Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

Just now, Farnywhite said:

Go on then ? 

Viruses grow exponentially. This virus is transmitted to roughly 3 people from every 1 that is infected. 

Patient 1 infects 3 people. A few days later patient 2,3,4 infect 3 people each, so now you've got 13 infected. A few days later patient 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 infect 3 people each, so now you have 31 infected, and so on. That's exponential growth.

If a virus infects more than 1, it carries on infecting everyone until enough people in the herd have immunity to stop it.

The virologists estimate this virus needs to infect around 66%-80% of the world population before it stops. 

What % of the earth population do you think its infected so far?

1 minute ago, Farnywhite said:

Of course not but it’s not Armageddon like some are trying to make out 

We simply don’t know. And like I’ve said I’m Taking the reaction of the various governments around the world as a signal this is very very serious. They aren’t doing this for a laugh 

• Site Supporter

I'd be surprised if I don't have it/had it..

Workplace with 1700 people, students I teach daily were off with it (suspected as they dont diagnose it).

I don't tend to get Ill or stay Ill for long I'm sure there are others who will carry it and not notice. , 

11 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Viruses grow exponentially. This virus is transmitted to roughly 3 people from every 1 that is infected. 

Patient 1 infects 3 people. A few days later patient 2,3,4 infect 3 people each, so now you've got 13 infected. A few days later patient 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 infect 3 people each, so now you have 31 infected, and so on. That's exponential growth.

If a virus infects more than 1, it carries on infecting everyone until enough people in the herd have immunity to stop it.

The virologists estimate this virus needs to infect around 66%-80% of the world population before it stops. 

Fair play you have come up with some good figures there no idea if there right but take it they are but very few people who contract it will die unless you are at risk any way .under lying illness s etc . Not going to say anymore about it don’t want to wind any one up just my opinion 👍

Edited by Farnywhite

Just now, Farnywhite said:

Fair play you have come up with some good figures there no idea if there right but take it they are but very few people who contract it will die unless you are at risk any way .under lying unless etc . Not going to say anymore about it don’t want to wind any one up just my opinion 👍

Ok mate. The error a lot of people are making is thinking the amount of people dead so far is low compared to the world population, when It's only taken hold in 4 big cities so far, about 0.5% of the world population. If the virologists are right theres at least another 64.5% to get through yet

On the topic of exponential growth. A chessboard has 64 pieces.

If you put 1 grain of rice on the first square, 2 on the second, 4 on the 3rd, 8 on the fourth - so doubling each time. By the time you got to the 64th square you'd have put down 18,446,744,073,709,551,615.

Edited by kent_white

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Of course not but it’s not Armageddon like some are trying to make out 

Out of interest, what’s your body count that would be classed as “Armageddon”?

because if we carry on as we are, it’ll be tens of thousands by June.

Curious to know what would count, that’s assuming no one you know dies, in which case i imagine you’ll suddenly be taking it much more seriously,

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, kent_white said:

If you put 1 grain of rice on the first square, 2 on the second, 4 on the 3rd, 8 on the fourth - so doubling each time. By the time you got to the 64th square you'd need to put down 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 grains of rice.

Rice? You sound like Trump. China this, China that

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, kent_white said:

If you put 1 grain of rice on the first square, 2 on the second, 4 on the 3rd, 8 on the fourth - so doubling each time. By the time you got to the 64th square you'd have put down 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 grains of rice.

Bollocks. I'd have stopped putting them down at about 160 I reckon. Fuck that.

I was in Kunshan first week of January. Convinced now that I already had this virus as the flu and cough i had was unbearable, cut the trip short. Plus i got rinsed £3,900 on Nanjing Rd which didn't help. Anyway, long term pain for British manufacturing is my concern now

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

I reckon less than 0.001%

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, kent_white said:

If you put 1 grain of rice on the first square, 2 on the second, 4 on the 3rd, 8 on the fourth - so doubling each time. By the time you got to the 64th square you'd have put down 18,446,744,073,709,551,615.

How many bags of rice will i need to buy to test this theory?

And can anyone lend me a chess board?

7 hours ago, mickbrown said:

You’ve come around

I’ve always said it was a serious threat ive always taken heed of what the government have said and then made my own decisions around how I adjust my own life mick. As I’ve pointed out yesterday I’ve been effectively in isolation for last 5 days. Other than a trip to the supermarket which apparently according to @DirtySanchez I got wrong as I used the self checkout. How bad of me. 

this is a threat and I want to get back to normal ASAP and way we all do that really is digging in and trusting the people in charge of the country. Simple as that. It’s fucking boring but has to be done