Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Freddie hill

Farnywhite

22 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Take it no one old enough to see him play on here ? My dads favourite player for the whites 80 today last English man to score a hat trick in the top flight from what I know was a brilliant winger happy birthday 

O Freddie Hill is god

O Freddie Hill is god

OOOOOOO Freddie Hill is god

51 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Take it no one old enough to see him play on here ? My dads favourite player for the whites 80 today last English man to score a hat trick in the top flight from what I know was a brilliant winger happy birthday 

Watched him a lot in my boyhood days ....best footballer we had until JJ ....was my favourite at that time.

I was too young to really appreciate his talent. Was good enough to get a couple of England caps. Ended up working as a baker at Warbies, as did Wyn Davies. Difficult to imagine internationals today doing such a job.

With Syd, Roy and Eddie waiting for the FA Cup draw.

images (1).jpeg

Edited by Mannyroader

9 hours ago, Farnywhite said:

Watched him a lot as a kid, he was and still is my favourite player.

• Members

Saw him play quite a few times in his inimitable 'hunchback' style. Warby's banner along the back of the Embankment -  "Freddie Hill Alias God".

Used to see him mowing his lawn up Harwood Way - almost opposite St. Annes school. I remember him getting a couple of England caps. didn't he have a spell at Man City?

Marvellous footballer.

The Warbys reference made me laugh as a few supplemented their earnings that way. Remember the unforgettable Johnny Byrom moonlighting in the building game and dropping a load of bricks on his foot putting him out of action for a while? Seem to recall the 'you can earn extra money at Warbys' being talked about then.

Freddie Hill was one of the most skillful players ever to wear the white shirt.No pace whatsoever , needed a breather after one of his mazy dribbles even seen him walking back along the dirt track around the pitch getting his breath back!

He usually stepped up his game if the opposition was of a higher calibre. Liverpool in the League cup springs to mind .My best memory of him is being stood on the rain soaked embankment & seeing him emerging from the gloom ball at his feet dribbling past three or four Huddersfield players before plonking the ball in the back of the net.

Happy Birthday Fred.

7 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Does anyone remember thr huge banner that the warbies had on the embankment 'FREDDIE HILL ALIAS GOD'

There are a few good stories regarding this banner particularly when a warbies contingent took it to Halifax(where Fred had  been transfered to) & hostilities ensued.

You got Skippy on "Ignore"?

• Site Supporter
51 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Ha ha yeh .......just wondered if anyone had first hand knowledge of the battle of Halifax ?

An away day I missed unfortunately.

Can’t remember if it’s the day you’re on about but Bolton just rampaged through town around ‘72/73, smashing shop windows, smacking any lad over 14, it was lawless.

When we got into the ground, Halifax were backed up by some Bradford lads on their side but Bolton had the numbers.

I got nicked and got fined £10.

It was mistaken identity of course. 🙄

1 hour ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Does anyone remember thr huge banner that the warbies had on the embankment 'FREDDIE HILL ALIAS GOD'

There are a few good stories regarding this banner particularly when a warbies contingent took it to Halifax(where Fred had  been transfered to) & hostilities ensued.

Freddie Hill was just before my time and I unfortunately  never got to see him play

With regard to your question about the banner and the "Battle of Halifax"  , Bolton had been knocked out the FA Cup in 1969/70 at the 3rd round stage and as was quite common in those days they arranged a mid season friendly on what was an otherwise  blank FA Cup 4th round saturday away at Halifax ( 24 Jan 1970 ) , when Hill was still playing for Halifax. 

Thats most probably when your battle took place - small crowd , no police on duty and no visiting fans expected 

After Halifax Freddie moved on ( for substantially more than Bolton had sold him for ) to Man City and had a couple of good seasons there and played alongside the likes of  Lee , Bell and Summerbee - when City were one of the top clubs in England , he even got to play for them in Europe.  

24 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

Freddie Hill was just before my time and I unfortunately  never got to see him play

With regard to your question about the banner and the "Battle of Halifax"  , Bolton had been knocked out the FA Cup in 1969/70 at the 3rd round stage and as was quite common in those days they arranged a mid season friendly on what was an otherwise  blank FA Cup 4th round saturday away at Halifax ( 24 Jan 1970 ) , when Hill was still playing for Halifax. 

Thats most probably when your battle took place - small crowd , no police on duty and no visiting fans expected 

After Halifax Freddie moved on ( for substantially more than Bolton had sold him for ) to Man City and had a couple of good seasons there and played alongside the likes of  Lee , Bell and Summerbee - when City were one of the top clubs in England , he even got to play for them in Europe.  

24 minutes ago, Benny The Ball said:

.... and also Wyn Davies.   I recall a City forward line of Davies, Hill & Lee.

6 hours ago, Benny The Ball said:

Thanks that is why I couldnt find the match in my statto book & it was certainly the case that such 'friendlies' took place.I think the warbies went in peace to hand over the banner to Fred's new club but the ungrateful  inbreds did not behave well at all so it was wrapped up & brought back after some physical realignment of the aforementioned hillbillies.

Edited by Take Hunt Off

23 hours ago, Farnywhite said:

Yes - i'm getting biddyish and can remember him playing, very tidy footballer.

7 hours ago, Steejay said:

Can’t remember if it’s the day you’re on about but Bolton just rampaged through town around ‘72/73, smashing shop windows, smacking any lad over 14, it was lawless.

When we got into the ground, Halifax were backed up by some Bradford lads on their side but Bolton had the numbers.

I got nicked and got fined £10.

It was mistaken identity of course. 🙄

We had plenty of very handy lunatics following us that day.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

Just remember him as the prime exponent of the through ball. The player running on to it never had to break stride the pace on it was so perfect. It made a lot of goals for the like of Francis Lee and also made wingers like Brian Birch and Pilks look twice the players they were.

• Members
14 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Ha ha yeh .......just wondered if anyone had first hand knowledge of the battle of Halifax ?

An away day I missed unfortunately.

Mayhem. Always remember that end at The Shay which was basically a pile of cinders!

Earlier than this match, in the full blown skinhead era, I remember them turning up reasonably mob handed at Burnden. Fucking weirdo's.

Skinhead crops, mutton chops and the similarity ended there. Steel toe capped boots instead of DM's, 'Sea Dog' jeans instead of 501's and everything covered by military surplus greatcoats of all types - army, navy, air force and civil defence. They copped a pasting and deserved it for fashion crimes.