I thought he was very solid today. Tackled very well, and showed he knew when to show his man inside to a crowded area and when to isolate him by the byline and tackle. Very little came for Pompey down that side. And overall it’s one of our best defensive performances of the season.
Linked up well with Darcy too.

I didn’t rate Chicksen massively but had nothing against him; I just believe that, on today’s showing only of course, we have a better LB now

1 minute ago, Francis Fogarty said:

I thought we were not up to much in the first half but had the upper hand in the second. I would have fancied DM for a goal today, they didn't look much in defence apart from everybody getting behind the ball.

A decent performance all in all. Still shot-shy mind.

Pompeys rendition of something I can't quite remember while we had a man down which went on for ages made me smile.

Made sense when Lincoln were singing the dam busters theme on Tuesday but fuck knows why Pompey were singing it for ages today given they’re a naval town rather than RAF. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

There are exceptions!  You can add Anelka to that, he was terrible until that goal v Arsenal.  But players at this level dont have the luxury of settling in for 2 months and relying on their previous reputation.  2 bad games and you dont see them again (Weir for eg), your short term contract isnt renewed, simple as that.  Players who base their game on being able to do the extraoadinary, like JJ, can afford to have 5 bad games before they beat 3 men and smash a 30 yarder in the top corner.

Anelka! - Where’s Yatesy when you need him! For those who were knocking around 10 years plus or before will know what I mean. Be careful in writing players off after one or two appearances 😉

17 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

1846 Portsmouth top notch 

Good following obviously but its 10% of their home crowd.  If we were top 6ish and had won 3 on the trot and were generally on an upward curve, we'd take 10% of our crowd to any ground in the country.  When we went there, their fans werent happy at all and seemed to spend the first hour on the backs of their manager and players. Looking at them today, very very average, just adding to the frustration that we arent currently able to compete.

16 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Good following obviously but its 10% of their home crowd.  If we were top 6ish and had won 3 on the trot and were generally on an upward curve, we'd take 10% of our crowd to any ground in the country.  When we went there, their fans werent happy at all and seemed to spend the first hour on the backs of their manager and players. Looking at them today, very very average, just adding to the frustration that we arent currently able to compete.

When we romped in 1997 we didn’t take that to Portsmouth when we won 3-0 and we was top 

These men was 8th before the game and hadn’t won in 3 league away games 

I doubt very much we would of had the same 

Edited by radcliffe white

56 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

When we romped in 1997 we didn’t take that to Portsmouth when we won 3-0 and we was top 

These men was 8th before the game and hadn’t one in 3 league away games 

I doubt very much we would of had the same 

Took a football special train to Pompey full of lads in 76, we won 1-0 and Ian St John lost his job.

2nd Saturday on the run I am disappointed we have lost.

thought we did really well, defo red card for them.

how did O’Grady miss and not sure if it was a Matthews mistake for not holding on to the ball for the goal or the defence being slow to react.

we just aren’t getting decisions or the rub of the green

6 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

From where i was sat it looked like Matthews had pulled a worldie, he was just unlucky that some twat put the rebound in.

It's not the first time it's happened this season.

JSL.

Don’t think he had a particularly good starting position which was why he had to stretch for it. The initial attempt wasn’t exactly coming in at 100mph either, much like the first goal on Tuesday. He was a bit unlucky in that he tried pushing it away from goal and that it was right in to the path of the scorer, but I’d like to think another goalkeeper might not have needed to have stretched as much and would either have got enough behind it to push it further away or might have been able to drop on top of the ball and keep hold of it. 

3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Don’t think he had a particularly good starting position which was why he had to stretch for it. The initial attempt wasn’t exactly coming in at 100mph either, much like the first goal on Tuesday. He was a bit unlucky in that he tried pushing it away from goal and that it was right in to the path of the scorer, but I’d like to think another goalkeeper might not have needed to have stretched as much and would either have got enough behind it to push it further away or might have been able to drop on top of the ball and keep hold of it. 

I’m not a fan of Matthews, we should be looking for competition for him, he’s nowhere near good enough to be considered a shoe in to start week in week out. 

3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Was a cracking ball in that.

Not seen it back but at the time I thought our first challenge was poor, the save wasn’t bad and we were slow to follow up

Heard off a few closer to the goal that Matthews could/should have parried it wide but I dunno if that’s fair without seeing it again. Sounds plausible though as he’s far from convincing

• Site Supporter

I like Politic, think he’s going to be a cracking player, should have a career at championship level.

Matthews wasn’t convincing for the goal but having still not seen it back, I felt Emmanuel should have covered. Might well be barking up the wrong tree with that though.

The ref was abysmal. How the lad up top got taken off rather than sent off I’ll never know

• Moderators
8 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

I was definitely more impressed by Pompeys following today, than the creaming over Sunderland taking 4k to MK Dons though. 

aye, not that we'd ever take 4k, but, loads of teams take loads of fans to MK