Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Catbells Walk In The Lakes

MancWanderer

Want to do it before the steroid injection wears off in my toe and stops me walking. First decent weather on a Saturday in Feb and I’m on it

Anyone here done it and any recommendations? Where to park? Which route? Only definite no-no for me is I’m not parking in Keswick and getting the ferry over

Ta

7 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Want to do it before the steroid injection wears off in my toe and stops me walking. First decent weather on a Saturday in Feb and I’m on it

Anyone here done it and any recommendations? Where to park? Which route? Only definite no-no for me is I’m not parking in Keswick and getting the ferry over

Ta

Text us tomorrow mate, my mum does Catbells all the time.

I've been hammering the Peak District in the last few weeks - can highly recommend for some great walks as an alternative to the Lakes. Beautiful scenery. Some challenging hill climbs. Stunning views. Etc. Pick a clear day with blue skies and its the best place on the planet.

Done Mam Tor twice - once from Edale with Lose/Win Hills and then from Castleton as a circular with Lose Hill. Dovestone Reservoir (up to Chew Res). Derwent Edge (Ladybower Res). And last Sunday with Andy D, managed to do Kinder Scout from Edale.

Hoping to get up to the Lakes in the coming weeks and months though and fancy Cat Bells for sure.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Where is doable with a pram? Been doing a few flat walks with the family the last few weeks but need to venture out a bit. 

What sort of pram- we had an all terrain job and went everywhere.

Is yours up to a bit of rough stuff, or just flat paths.

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

What sort of pram- we had an all terrain job and went everywhere.

Is yours up to a bit of rough stuff, or just flat paths.

It's not all terrain, it's a buggy with a bigger rear wheel so can handle a bit more than a flat path but nowt too rough. 

Plenty of space underneath the pram for 3l of frosty Jack's for the bright Meadows walk too. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, stevieb said:

It's not all terrain, it's a buggy with a bigger rear wheel so can handle a bit more than a flat path but nowt too rough. 

Plenty of space underneath the pram for 3l of frosty Jack's for the bright Meadows walk too. 

For somewhere not too far to travel, any of the local reservoirs. Also Phillips park-drinkwater park. Plenty of tracks, a bit of mud in places but not too bad. Can mooch alongside the river, and look out for kingfishers darting about.

A bit further, parts of the Preston guild wheel; along the Ribble and around Brockholes.

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

For somewhere not too far to travel, any of the local reservoirs. Also Phillips park-drinkwater park. Plenty of tracks, a bit of mud in places but not too bad. Can mooch alongside the river, and look out for kingfishers darting about.

A bit further, parts of the Preston guild wheel; along the Ribble and around Brockholes.

Did Brockholes last week and Entwistle the week before. Will have a look at the others you mention cheers! 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, stevieb said:

You can go along the side of the resi's up Rivi no worries. There is always Haigh Hall 😁

2 hours ago, Smiley said:

Dovestone Reservoir (up to Chew Res). 

Dovestones Skyline Walk is my “go-to” local walk if I don’t fancy a long drive. Up the side of the reservoirs, climb up the waterfall, walk along the ridge on the other side of the reservoirs and back down the tarmac road to the car park. About 4 hours

1 hour ago, stevieb said:

Where is doable with a pram? Been doing a few flat walks with the family the last few weeks but need to venture out a bit. 

Again Dovestones Reservoir. Fairly flat track up the reservoirs on a gentle incline. Great scenery. See a lot of families with these more robust prams. Take you an hour up and an hour back to the car. Decent walk

13 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Dovestones Skyline Walk is my “go-to” local walk if I don’t fancy a long drive. Up the side of the reservoirs, climb up the waterfall, walk along the ridge on the other side of the reservoirs and back down the tarmac road to the car park. About 4 hours

Again Dovestones Reservoir. Fairly flat track up the reservoirs on a gentle incline. Great scenery. See a lot of families with these more robust prams. Take you an hour up and an hour back to the car. Decent walk

We did that skyline walk in reverse to you, coming back down the hill from the monument just passed the waterfall. Then a quick drive into Holmfirth for a cream tea!

Would recommend Dovestone for a flat walk with a pram for sure. And Derwent/Ladybower reservoirs in Peak District - that place is stunning. Park up at Fairholmes Visitor Centre. 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g499572-d2323881-r402709185-Ladybower_Reservoir-Bamford_Hope_Valley_Peak_District_National_Park_England.html

Would also recommend investing in one of these. 

https://www.littlelife.com/products/child-carriers/ranger?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_fqa3JyX5wIVxbTtCh3FvA9VEAQYAyABEgI8ifD_BwE

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Nobster said:

Hillthwaite Hotel at Windermere decent food and short walk to Bowness.

49 minutes ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

Have stayed at Brantholme B&B and Regent Hotel in Ambleside with ours both good. 

Lamplighter Dining & Rooms Windermere also good. 

Cheers

Not altogether sure the dog, or me, are ready for this!

Previously we have just rented a cottage

Where does he sleep

What happens when he's covered in mud

Where dies he go while we eat/drink