Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

From what I've read, it seems to be more serious for young people than had previously been thought. That might just be because we hear about the worst cases though.

But my general point is that it's a good rule of thumb to at least make sure there's a name or a source attached to the information before placing much trust in it. 

It does

"Smiley off wanderers ways"

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, gonzo said:

If anyone thinks this has even been close to a lockdown needs their heads checking. 

It’s been anything but for the self employed and nob jockeys fancying a mooch to the beach or country walk. 

Busses, trains and tubes running, taxis whizzing about and building sites full of lads all over the country.

painters, gardeners, roofers all grafting away outside folks houses today.

If your company decides you can’t WFH and doesn’t shut down you’re in work it’s as simple as that. 

Aye, we really have fucked about with the idea of lockdown, just like Italy did till it was too late

Should've gone all in from the off like Ireland did

You reap what you sow, and that goes for anyone who thinks it's business as usual

• Members
1 minute ago, ZicoKelly said:

Aye, we really have fucked about with the idea of lockdown, just like Italy did till it was too late

Should've gone all in from the off like Ireland did

You reap what you sow, and that goes for anyone who thinks it's business as usual

London is blowing my mind it really is. All the public transport open, construction still ongoing,  “key workers” 

The body count in London is going to be the biggest thing we’ve seen in a long long time 

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

From what I've read, it seems to be more serious for young people than had previously been thought. That might just be because we hear about the worst cases though.

But my general point is that it's a good rule of thumb to at least make sure there's a name or a source attached to the information before placing much trust in it. 

Following on from this

It's killed a teenager in California with no underlying health conditions

And he was denied help because he didn't have medical insurance

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-teenager-death-california-health-insurance-care-emergency-room-covid-19-a9429946.html

3 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Following on from this

It's killed a teenager in California with no underlying health conditions

And he was denied help because he didn't have medical insurance

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-teenager-death-california-health-insurance-care-emergency-room-covid-19-a9429946.html

I've read that. And also an 18-year-old woman in France and a 21-year-old woman over here. At face value, it's extremely concerning.

But again, we don't get to hear very much about the likely many more who make a full recovery or suffer few if any symptoms. It's also possible that in each of these tragic cases it might be that there were no known underlying health conditions, rather than there not being any.

Clearly though, it's something to be worried about.

7 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I've read that. And also an 18-year-old woman in France and a 21-year-old woman over here. At face value, it's extremely concerning.

But again, we don't get to hear very much about the likely many more who make a full recovery or suffer few if any symptoms. It's also possible that in each of these tragic cases it might be that there were no known underlying health conditions, rather than there not being any.

Clearly though, it's something to be worried about.

Perfectly healthy young people die from the flu. You just don’t hear about it. 

The data and numbers show the respective risks in each age group. But when dealin g with large numbers you will see people dying across the board. 

2 hours ago, Smiley said:

Sorry if this has been posted. Just received it....

Just got this from a nurse friend Sharon.
This is a full and frank message. Please forward to the rest of the family, and your loved ones if you choose.

I had a meeting today with our Medical Director, who has been in touch with government. The following therefore has some authority. 

By the weekend, London will be in full lockdown, with Army manned checkpoints. Only key workers, NHS staff, police, ambulance, fire, delivery drivers, and teachers looking after the children of the above, will be allowed to move around the city.

By next week, those restrictions will apply to the country.

Tonight Lewisham Hospital is overwhelmed, ambulances on divert, and only a few ventilators left. QEH is close behind. My Trust is in the frontline of this epidemic, mainly due to local demographics. The rest of the NHS is probably little more than a week behind. We have denied critical care to four patients today, who will die as a result. 

I must now be clear. Anyone over 75 years old will be denied critical care; anyone over 65 with diseases, eg diabetes, COPD,  will be denied critical care. We are ramping up palliative care services. If an elderly patient falls sick, and requires hospital care, there will be an immediate DNAR order on them. They will be palliated, and they will live or die. The government forecast of 250,000 deaths is, we believe, hopelessly optimistic. 

The mortality rate is very high in the elderly. The ICU stay on a ventilator even in survivors is about three weeks. We will run out of ventilators in a week.

The Army is setting up field hospitals, no doubt with squaddies manually bagging patients. 

You will not hear this from Boris Johnson for a few days. But please be assured it is coming. We are two weeks behind Italy.

For the family therefore, anyone over 65 is to self isolate, possibly for many weeks. Maintain contact through frequent video calls. If they need food or supplies, take them over and leave the bags on the doorstep, and wave at them from at least a six foot distance. They are not to touch the bags for 15 minutes. Do not visit for 14 days if you or anyone in your household is unwell with and fever, cough or 'flu like symptoms. If you are unwell, stay indoors, along with your whole family. Have a neighbour or a friend drop off supplies, with no social contact.

We need to blunt the curve, which is right now exponentially rising. 

For myself, you cannot imagine the stress we are under. The awful decisions we will have to make. We will be taking otherise healthy 60 year olds off a ventilator to die so we can save a 30 year old. 

Please stay safe. I'll email when I can with news from the frontline.

With much love to you all,

Lewisham hospital is my local one, got a letter for tests for next week, we’ll see. Drove past today, very quiet on the roads.

I currently don’t know anyone in London who has had this illness yet, and our office holds 2,000 people - whilst it’s obviously ahead here, there seems to be a regional panic/disconnect with how people are dealing with it or living in our city. 

Ring around London? I’ll remind you of that when your cases spike in two weeks time.

Just got the go ahead  to start the NHS voluntary transport work, i thought the checks might take longer than they have done due to the massive response they've had.

I'll make a start Monday morning when i've sobered up.

Only 21 confirmed cases so far in my area, but i guess this is going to rocket in the next few weeks.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

27 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Ring around London? I’ll remind you of that when your cases spike in two weeks time.

People seem to think it’ll spike nearer the end of May around here, I ain’t a clue who they are but they know far more than I do.   It’s all estimates I suppose, but doing the maths, area lifestyles and attitudes to playing ball give the boffins the idea when I should imagine.

12 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Just got the go ahead  to start the NHS voluntary transport work, i thought the checks might take longer than they have done due to the massive response they've had.

Only 19 confirmed cases so far in my area, but i guess this is going to rocket in the next few weeks.

Well done mate - superb effort!

19 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Bodies will be flown out to sea and chucked out. 
Either that or Trump buys Greenland and turns it into a mass mortuary. 
10m bodies @ £100 a pop. Nice earner. 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Mate of mine works for a Specsavers in the lab. All the plastic and lens manufacturers have shut down and they don’t think they’ll re-open until June.

Look after your glasses. 

2 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

The Visionaries will be fine 

I'll raise a glass or two to that.. 

• Site Supporter

people are saying it will peak in a few months.

We're all (mostly) staying in now, with little movement compared to just a week and half ago..

The schools are shut, that's 8.2million people no longer moving around compared to 7 days ago. Although there is some movement, it's nowhere near the same level. 

People over 65 are generally in lockdown that's about 12 million.

You have 1.5 million that are on 12 week quarentine, granted some may be kids or over 65, so say another million

That's over 20 million people not moving to the same extent as they were this time last week.

Not to mention the amount of people who have been furlonged.. or staying at home due to chidlcare..

There are 3 million muslims who usually pray throughout the week, they can't anymore

The whole system has slowed down massively, granted people are still going out, but people are visably behaving differently. No personal space invaders, no mass meetings, or shoppings. 

We will beat this, The movement is now a fraction. 

21 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Only 19 confirmed cases so far in my area, but i guess this is going to rocket in the next few weeks.

How’s it work? You use your own car?

• Moderators
11 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

mate lives in Dubai, they all have to stay in this weekend whilst they disinfect the city using drones

Daughter is in the same line of work

She has to deliver video lessons to her pupils each day

Fcuk knows why our lot aren t doing the same

She's just worried she can't come home in June, already had to cancel Ipswich away