Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

32 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

This is the best graphic to show how countries are dealing with it. Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong seem to have best controls thus far. 

The best data is the fatality data?

Again there seems to be a strange polarisation taking place here.

Same with global warming, Brexit, vegan etc etc

On one side you’ve the Brexiteers, meat eating, coal burning climate change deniers saying it’s all a pile of shit and there fuck all to worry about.

On the other side you’ve got the lefty leaning, vegan nonce brigade saying the worlds about to end and everybody should be wrapped in clingfilm sat in the basement.

weird how it always ends up one side against the other and it’s always the same people either side.

obvioulsy you’ve got sane people somewhere in the middle but those voices are never heard.

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

It's deeply controversial - but it makes some sense in a kind of brutal way. It also means we'd be better able to cope if the virus mutates like it did with the Spanish Flu. 

It wasn't the first round that did the real damage - it was the second. And those that had caught it first time around had protection. 

Bloody difficult call to make.

5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

On one side you’ve the Brexiteers, meat eating, coal burning climate change deniers saying it’s all a pile of shit and there fuck all to worry about.

On the other side you’ve got the lefty leaning, vegan nonce brigade saying the worlds about to end and everybody should be wrapped in clingfilm sat in the basement.

weird how it always ends up one side against the other and it’s always the same people either side.

obvioulsy you’ve got sane people somewhere in the middle but those voices are never heard.

I’m a remainer and think that whilst next few months will be painful and there will be deaths it will ultimately be ok. So not sure your theory holds. Loads of angry Brexiteers raging about is not closing borders etc.

3 minutes ago, kent_white said:

It's deeply controversial - but it makes some sense in a kind of brutal way. It also means we'd be better able to cope if the virus mutates like it did with the Spanish Flu. 

It wasn't the first round that did the real damage - it was the second. And those that had caught it first time around had protection. 

Bloody difficult call to make.

I agree. It’s a bigger gamble than others taking. May pay off. But there are loads of assumptions in there. The tight controls from outset may well ultimately not help but we’ve taken a risk. I hope it works out.

15 minutes ago, gonzo said:

The ones listening to expert advice vs the others who have decided the expert advice is flawed and it’s some sort of conspiracy theory 

Edit - interestingly Boris is on the side of the expert advice this time now he is in the big chair 

Edited by birch-chorley

This will make the 2008 crash look like a teddy bears pick nick 

Dofference is this isn’t structural like 2008, it’s a horrendous 12 months rather than 5 years+ 

Once we come out the other side next spring (with a vaccine) it will be boom time as a load of suppressed purchasing explodes 

Be a grim 2020 economically but then a huge 2021 (HY2) and beyond 

Youri's 'Strive to Stay Alive Coronavirus Survival Guide' ©

Daily Rations

Bourbon Creams, 36p per 300g (486 kcal per 100g) - will sustain life...

Multivitamins, 3.9p for One-a-Day - As the above 'food' has no nutritional value.

Blended 'Kentucky'* Bourbon - 700ml for £14, and a medicinal and germ-killing 40%.

* Distilled in a used cooking oil drum, behind the bins at Derby St. KFC.

Guaranteed survival for less than £15 per person per day.

A few packs of Bran Flakes may be needed to help shift the bourbon creams😉

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rudy’s Message said:

There’s being prepared and then there’s overeactive shopping. 

aye, along with her wine, the mrs has basically done a big, big shop to make sure we have stuff in - we are reactive eaters who tend to decide on the day what we are having for tea - but that may not work so well moving forward

so a big packet of chicken breasts, as opposed to the guy in the queue who had 20 packs of thighs, or the one who was loading up with cans of food by the packet (i.e. 24 cans, stacked 10 high)

I've also installed Uber Eats, Just Eat and Deliveroo on my phone so will be getting to know those apps tonight

3 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

The scientist bloke said I’d have a cough and a temperature. 

You're not going to get tested unless your illness is serious enough to go to hospital. So you'll likely never know if you've had it or not.For several months, every time you (or anyone in your household in a few weeks) gets a cough and/or a temperature, you're all going to be expected to stay in for 7 days. You might catch it next week, get no symptoms, but you're still gonna have to stay in if you get a cold later on

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

One thing for sure this will be good for the bank balance, no eating out, no pubs, holidays banned, no sort, I’ll save a fortune. 

Got to try and keep spending as much as we can, keep the economy going in the short term 

If everyone squirrels away it will make it worse 

1 minute ago, peelyfeet said:

You're not going to get tested unless your illness is serious enough to go to hospital. So you'll likely never know if you've had it or not.For several months, every time you (or anyone in your household in a few weeks) gets a cough and/or a temperature, you're all going to be expected to stay in for 7 days. You might catch it next week, get no symptoms, but you're still gonna have to stay in if you get a cold later on

This. My concern is some report their early symptoms as sore throat and runny nose. Tom Hanks for example. Was even said on BBC. Why not advise for those symptoms too? Or is that coming later?

29 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I’m a remainer and think that whilst next few months will be painful and there will be deaths it will ultimately be ok. So not sure your theory holds. Loads of angry Brexiteers raging about is not closing borders etc.

I’m significantly closer to you on this issue!