Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

8 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Bad news is that. Good luck and thanks for all you and the NHS staff do. 👏👏👏

Thanks Mounts - I'm just a pen pusher at the moment though. Pretty sure I'll get asked to but my blues on again soon (I've already volunteered like) 🙂

Sorry if this has been posted. Just received it....

Just got this from a nurse friend Sharon.
This is a full and frank message. Please forward to the rest of the family, and your loved ones if you choose.

I had a meeting today with our Medical Director, who has been in touch with government. The following therefore has some authority. 

By the weekend, London will be in full lockdown, with Army manned checkpoints. Only key workers, NHS staff, police, ambulance, fire, delivery drivers, and teachers looking after the children of the above, will be allowed to move around the city.

By next week, those restrictions will apply to the country.

Tonight Lewisham Hospital is overwhelmed, ambulances on divert, and only a few ventilators left. QEH is close behind. My Trust is in the frontline of this epidemic, mainly due to local demographics. The rest of the NHS is probably little more than a week behind. We have denied critical care to four patients today, who will die as a result. 

I must now be clear. Anyone over 75 years old will be denied critical care; anyone over 65 with diseases, eg diabetes, COPD,  will be denied critical care. We are ramping up palliative care services. If an elderly patient falls sick, and requires hospital care, there will be an immediate DNAR order on them. They will be palliated, and they will live or die. The government forecast of 250,000 deaths is, we believe, hopelessly optimistic. 

The mortality rate is very high in the elderly. The ICU stay on a ventilator even in survivors is about three weeks. We will run out of ventilators in a week.

The Army is setting up field hospitals, no doubt with squaddies manually bagging patients. 

You will not hear this from Boris Johnson for a few days. But please be assured it is coming. We are two weeks behind Italy.

For the family therefore, anyone over 65 is to self isolate, possibly for many weeks. Maintain contact through frequent video calls. If they need food or supplies, take them over and leave the bags on the doorstep, and wave at them from at least a six foot distance. They are not to touch the bags for 15 minutes. Do not visit for 14 days if you or anyone in your household is unwell with and fever, cough or 'flu like symptoms. If you are unwell, stay indoors, along with your whole family. Have a neighbour or a friend drop off supplies, with no social contact.

We need to blunt the curve, which is right now exponentially rising. 

For myself, you cannot imagine the stress we are under. The awful decisions we will have to make. We will be taking otherise healthy 60 year olds off a ventilator to die so we can save a 30 year old. 

Please stay safe. I'll email when I can with news from the frontline.

With much love to you all,

11 minutes ago, Smiley said:

This is a full and frank message. Please forward to the rest of the family, and your loved ones if you choose.

I had a meeting today with our Medical Director, who has been in touch with government. The following therefore has some authority. 

By the weekend, London will be in full lockdown, with Army manned checkpoints. Only key workers, NHS staff, police, ambulance, fire, delivery drivers, and teachers looking after the children of the above, will be allowed to move around the city.

Tonight Lewisham Hospital is overwhelmed, ambulances on divert, and only a few ventilators left. QEH is close behind. My Trust is in the frontline of this epidemic, mainly due to local demographics. The rest of the NHS is probably little more than a week behind. We have denied critical care to four patients today, who will die as a result. 

I must now be clear. Anyone over 75 years old will be denied critical care; anyone over 65 with diseases, eg diabetes, COPD,  will be denied critical care. We are ramping up palliative care services. If an elderly patient falls sick, and requires hospital care, there will be an immediate DNAR order on them. They will be palliated, and they will live or die. The government forecast of 250,000 deaths is, we believe, hopelessly optimistic. 

The mortality rate is very high in the elderly. The ICU stay on a ventilator even in survivors is about three weeks. We will run out of ventilators in a week.

The Army is setting up field hospitals, no doubt with squaddies manually bagging patients. 

You will not hear this from Boris Johnson for a few days. But please be assured it is coming. We are two weeks behind Italy.

For the family therefore, anyone over 65 is to self isolate, possibly for many weeks. Maintain contact through frequent video calls. If they need food or supplies, take them over and leave the bags on the doorstep, and wave at them from at least a six foot distance. They are not to touch the bags for 15 minutes. Do not visit for 14 days if you or anyone in your household is unwell with and fever, cough or 'flu like symptoms. If you are unwell, stay indoors, along with your whole family. Have a neighbour or a friend drop off supplies, with no social contact.

For myself, you cannot imagine the stress we are under. The awful decisions we will have to make. We will be taking otherise healthy 60 year olds off a ventilator to die so we can save a 30 year old. 

250k? Is that worldwide? If that’s UK only I honestly am struggling to believe those figures 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

8 minutes ago, Smiley said:

I'm not sure it's wise to post these kinds of thing. They can't be properly verified and I doubt that someone trusted with such knowledge would be irresponsible enough to leak it.

3 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I'm not sure it's wise to post these kinds of thing. They can't be properly verified and I doubt that someone trusted with such knowledge would be irresponsible enough to leak it.

I would rather read it actually. I’m not going to panic but it just reinforces what is ACTUALLY happening in Italy right now so it’s better we get prepared for what is coming in the next week or so  

3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I would rather read it actually. I’m not going to panic but it just reinforces what is ACTUALLY happening in Italy right now so it’s better we get prepared for what is coming in the next week or so  

But surely it's only worth reading credible, verifiable information?

It reads just like one of those viral (no pun intended) emails that go round.

Don’t know what it’s like at Royal Bolton but it’s ramped up at Royal Oldham Hospital. No visitors at all now. MiL seriously ill but no idea on her current state. Up til today FiL was only one allowed to visit. He’s only allowed up now if he gets a phone call to say it’s end of life. No-one’s answering the phones because staff numbers are so stretched so can’t get any update. Dread to think what it will be like when the numbers inevitably increase

• Site Supporter

My 6 year old daughter has been fairly subdued today. Slept most of the afternoon.

Just given her some food and she’s saying she can’t taste anything.

I’ve just utterly shat myself. What do we do?

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

My 6 year old daughter has been fairly subdued today. Slept most of the afternoon.

Keep a cool head

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Spider said:

Isolate and look after yourselves.

Wife has heard there's also a chesty bug doing the rounds, which isn't obviously covid, but might share some symptoms.

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Isolate and look after yourselves.

Wife has heard there's also a chesty bug doing the rounds, which isn't obviously covid, but might share some symptoms.

I'm hoping that's what I've got