Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Division 4 roll call

tomski

1 hour ago, leigh white said:

That National League is a killer, so many teams Iv'e seen playing Wanderer's in the past, a very hard league to get out of.

Worse than that, Wrexham & Chesterfield are in danger of dropping again down to the National league north, York, Chester, Darlo & Hereford  are already there & Scarboro even further down. Oddly, I can't see anyone we've played in the National league south !!

5 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Worse than that, Wrexham & Chesterfield are in danger of dropping again down to the National league north, York, Chester, Darlo & Hereford  are already there & Scarboro even further down. Oddly, I can't see anyone we've played in the National league south !!

Aldershot (albeit, like Scarborough/Chester/Hereford/Darlington, a phoenix club rather than the club that we played previously) were supposed to have gone down to National League South last season but got a reprieve when Gateshead got kicked out. 

Edited by Leyther_Matt

9 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Aldershot (albeit, like Scarborough/Chester/Hereford/Darlington, a phoenix club rather than the club that we played previously) were supposed to have gone down to National League South last season but got a reprieve when Gateshead got kicked out. 

I know not Scarborough or Darlo, but if the others still play at the ground where we played them, i'm counting them as the same club 🙂

4 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Technically he's right as it would be our lowest ever finishing position.

I know what your saying but by that rule, if we win every game next season 10-0 its the 2nd worst season in our history!  No, this season is the worst in our history, we can hardly say the year we went up from Div 4 was worse.  Just like we cant say getting 98 points under Todd was worse than finishing bottom of the Prem the year before.  If we finish 7th or 8th next season its a far better season than this, because we would be competitive every week with hope of progressing.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I know what your saying but by that rule, if we win every game next season 10-0 its the 2nd worst season in our history!  No, this season is the worst in our history, we can hardly say the year we went up from Div 4 was worse.  Just like we cant say getting 98 points under Todd was worse than finishing bottom of the Prem the year before.  If we finish 7th or 8th next season its a far better season than this, because we would be competitive every week with hope of progressing.

I think last season was worse than this

• Site Supporter
On 19/01/2020 at 15:16, Dr Faustus said:

In, we are a lucky few to have seen our club in every division from the inception of the PL. How many have done it? 

Oldham

Bradford 

Bournemouth 

Pompey 

Swindon? 

OK not so lucky 😂 

On 19/01/2020 at 17:13, fatolive said:

Aye, but how many of those have watched their teams in all 4 divisions and European football ? 

Portsmouth & Burnley only two I can think of? 

On 19/01/2020 at 17:24, radcliffewhite1 said:

Swansea? 

On 19/01/2020 at 17:24, radcliffewhite1 said:

Fulham 

On 19/01/2020 at 17:29, ZicoKelly said:

Wigan

On 19/01/2020 at 17:33, radcliffewhite1 said:

Wolves 

Coventry have done all four divisions and would have played european football by virtue of their 1987 FA Cup victory but for those media darlings in Merseyside.

Edited by MickyD

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m hoping next season we’ve bottomed, can’t see how we continue with the unibol and all the associated costs with more than 1 or 2 seasons in league 3. Need to bounce back up first time. 

I don't think there's any doubt....

Is there? :unknw:

Surprised people are still banging the drum for us pissing these lower divisions. Haven't we learnt that trading on the club's name alone means nothing? Take away your natural biases and think:

- We're still going to be under an embargo 

- We have almost nobody under contract next year

- Any assets we do have coming are likely to be picked up by other clubs. Instead of Luca Connell, read Ronan Darcy and Dennis Politic (and then even if we do sell them, we can't reinvest that money due to the previously mentioned embargo!)

- We're not attractive to prospective players if all we can offer is relative peanuts, a big half-empty stadium and memories of the club being a force 15 years ago. Let's not forget, even Salford City (mid-table L2, 2500 United part-time fans on at best, fuck all history) can double the wages we can on strikers from the Scottish Prem.

Even thinking of promotion from L2 is, at this moment, a long long way from my thinking. I bet Bradford City fans thought they'd have no problem with League 2 when they went into it not long after they dropped out of the PL...

EDIT: I'm in, without a doubt

Edited by TM Trotter

13 hours ago, TM Trotter said:

Surprised people are still banging the drum for us pissing these lower divisions. Haven't we learnt that trading on the club's name alone means nothing? Take away your natural biases and think:

- We're still going to be under an embargo 

- We have almost nobody under contract next year

- Any assets we do have coming are likely to be picked up by other clubs. Instead of Luca Connell, read Ronan Darcy and Dennis Politic (and then even if we do sell them, we can't reinvest that money due to the previously mentioned embargo!)

- We're not attractive to prospective players if all we can offer is relative peanuts, a big half-empty stadium and memories of the club being a force 15 years ago. Let's not forget, even Salford City (mid-table L2, 2500 United part-time fans on at best, fuck all history) can double the wages we can on strikers from the Scottish Prem.

Even thinking of promotion from L2 is, at this moment, a long long way from my thinking. I bet Bradford City fans thought they'd have no problem with League 2 when they went into it not long after they dropped out of the PL...

EDIT: I'm in, without a doubt

Bang on, its the reality of where the club is at unfortunately. It's pissing me off at the moment why Politic & Darcy have not been given long term contracts. You just know there going to go for next to nothing yet again the clubs not learning. At the moment the money we have put in the academy has been a waste.

Edited by Okocha10

15 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

In a nutshell.

Until the dust has settled and we are under the same restraints (r otherwise) as everyone else we won't know our true position.

Let's just give it a go.

PS I know I previously said we'll piss it, but I was talking with my heart not my head.

I wasn't having a go - in my heart I'm the same, we should be stuffing the likes of Barrow and Macclesfield! I just wouldn't want us to get too cocky yet - there are fans of loads of decent sized clubs like Chesterfield, Stockport County, etc, who also probably thought that League 2 would be easy.

(Not that were on quite the same level, but the point does stand!)

5 hours ago, Okocha10 said:

Bang on, its the reality of where the club is at unfortunately. It's pissing me off at the moment why Politic & Darcy have not been given long term contracts. You just know there going to go for next to nothing yet again the clubs not learning. At the moment the money we have put in the academy has been a waste.

Under the terms of the embargo - are we allowed to hand out long term contracts??

19 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

Under the terms of the embargo - are we allowed to hand out long term contracts??

That Faal we signed got a 18 month contract other than that not to sure what terms we are under with our embargo.

Edited by Okocha10

On 23/01/2020 at 08:37, Okocha10 said:

Finally they have listened & got Politic signed up till 2022! Darcy & few other lads hopefully soon then we might building something for next season.